Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2020, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2 K-3's because they just feel right, have duel cards slots, have pretty good battery light and the mixed light white balance. That is why I'm patiently waiting for the K3 iii
2 K-30's because they have a great little sensor ,weather sealed and I had not had a K-3 yet

12-17-2020, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have some duplicates, but only in fixed lens film cameras - pretty much identical pairs save for different lenses on each, which is intentional for their different rendering.

Rollei 35SE (Sonnar) and 35TE (Tessar): the Sonnar is softer contrast but higher resolution; works beautifully with TMX and FP4; the Tessar is also very sharp, but more contrasty, and gives some punch to HP5 and TriX for a classic look.

Rolleiflex 3.5F (Planar) and 3.5C (Xenotar): the Planar is bitingly sharp (incredible lens, really), has great contrast and tonal depth, and makes any film look good; the Xenotar is my landscape and nature camera, as the lens renders in a softer, more organic way, equally high resolution, but just incredible tonality with PanF or even TriX.

As for digital, I have the K5ii and K10D, which are quite different and I don't consider them to be duplicates. However, with a bit of tweaking in post, I can get the K5ii images to come pretty darn close to the K10D rendering....close, but not quite there. I'm seriously pondering an upgrade from the K5ii to a K1 (I like big prints!).

Cheers,
Svend
12-17-2020, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

I don't have multiple copies of any digital cameras and I don't think I'd ever consider getting one.

Film cameras on the other hand are a different matter.

MX x4 - because it's a nice small manual SLR
SFXn 3 or 4 - because it's AF, can run on AAs (with the right grip), solidly built and can go to 1/4000s
Z1 x2 (including one on it's way) - because it's a solid AF SLR and one of very few that goes to 1/8000s
Minolta SR-T cameras - no two exactly the same but they're all very, very similar - because they're manual, solid and soooo nice to use
12-17-2020, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay I'll join in here, but keep in mind this is ebay's fault. I CAN control the GAS.
Pentax - 2 MX, 2 ME Super, 2 Super Program, 2 P645
Ricoh - 2 XR2s, 2 XR7
Minolta - 3 SRT101, 2 XE7
Sometimes an extra body comes along with that must have lens you've talked yourself into needing.
My REAL intention is to unload these extras and buy more copies of the cameras it makes more sense to have like a second LX and a second P645NII. I really need them.

12-17-2020, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Jonathan Mac; @From1980 -- OK, you guys are making me want another MX I have my original that I bought in about 1982, black finish that is beautifully worn and brassed (love that camera!). But it would be cool to get a silver one and replace the leather cover, just for fun. A nice rich brown would look sweet on that camera.
12-17-2020, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ME Super: I have a whole bunch of ME Supers as backups of backups for my brother and I.

Nikon F5: I have three of these. The first I bought had a broken aperture lever but was otherwise mint. I loved the camera so much I bought a battered body and swapped the prism and focus screen onto it. Then I bought a pristine third camera because I reeeeally like them
12-17-2020, 11:24 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

OK... I'll play

I'll start with the K-3 and K-3II. Yes, they're a bit different... I actually wanted a second K-3, but the K-3II was briefly discounted to a price I couldn't ignore (never to be repeated, in fact - even when final stock was cleared), so that's what I bought. For the purposes of this thread, I think they qualify as (almost) the same camera

I have an enduring love affair with the Pentax K10D and Samsung GX-10, which are more-or-less the same camera. I have just one "genuine" K10D, but no less than three GX-10s I love the simplicity and ruggedness, plus of course the output, whether it's due to the CCD sensor and / or manufacturer's colour profiling. Oh, and I have two SBG-D1V battery grips for the GX-10s, which it seems are only slightly less rare than hen's teeth. The K10D grip doesn't fit, due to a cunning (and, I'm sure, wholly intentional) design change on the body.

I have two Olympus Trip 35 film compacts, both in near-pristine order with working selenium metering and fresh light seals. Sadly, I never got round to using them before I switched to digital. I really must run a roll through one of them, just for the fun of it. If it was good enough for David Bailey, surely it's good enough for me?

I also own two Russian Lomo LC-A 35mm film compacts - one, an earlier model with GOST film speed settings, and the other a later ASA-calibrated model... plus an LC-A+ which is a much later, tinny, rattly Chinese-made "evolution" of the original. I became fond of the LC-A during my "Lomo" period, and still like the quality of images it produces, even if I've moved on from that particular (lack of) photographic discipline.

