Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2020, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Beater cameras

I'm going on a beach holiday tomorrow. I'm taking a K5 and a DA 18-135. I'm happy to have this combo in the bottom of a kayak (in a dry bag) or wade out into the surf to take photos of the kids. If something terrible happened to it, it would be sad but not a tragedy. Who else has a beater camera which you will take higher than usual risks with, but will still take great photos?

12-22-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
Forum Member

I tend to use a K70 as my landscape and bad weather camera along with my 16-85. It takes a lot of abuse! I use my KP with limiteds as a walk around, everyday setup, and it gets treated like a new born baby. Seems a bit back to front as the KP is theoretically the tougher camera (and it cost me less as a second hand purchase).
You have got me thinking now....I suppose the plastic body of the K70 is less easy to scratch. It also has bigger buttons that I can use with gloves, and the screen can flip fully around to protect it. It looks like rain today, perhaps the KP's turn to get soaked...
12-22-2020, 11:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a beater camera, but my beater lens is the A 400/5.6* It just feels so well put-together and durable, and I know its handling so well, so I'm not afraid to bring it out in bad weather or rough situations.

* Perhaps ironically, the A400 is my favorite lens to use, although not my "best" long tele. I would be very upset if I ruined it.
12-22-2020, 11:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-1 and 645Z can take a beating (and do), but if I expect things to get really wild I have a WG-6

12-22-2020, 11:18 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

...but if I want to *give* someone a beating, the 645Z with the FA*645 300/4.0 mounted would be a good option. Especially on a monopod
12-22-2020, 11:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I used to have a Samsung NX100 with 20-50mm kit lens that I took with me everywhere but it got stolen. I haven't replaced it yet. I could get another one but I really want something more modern that can do five figure ISO. A later Samsung such as the NX300 or NX500 would be great. Unfortunately they are thin on the ground in the local market. To complicate things, sellers tend to live in a parallel universe. So I am still looking. I like the rangefinder styling and a DSLR is just too bulky for going everywhere. A Fujifilm XE2 could work, but I am reluctant to get into yet another lens mount. The rabbit hole goes very deep.
12-23-2020, 12:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have a specific "suicide mission" camera but I'd take my K30 and 18 - 135 zoom if I needed one.

12-23-2020, 01:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

My K20D with the 18-55WR is my "Higher Risk" combo. So are the Fuji F600 compact and the old GoPro Hero2.

Thanks,
12-23-2020, 01:25 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
...but if I want to *give* someone a beating, the 645Z with the FA*645 300/4.0 mounted would be a good option. Especially on a monopod
Naaah, Zenit Photosniper is heavy, angular and all metal. They nearly used some of them in some of the Marvel films’ fight sequences ‘cos that shoulder stock gives an excellent grip for swinging the thing.

12-23-2020, 02:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

K5+DA 18-55. The DA 18-135 is a better lens than a lot of people give it credit for.
12-23-2020, 02:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My old workhorse was a LUMIX FZ30. Second hand, took a hell of a beating for some years. Great 8mp /Leica elmarit (IF) combo. I still have the dedicated wide angle converter. Then it passed....
now I am treating my cameras like babies. I don’t risk much either. Mostly hiking.
12-23-2020, 06:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Naaah, Zenit Photosniper is heavy, angular and all metal. They nearly used some of them in some of the Marvel films’ fight sequences ‘cos that shoulder stock gives an excellent grip for swinging the thing.
Cool setup.

---------- Post added 12-23-2020 at 07:00 AM ----------

cool setup.
12-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I'm going on a beach holiday tomorrow. I'm taking a K5 and a DA 18-135. I'm happy to have this combo in the bottom of a kayak (in a dry bag) or wade out into the surf to take photos of the kids. If something terrible happened to it, it would be sad but not a tragedy. Who else has a beater camera which you will take higher than usual risks with, but will still take great photos?
The exact same combo of lens took a dive with me in Lake Washington when, still outside the bag, I tried to stow it back into the kayak and recognized too late that there we two overpowered boats passing nearby at close to a 90 degree angle. Lens and camera worked fine after drying and are still in use today - the 18-135mm with a very tiny spot in the center behind the front element. At the time not exactly a beater. Nowadays I even have my KP with me in or on top of the kayak :-), but also have a nice yellow B&W Typ 2000 box, which is a perfect tight fit for KP+18-135, 55-200Ltd, DA15 + spare battery.
12-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #14

Whenever you stroll down a rocky beach to get that perfect shot you are just one slimey step away from creating your own beater camera.
My wife made hers two years ago near Saltburn-By-The-Sea.
12-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could be risky to bring a camera to a gunfight.