Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #31

Photos: Albums
I love my K-S2! As photography is a hobby for me, this little camera has everything I need for my level of experience. Now that it’s lost it’s ability to stay connected to wifi, I am torn as to what I should do. Buy another K-S2 or two (used obviously) and have a back up plus another? Or consider upgrading? It truly pains me at the thought of changing cameras.

Why do we get so attached to certain models?

12-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Phyllis - would an add-on wifi SD card work for that camera? It might be worth looking into. Cheaper than a new camera. I'm no expert on those, but you might poll the gang here with that question. You're right, it would be a shame to have to let a favourite camera go just because of that.
12-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Had I had the funds at the time, I would have bought another K-01 for redundancy (and I would be using the backup now as mine came down with stuck shutter syndrome). I really liked that camera, but when it died I got a good deal on a new K-70 with a 5 year warranty so went there. I won't get a second copy though, I'll just wait to win the KP raffle.
12-23-2020, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are the models I have multiple fully working examples of:

3 Pentax KX
2 Pentax KM
2 Pentax P3N

2 Nikon FE
2 Nikon F2
2 Nikkormat EL

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-24-2020 at 04:40 AM.
12-24-2020, 01:10 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I have no duplicate film bodies but if I did, I’d get another Super Program and Program Plus. Super Program because the one I have has some glitches and Program Plus because I really like it. But there are too many bodies I don’t have yet before I start getting duplicates, MX for instance.
12-24-2020, 01:19 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I had previously owned multiple ME Supers, which I sold on to fund other items. I picked all of them up cheap so sold/traded at a profit. I didn't really intend to get multiple copies of them, so selling them on was an easy option for me.

MX's however, I have two. Recently had them serviced here in the UK and they both now work flawlessly. One has a SMC-M 35mm f/2.8 on the front and the other an SMC-M 50mm f/1.4, though I'm tempted to change that up to an f/1.7 which is sitting on my shelf.
I'd really love a black one but they're few and far between and picking up crazy prices these days.
12-24-2020, 02:25 AM   #37

I had 2 EOS 1vhs at one point. Did I like them so much I bought 2? No. I accidentally clicked the submit button twice back in the dark ages of the web that was 2006. And the business closed their doors shortly thereafter. so I got stuck with an overpriced film camera for a few months trying to pawn it off on ebay without losing too much money. thankfully I just about made even in the end.

12-24-2020, 09:10 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first Pentax cameras, the ME Super, I bought 2 of, after my all-manual Vivitar SLR stopped working after 6 years. I finally gave both away in mint condition (maybe I should have kept one). I still have a Super Program. I still have 2 PZ-1p bodies, the most advanced Pentax 35mm film design, 2 ZX-L's as they also can use both an aperture ring or none, and then got 2 of the MZ-S, black and silver, which I still have.

My DSLR models have all been singles, except for my 2 KP bodies, which I've had for over 2 years now, and glad of it.
12-25-2020, 01:48 AM   #39

PENTAX K20D was my first DSLR, it gave me great satisfaction and I still have it.

PENTAX K5II I just love it.
12-25-2020, 03:08 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not sure if I would duplicate. I love both my KP and K3 for different reasons. I think if I were to have a second it would be a KP-J in red, because, damn! I would love a K-S1, K-01, K-S2, my old K30 back and, of course a K1 and a K3iii. Of course, if a second K3 fell in my lap, it would get so much love
12-25-2020, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #41
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how about sensors?

have you ever found yourself smitten by a specific sensor?

the 16mp sensor found in the K-50 and K-5 models seemed magical.....

the 24mp sensor found in my Fuji X-T2 and X-H1 seemed possibly sprinkled with pixie dust, as well....
12-25-2020, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
how about sensors?

the 24mp sensor found in my Fuji X-T2 and X-H1 seemed possibly sprinkled with pixie dust, as well....
The 16mp sensor really loves classic glass! I kept my K-5iis just to use with m42 and K mount 1950-80s lenses.
12-25-2020, 09:26 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Back in film days I nearly always had 2 camera bodies. I started with Practika, Yashica, and upgraded to Pentax. All the bodies had similar controls as, even if some were slightly differently located, the basic format was similar. I had no problem switching between bodies. I stayed with Pentax when moving to digital, and the K100D felt familiar even though there were new controls and a vast array of menu items.

The K100D had battery problems(to which I think I've found a solution) but was my only digital camera for some time until I added a K30. The K100D had become virtually unusable at the time. My serious interest in photography was rekindled by the K30 and I added a K50 to get back to having 2 bodies.

When the ABF problem became known to me, I decided to upgrade and I bought a K3ii which felt a massive upgrade in my hands. The controls were different and I missed a few shots because of it and I decided to add a second K3ii - it is the only camera of which I've had more than a single copy.

The K50 has started to show signs of ABF, and I've bought white solenoids to repair both K30 and K50, if necessary, and these will remain my backup "set".
12-25-2020, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
how about sensors?

Yes! For me it's the K5ii and K10D. I keep getting tempted by the KP and K1, then I go back and look at images from my old cameras and wonder why? There's such richness and depth that I haven't seen much of from the newer sensors. I fear I would be disappointed if I spent the money chasing a magic wand upgrade.

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
The 16mp sensor really loves classic glass! I kept my K-5iis just to use with m42 and K mount 1950-80s lenses.
Agreed! I've been getting wonderful results from some of my old lenses. Luminous, with lovely 3D depth. And certainly more than adequately sharp.