Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2020, 07:05 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Unfortunately the lure of Instagram/Facebook fame claims yet another victim. It’s a long way down from that spot.
Indeed!

This is why social media is such a curse on humanity. These media companies profit richly from images/videos or people doing very stupid things. The companies do everything they can (including sharing the wealth with some posters) to encourage ever more extreme behavior.

Although banning these kinds of images/videos is impossible, perhaps the park service can find a new revenue source to help boost park services. Something like a fine of $1000 (first offense.. more for repeat offenses) would bring in much-needed money to the park. Prosecution would be easy -- the perpetrators provide the evidence of their crime!

12-16-2020, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

I feel sorry for the family having their wife/mother lose her life in such a careless way.

We are too used to feeling safe wherever we go and whatever we do. The wilderness is still the wilderness.
12-16-2020, 07:56 AM   #48
Forum Member

Some things are just not worth the risk. Be safe out there!
12-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love Yellowstone, been there many times over the years. Had to yell at stupid people to get back in their cars and not run up to the Buffalo. A few years back, the first fatality of the season was a young girl who was one of the seasonal employees, she went to look out over a viewpoint and fell, park hadn't even opened yet....

One time, I learned quickly that too many tourists feed the Buffalo through the car window. I went to lower my window a bit so my wife wouldn't get a glare in her picture. Buffalo heard the sound of the power window and stuck its nose right up to the glass. Even when you follow the rules, remember, the Buffalo can't read. This past summer, some lady was at the lodge, came around a corner and ran right into a Buffalo. She was pushed off the path by it but was ok.

12-26-2020, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Indeed!

This is why social media is such a curse on humanity. These media companies profit richly from images/videos or people doing very stupid things. The companies do everything they can (including sharing the wealth with some posters) to encourage ever more extreme behavior.

Although banning these kinds of images/videos is impossible, perhaps the park service can find a new revenue source to help boost park services. Something like a fine of $1000 (first offense.. more for repeat offenses) would bring in much-needed money to the park. Prosecution would be easy -- the perpetrators provide the evidence of their crime!
Old hat to look thru social media in city police depts. But I've also seen game wardens now doing this for some years even on their limited budgets and research resources. Turns out poachers are proud of their "kills" and want to show the world. No reason park wardens couldn't follow suit.

Last edited by jgnfld; 12-26-2020 at 11:07 AM.
12-26-2020, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sorry for the personal tragedy, but it isn't hard to see this for what it is worth. Her death likely won't stop many others. Like I'm sure most of you have witnessed, I've seen those jump over the barricade people in numerous areas, the get close to bison or bear photographers, and those people driving and photographing in traffic. Just as our current experience with people refusing to wear masks, large brained primates often have a short circuit when it comes to taking photos.
12-26-2020, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm okay with people taking risks that endanger themselves but don't endanger others. I just don't want to pay for the consequences. Unfortunately, when someone gets injured, we have to send people in to help which risks those lives as well and costs taxpayers money. I say leave them and notify their friends and relatives to rescue them :-) Okay, maybe not.

12-26-2020, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

As someone who enjoys photographing Railways and Rolling Stock, I am appalled at the number of people who, when a famous Loco is due (vide Flying Scotsman), will climb through or break down fences, then stand on the track to try to photograph the train, or even more stupidly, let their children wander along the rails. BTP already have to run 'Q' trains to prevent this happening, but sooner or later some idiot will end up festooned over the buffer beam, and the practice of running vintage stock on the main line will end forthwith. 'Ignorance can be cured - stupidity can not'.
12-28-2020, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #54

Horseshoe Bend, just outside of Page, AZ is another spot where instagramers have taken their final photo. Because there's no rail at the edge, I shot this photo by creeping forward on my belly and extending my arms while using the LV to see what I was shooting. Lots of respect for a nearly 1000 foot vertical drop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
12-28-2020, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Unfortunately the lure of Instagram/Facebook fame claims yet another victim. It’s a long way down from that spot.
I was in Yosemite in 2016, and the place we rented had a book about all the people who had died falling from very high places in the park. Many, many of them were from 50 or 100 or more years before social media was invented. People being stupid claimed another victim. Social media is just a symptom, and perhaps a little bit of an incentive to be stupid.
12-28-2020, 06:53 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Once gain, people go to places like this, they know statistically something will happen sooner or later. They for some reason believe it won't happen to them.
Australian woman dies trying to take photo at edge of 262-foot cliff | CNN Travel

Stay safe.
Ten feet tall and bullet proof!!
12-28-2020, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

As tragic as it is it's just an example of reality. I think the real lesson is to do things more intelligently not don't do things with some inherent risk.
12-28-2020, 09:07 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
As tragic as it is it's just an example of reality. I think the real lesson is to do things more intelligently not don't do things with some inherent risk.
My rule of thumb is, "what happens if I trip over nothing" (anyone who has watched sports knows, sometimes people trip over nothing.)

For some shots, ropes and some kind of harness are required. My favourite trick is to find a solid tree I can brace on.
12-28-2020, 04:37 PM - 2 Likes   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I was in Yosemite in 2016, and the place we rented had a book about all the people who had died falling from very high places in the park. Many, many of them were from 50 or 100 or more years before social media was invented. People being stupid claimed another victim. Social media is just a symptom, and perhaps a little bit of an incentive to be stupid.
You could almost understand it a hundred years ago. You get disoriented with your head under the blanket behind the giant large format camera, get blinded by the little tray of flash powder or pass out from the effort of hoisting a giant graflex camera for a selfie.
12-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My condolences to the lady's family and loved ones.
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I agree with ZombieArmy. To quote Bilbo, "It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to".

My favorite hikes have always been off the beaten path. No railing, or fence, or signs to warn of the dangers (that should be obvious anyway). It's also possible, with the right lens, and a good angle to get a picture that looks much scarier than it really is.
Attached Images