Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2020, 04:56 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
That does not make any sense.

ETTR is the best approach to exploit the full dynamic range of the sensor. Any lower exposure wastes some of the range.

This statement may (I haven't checked it) make sense for JPEGs. It certainly does not make sense for RAW data. The latter has a linear correspondence to the light levels in the scene and there are no "shoulders" as we know them from film, neither in the highlights, nor in the shadows.
Not sure what you mean by shoulder - the raws are clipped at whatever is the maximum value for the bit depth, e.g. a value of 16384 for each channel in 14 bits, or 4096 for 12 bits. It is my understanding based on observation that some raw converters recover more highlight detail than is actually in the recorded image, which is really trivially easy to do if you don't take it too far (i.e., it's wrong, but it "works").

12-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That does not make any sense.

ETTR is the best approach to exploit the full dynamic range of the sensor. Any lower exposure wastes some of the range.

Yeah, people in YouTube land aren't always right, which muddies the water somewhat
12-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

This statement may (I haven't checked it) make sense for JPEGs. It certainly does not make sense for RAW data. The latter has a linear correspondence to the light levels in the scene and there are no "shoulders" as we know them from film, neither in the highlights, nor in the shadows.
I can only speak from my field experience with 4 camera brands, Oly, Sony FF and APSC, Canon FF, and Pentax medium format and FF. I nearly always have to underexpose my Pentax shots versus my ones with other cameras (which is a PITA now at work, where I sometimes have to shoot Canon and my own Pentax cameras side by side, and I sometimes forget about not underexposing with the Canon's---in fact I can slightly overexpose with them. I can almost never do that with my Pentax cameras). With the exception of time-lapses and the very, very occasional grab shots, I shoot raw. I find that the 645Z is more prone to overexposure than my K1mkII, but that's maybe a bit more feeling then true difference---yet it's a somewhat strong feeling.

QuoteQuote:
It is true that the Sony sensors used in Pentax cameras have very little digital noise, so shadow recovery is well-supported but that is true for practically every modern digital camera nowadays.
I don't find that to be true of the Canon's I'm using, 5DmkIV's.

QuoteQuote:
The JPEG engine within the camera may or may not have a harsher transition to clipping than other cameras, I really don't know, but I'd say anyone wondering about the level of improvement that ETTR provides over regular exposure, should definitely shoot RAW, instead of JPEG, and then forget about what the in-camera tone curves for JPEG development look like.
I don't think one should forget about them entirely, because they are all we have, but it continues to be aggravating that we can't have a raw histo readout in 2020. Should be a standard feature---if shooting in raw the readout is for the raw, and if in jpg for the jpg. Maybe this is a stupid statement for a technical reason I don't yet know about.
12-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #19
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Pentax raw ETTR is the way to go to get max dynamic range with minimum Noise.
But if you are utilising iso to achieve this ETTR then you are kidding yourself. The result will be no different in post to the mid range histo of the same shutter and aperture at base iso.
Better to think of ETTR at base iso.

12-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
In Pentax raw ETTR is the way to go to get max dynamic range with minimum Noise.
But if you are utilising iso to achieve this ETTR then you are kidding yourself. The result will be no different in post to the mid range histo of the same shutter and aperture at base iso.
Better to think of ETTR at base iso.
Do you mean high iso or iso in general? I am currently staying below iso640
12-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #21
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Do you mean high iso or iso in general? I am currently staying below iso640
Iso in general.
Once you take the iso out of the equation then it becomes obvious - the more light you can put on the sensor via your aperture and shutter the better signal to noise ratio you have. But increasing your iso to achieve this won't improve your signal / noise ratio.

In case it is not understood, our modern sensors are iso invariant which means there is no difference in quality between increasing iso when taking the shot and increasing exposure in post processing.
12-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Not sure what you mean by shoulder...
I mentioned that term when talking about JPEG processing (not RAW data).

The term refers to the roll-off at the highlights (the corresponding roll-off at the shadows is sometimes referred to as "toe"). The presence of "toe" and "shoulder" results in an "S-curve", i.e., a non-linear translation of scene values into image data.

12-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reminds me of the time I changed my drive mode to Bracketed Exposures thinking I would maximise the dynamic range captured - it took a few minutes for me to recognise that I had been shooting in TAv mode prior to that
12-29-2020, 01:01 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, I am seeing a definite improvement in the final image. It is much closer to what I saw on the day. Everything seems to really pop. This isn't a fascinating image but it was a good test. For once I had decent light. When I was underexposing, the colours weren't as rich. I have done very little to this image.

There's also quite a difference between the jpeg histogram on the camera and the raw histogram in lightroom. I am going to keep comparing so that I get it fixed in my mind where the raw exposure is in relation to the on camera histo. I feel like I am moving forward again. Thanks guys for all the input
12-29-2020, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #25
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, I am seeing a definite improvement in the final image. It is much closer to what I saw on the day. Everything seems to really pop. This isn't a fascinating image but it was a good test. For once I had decent light. When I was underexposing, the colours weren't as rich. I have done very little to this image.

There's also quite a difference between the jpeg histogram on the camera and the raw histogram in lightroom. I am going to keep comparing so that I get it fixed in my mind where the raw exposure is in relation to the on camera histo. I feel like I am moving forward again. Thanks guys for all the input
My rather basic understanding of the camera histogram is it reflects the current settings of the jpeg even though you are in raw and not concerned with those settings. So if you you want a consistent relationship between the in camera histo and LR it probably is a good idea tohave things like highlight correction off "auto" and probably off all together. Any "auto" setting could cause variation.
I find the opening Darktable histogram has a small margin of error (less than a stop) of spare highlight compared to on camera.
12-29-2020, 01:45 AM   #26
Pentaxian

My rather basic understanding of the camera histogram is it reflects the current settings of the jpeg even though you are in raw and not concerned with those settings.
That's correct.

It is worth playing with JPEG settings, like contrast, fir instance, to achieve better predictability regarding the highlights headroom.

However, most will strive to maintain a balance between predictability and the playback image still being useful for visual feedback.
12-29-2020, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There's also quite a difference between the jpeg histogram on the camera and the raw histogram in lightroom.
Neither of those is the same as the RAW histogram from a tool such as RawDigger. The lack of a graph of the actual response data makes it difficult to guide exposure from the histogram.

Steve
12-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #28
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The lack of a graph of the actual response data makes it difficult to guide exposure from the histogram.
It would have to be a very precise exposure requirement for this to hold true.
As discussed above there is a need for personal calibration and consistency of jpg settings to work the histogram but that is not difficult.
For me the main requirement is no clipping so I am happy to live with that margin of error built in. In the unlikely event of being a complete stop unintentionally underexposed it is not a biggy in post processing. Iso invariance means you have just taken the shot at one stop more Iso.
12-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It would have to be a very precise exposure requirement for this to hold true.
I guess it would be more helpful if I were to provide actual comparison histograms. The difference is pretty striking for RawDigger vs. Lightroom.

I agree that conservative in-camera JPEG settings help provide a more dependable histogram and that using that as a guide to avoid clipping should be quite adequate. At least, that is what I do.

Steve
12-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #30
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The difference is pretty striking for RawDigger vs. Lightroom.

I ended up with an argument elsewhere about raw digger. At the time I was convinced that it had highlight reconstruction on by default. Turning it on in DT had an identical response. Highlight reconstruction messes with the highlight end of the histo so if you are trying to expose via the histo it complicates things.