12-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Nice find, thanks for sharing!

12-17-2020, 07:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
That website uses an interesting presentation with the mouse-over to show different speeds.

At least 3 people have already said it depends on the scene. I'll add myself to that. Many waterfalls I've visited (mostly USA northeast) have trees and bushes near the falls, and overly long exposures give blurred leaves if there's any breeze. I usually prefer medium speeds, not freezing the water, and not blurring things so much that the water just looks like fog.

Here's an extreme case where 1/1000 still gave a good amount of blur at the base of a giant waterfall (Niagara American Falls).
That's a great shot John! High drama there. I live not far from the Falls (90 min. drive), and have always wanted to spend more time there scoping out some unique angles to capture.

You make a good point re. moving leaves in a breeze. It can be a neat effect if done well, giving it an ethereal mood, but mostly it just looks distracting and wrong.