Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2020, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you're happy at 35mm and enjoy lower light photography, there's one more you might add to your list for consideration, and it's Pentax - not third party... either the older SMC or updated HD FA35 f/2. It's compact, solid, optically good enough to shoot wide open (though I prefer it from f/2.2 onwards) and image quality is excellent. It may not seem like much difference to your DA35 f/2.8 Macro Limited, but wide open it's a whole stop faster, and frankly they're just different lenses. The SMC version typically sells used for around GBP £150 - £200 (they seem cheaper in the USA - not sure why), but make sure you get the hood and original caps if paying the higher end of that. The HD version, new, occasionally drops below the GBP £300 mark, and is worth looking out for in January when the dealers are looking to boost post-Christmas sales. I got lucky with mine at £249, but haven't seen it that cheap since.

EDIT: "gwcameras" on eBay UK has an ex-display one, as new condition but tatty box, for £289 inc. 12 month warranty. You might get an unopened, pristine box, fresh-from-stock example for that kind of price in the New Year, but if you wanted the lens and money is burning a hole in your pocket, this would be a decent option. I've dealt with gwcameras before, with no problems...

That wasd just cruel! I really want one of these now! Its funny (aka really annoying) how lenses in Japan are £100 cheaper

12-14-2020, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
That wasd just cruel! I really want one of these now!
Then my work here is done

Its funny (aka really annoying) how lenses in Japan are £100 cheaper
I've wondered why that is too. Perhaps it's because Japan is both Pentax' domestic and largest market, so there's likely more of everything available? More competition between sellers and/or greater supply than demand? Honestly, I don't know for sure. In the UK we seem to pay top money for just about everything... At least, it seems that way at times
12-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I've wondered why that is too. Perhaps it's because Japan is both Pentax' domestic and largest market, so there's likely more of everything available? More competition between sellers and/or greater supply than demand? Honestly, I don't know for sure. In the UK we seem to pay top money for just about everything... At least, it seems that way at times
Oh dear, we're quickly sliding into politics, I fear.
12-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well I do like my Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM

QuoteQuote:
Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 vs F4.0-5.6
Introduction
Have you ever wished for a do-over on a project? Sometimes you finish up a project and realize that maybe you should have done something a little different. Well, this one of those situations. After completing the comparative review of the Pentax 12-24mm, Sigma 12-24mm, and the Tamron 10-24mm, a lot of forum members said that we should have selected the Sigma 10-20mm, instead of the Sigma 12-24mm. Well you can’t rewrite history, but you can to listen to your forum members. We listened!

In this comparative review, we will take a detailed look at the two Sigma 10-20mm lenses that are currently available. The Sigma lenses are considered ultra-wide angle lenses. A wide-angle lens, by definition, has a focal length shorter than the long side of the camera sensor. The APS-C sensor, used in all Pentax DSLR’s, is approximately 24 mm x 16 mm. This means that any lens with a focal length between 24mm and 16mm is considered wide angle. An ultra-wide angle lens has a focal length less than the short side of the camera sensor. All ultra-wide angle lenses provide the photographer a wider view, with some distortion, which is the appeal of the ultra-wide angle lens. . . .
Read more at: Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 vs F4.0-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

12-14-2020, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Then my work here is done . . .
show off
12-15-2020, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Oh dear, we're quickly sliding into politics, I fear.
No politics here. I was referring to Pentax' proliferation in its domestic market, the economics of supply and demand, and the difference in prices between different countries...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-15-2020 at 02:22 AM.
12-15-2020, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I've actually bought 3 lenses from the UK because even with the more expensive shipping (typically 15-20€ instead of the usual 5€ within Germany) they are substantially cheaper! Finding a 35/2 under 300€ is quite uncommon here... for the SMC. The HD is roughly the same price (!!) and I'm currently eyeing one, but then again do I need a 35/2? Should I pay about a hundred more and get the 43 instead? Is the 43 different enough from the 50/1.7?

These kinds of thoughts, near a lonely Christmas, are very dangerous .

On topic: I hear the Tamron 90/2.8 (I have the older 90/2.5 1:2 macro) is very good, and that their 70-200/2.8 is a very good budget alternative to other options.

Laowa makes very interesting lenses, although all of them are manual.

---------- Post added 12-15-20 at 04:43 AM ----------

That wasd just cruel! I really want one of these now! Its funny (aka really annoying) how lenses in Japan are £100 cheaper
Every time I think of pulling the trigger on a lens from Japan I remind myself of the 23.7% added tax (6.7% import duty + multiplicative 16% VAT for both lens AND shipping [shakes fist]) and then I grumble for 10 seconds and stop having LBA for a while

That Toki 80-200/2.8 AF in pristine condition for 350€ would have been an instant buy otherwise

12-15-2020, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Well, Sigma no longer make K-mount lenses and Tamron make very few, though some new old stock is still around and there's plenty on the used market.

