Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2020, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #31
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Resolutions
I don't think i've ever really kept to one.
Get off the computer and go outside with camera in tow .... thats a start.

12-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
learn to process " RAW " instead of Jpeg
You'll notice the difference, and you'll appreciate the extra time you take to take the photo in the first place, if not the time you take to process it and make the difference!

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Trying to catch a photo with nobody wearing a mask ...
I'm sitting in a cafe with 16 other people, appropriately distanced, but with no masks. Travel here! No. Wait. You're from the UK.

Only kidding. I hope you'll have things under control, in time for my planned/deferred autumn walks in the UK, later in the year, which is my only photo resolution for 2021, at this stage. If not, then roll on 2022.

An (almost) 2021 resolution is to buy the K-3iii before the planned walks, but I'll put that one on hold until I read the first (non-DPR) reviews.
12-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
An (almost) 2021 resolution is to buy the K-3iii before the planned walks, but I'll put that one on hold until I read the first (non-DPR) reviews.
Agreed. But I need to see the reviews and price first. And I may wait a few months till the first sales. But more generally, I resolve to shoot more APS-C this year. My excellent crop lenses haven't been getting the attention they deserve for some time.
12-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try to continue to learn and grow in all endeavors. That's not really a NY resolution so much as just a way to live.

12-31-2020, 12:21 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to try and not buy any more gear this year (I failed miserably this year even though I made the same resolution a year ago) and I'm going to try and thoroughly learn how to use my KP and K1 (the K3 is going to be going to a new home).

There are some great ideas in this thread.....bravo.
12-31-2020, 12:27 AM   #36
Veteran Member

If we can travel freely in 2021, there is an island getaway just out of Melbourne called French Island I will visit frequently. It isn't spectacular and you often have to work hard for a photo in some parts but that's kinda the point of going there and shooting.
12-31-2020, 06:41 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Er, frankly I'm generally not a great believer in New Year's resolutions, and therefore I seldom set any, apart from pretty modest and sustainable ones, and my photographic efforts are no exception. For me, photography remains a hobby, a passion, a means of creative expression, of preserving memories, of exploration, and an escape to some extent too. Which doesn't mean that I'm resistant to learning new stuff, improving and broadening my skill, or the like - quite the contrary. It's just that I try to protect it as something I strictly do for the love and fun of it, and so far I've been able to do just that. Probably not the worst thing to note, 37 years into the journey.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-31-2020 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Nuance.
12-31-2020, 09:55 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I make the same resolution every year—not to make any resolutions because I most likely won't keep them.
12-31-2020, 09:41 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

My 2021 New Years Photography Resolution is to shoot at least 50% of my 2021 images using flash.

I also am fairly clueless when it comes to flash photography. That's a good one. Good luck.

I have a laundry list of things, and realistically none of them will be year long goals but rather things I'll focus on for a month or so at a time. That works out better for me. One year-long thing though will be the switch back to B&W film. This year I did all color, but I'm itching to get back to B&W Another overall goal will be to take more photos. I don't have my total from this year on hand right now, but I think I could top it. Sometimes I went a week without taking a single photo. Seems like a shame.

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
I have found that New Year Resolution example very tempting. So far I follow it:

New Year Resolution on Strange Planet
I love these comics. Nice one
01-01-2021, 01:06 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flash and filters for me. I am very lazy and tend to grab a camera and a single lens. I have been exposing incorrectly and recently fixed that. Maybe, if I start taking gear out with me, I gan get something epic rather than wishing I hadn't left my gear at home

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Easy to do here! Example (removed political content)...

Steve
Here too. Its peoples choice i suppose but only 20-30% wear masks all the time

---------- Post added 01-01-21 at 01:06 AM ----------

01-01-2021, 11:09 AM   #41
Veteran Member

My new years resolution is to stop buying classic cameras but also to try and acquire a Pentax MX...damn broken the resolution already as part of the resolution. The duality of man eh...a straight up tragedy
01-01-2021, 03:38 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Not a resolution, really, but do more macro and focus stacking.
01-01-2021, 07:00 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More snapping, less yapping. This year I will not log onto PF without starting a timer, and when it sounds, I will log off and spend time taking pix or post processing, etc. It's really more than that though, processing and posting are the final steps of a photography plan designed to allow me good use of my limited time for photography this year.
1. Always have my camera at hand, when possible, but pay more attention to my surroundings.
2. "pre-visualize" a scene, then go out and capture it, or create it in an improvised studio now that I have spare rooms in the house.
3. Learn artificial lighting techniques, since I own an on-camera flash as well as two Lume Cubes
4. Learn one built in mode or feature of the K-1 each week.
5. Take fewer, but better pictures, like when I had too little money and shot film.
6. Learn to use the PP software I own, develop an efficient workflow.
7. Have fun while doing everything mentioned above.
EDIT:
8. Pack my "Go Bag" of most used accessories, specifically filters, Lume Cubes and other lights, and mini-tripods. Though 90% of my photo needs are met by my camera and lens in a holster, there are times I want to do something more adventurous/creative, but I don't want to take the time to sort the storage drawer and pack a bag.

Last edited by robgski; 01-03-2021 at 08:01 AM.
01-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #44

Not investing in gear until I can actually leave my neighbourhood to shoot more interesting things. Maybe I'll work on some photography themes that can be done during quarantine. Was collecting my food shots today on Flickr so maybe I'll do some more photographing of new recipes.
01-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Perhaps I should try doing video with my Samsung NX1. It is apparently quite good for that and will even do something called 4K.