Next up are two Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim 35mm compacts, one still boxed and unused. Like the LC-A, this is a bit of a cult camera for the Lomo hipsters. Fashioned entirely from the finest lightweight Chinese plastics (the lens too, I believe) and with its 22mm fixed focus, fixed f/11 aperture lens and fixed (vaguely) 1/125s shutter, it is the very essence of a throw-away camera - except when it comes to image quality, which really is a delight. Due to the weak plastic gears inside, 36 exp film is its Nemesis... only 24 exp rolls must be used (I know this, because the first one I owned broke on the second 36 exp roll). Perhaps this is why there are so few of them around these days. Hipster appeal has pushed used prices above $50 which is utter, utter madness... unless, I suppose, you absolutely must own one at any price...

Finally... two Holga 120N 6x6 medium format cameras. Even more plastic in it than the Vivitar UW&S, and much lower image quality - but it's medium format, so it must be good. The 60mm "f/8" (?) lens is inscribed with the words "OPTICAL LENS", which is a helpful reminder for any professional photographer. Wikipedia says: "The Holga's low-cost construction and simple meniscus lens often yields pictures that display vignetting, blur, light leaks, and other distortions. The camera's limitations have brought it a cult following among some photographers, and Holga photos have won awards and competitions in art and news photography. As of November 2015, production of this camera has ceased.". What can I say? It's full of character, but not nearly the 645Z backup you were hoping for...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-17-2020 at 11:58 AM.
12-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I cant seem to get past the K-30. I got a K-5 and after a bit I went back to it. then I got the K-1 and sold the K-30. but lately I have been looking for a good deal on a used one to get it back.
12-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #24
Pentaxian

K-3 and then bought the K3-II (because of the better AF algorithm) - probably ought to try to sell the K-3 because it got much less use than the K-3 II after I bought the latter.

K-30 (now "K-50" with a "white" solenoid) and much later the K-70 - after which the K-30 was retired because the latter is much "nicer" to use, but the K-30 won't get sold as I may need it if the K-70 gets ABF and needs to be repaired (another "white" solenoid ready and waiting for that!).

Back in the film days, I generally had a couple of M42 bodies (still got a couple), then Practica PB bodies (still a couple of those) and a couple of KA bodies (again, 2, but 1 is Chinon and the other is an MZ-5, which also has a "white" solenoid to donate if ever necessary) - none of those have any real resale value so they'll probably stay in the cupboard "forever" as I have no "real yearning" to shoot film again.

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-17-2020 at 04:18 PM.
12-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I have 2 *ists, 2 MZ-Ss, 3 Super Programs and a Super A, and 2 ME Supers. The *ists, MZ-Ss, and Super Programs I have intentionally as backups, I just ended up with the multiple ME Supers.
12-17-2020, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have 4 K-01's, 2 black, a yellow and a blue.
3 Q's, well Q10,Q7 and Q-S1 that count?
12-17-2020, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did purchase a second Ricoh GR III while I was waiting for some warranty work on my original... once I got everything back I eventually decided to sell on the first one, with an expiring warranty, and keep only the new one with a brand new warranty (plus extended warranty this time). I only kept one, but I bulked up my insurance on it!

I approve of the GX85, that is one capable little camera. I used it for a solid 3.5 years before upgrading to the GX9. The newer camera does have better IQ, but not by enough to make a large difference. The GX85 was the first home run camera from Panasonic in a long time.
12-17-2020, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Minolta - 3 SRT101, 2 XE7
Reminded me that once upon a time, I did have (2) Minolta SRT-202 and (2) Maxxum 9000. Everything stolen but the thief left my precious Pentax 645 on the floor. I'm grateful he found medium format too heavy to bother with.
12-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

I did own 3 LX bodies up until a short time ago. When I was shooting film, one had B&W, one had colour print and my favourite of the three was loaded with Kodachrome.
I don't see any point in owning multiple digital bodies at this point in my life, though were I still shooting professionally I would.
12-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never had any real duplication in cameras - the closest being a 67 and a 67ii, which was more of a case of an upgrade where I couldn't bear to get rid of the earlier model - which isn't to say that I haven't loved all the cameras I've had (the word Pentax being superfluous in this context) - but I've never done the type of photography where two bodies are necessary, I'm not a collector, and I've never had the sort of money or space that couldn't have been deployed better another way.