Of the modern AF third-party lenses I've tried I'd say the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 stands out as an exceptional lens which is not only very useful due to it's focal range and wide aperture, but also has beautiful rendering that you don't often get from any lens, third-party or otherwise.

The Tamron equivalent is also pretty good, though less well-built, no AF motor and without the little bit of magic in the rendering.

I'm not a huge fan of ultra-wides but the Sigma 10-20/3.5 is pretty good and useful if you want something in that vein.

I also have a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX macro which is superb - extremely sharp even wide open. I've passed on several copies of the Pentax equivalent because I just can't see how they could improve on the results I get from the Sigma.
12-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

Every time I think of pulling the trigger on a lens from Japan I remind myself of the 23.7% added tax (6.7% import duty + multiplicative 16% VAT for both lens AND shipping [shakes fist]) and then I grumble for 10 seconds and stop having LBA for a while

That Toki 80-200/2.8 AF in pristine condition for 350€ would have been an instant buy otherwise
Here it is 20% + £9 to parcel force. My 18-135 & 35mm limited were still both cheaper than UK alternatives my 40mm XS was best, the seller marked it as a gift
12-16-2020, 03:25 AM   #25
Pentaxian

No politics here. I was referring to Pentax' proliferation in its domestic market, the economics of supply and demand, and the difference in prices between different countries...
And it seems difficult to talk about this for the UK without the word Brexit coming up, is what I mean.
12-16-2020, 03:46 AM   #26
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
And it seems difficult to talk about this for the UK without the word Brexit coming up, is what I mean.
For some, perhaps, but not me. Long before that matter ever came up, there's been general pricing differences on cameras and lenses between the UK, EU, USA, Japan, Australia etc. These are all market economies, with prices more-or-less reflecting supply and demand - and where demand is heavily influenced by a population's willingness to accept or reject products and services depending upon price...
12-16-2020, 04:34 AM   #27
Pentaxian

For some, perhaps, but not me. Long before that matter ever came up, there's been general pricing differences on cameras and lenses between the UK, EU, USA, Japan, Australia etc. These are all market economies, with prices more-or-less reflecting supply and demand - and where demand is heavily influenced by a population's willingness to accept or reject products and services depending upon price...
I would imagine that a market full of early adopters would have generally higher prices, because more stock would be bought and priced for the top end, higher than the same stock in countries with less keen early adopters. This would lead to smaller shipments for the more affordable segments, pulling up those prices as well. From a value-for-money point of view, you probably want to be in the middle between that extreme and the other one.
12-16-2020, 05:06 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I do real estate photography so I use the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 version. And I've also noticed that quite a few other Pentax owners use this same lens for interiors and architectural photography. Of course Sigma don't make lenses any more for Pentax cameras, but there are plenty of few second hand ones out there!
12-16-2020, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
I do real estate photography so I use the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 version. And I've also noticed that quite a few other Pentax owners use this same lens for interiors and architectural photography. Of course Sigma don't make lenses any more for Pentax cameras, but there are plenty of few second hand ones out there!
It is top of my 3rd party list, especially as it is a reasonable price. Real estate photography eh? My other game, when I am not hunting lenses, is looking at houses in Spain. I will never be able to afford one but there is no harm in dreaming. It all stemmed from watching "a place in the sun". What I want to know is why are so many houses presented so badly? The photos are the worst, quite often the houses look a mess, the images are taken from strange angles and often don't give you a clue as to the size, shape or layout. Do Spanish estate agents just pluck someone off the street? If you decide to start an agency to show them how it should be done, can I come and work for you, please
12-17-2020, 01:52 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is top of my 3rd party list, especially as it is a reasonable price. Real estate photography eh? My other game, when I am not hunting lenses, is looking at houses in Spain. I will never be able to afford one but there is no harm in dreaming. It all stemmed from watching "a place in the sun". What I want to know is why are so many houses presented so badly? The photos are the worst, quite often the houses look a mess, the images are taken from strange angles and often don't give you a clue as to the size, shape or layout. Do Spanish estate agents just pluck someone off the street? If you decide to start an agency to show them how it should be done, can I come and work for you, please
You might be getting the "UK retiree" price displayed
Jokes aside housing in Spain got ridiculously expensive in the last couple decades... And in my experience, the landlords take their own photos many times so beware of bad, bad phone images