Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2020, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's Your 2021 New Years "Photography Resolution" ?

Until now, I've been exclusively a natural light photographer, only rarely shooting flash. I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm a rank novice when it comes to flash photography.

My 2021 New Years Photography Resolution is to shoot at least 50% of my 2021 images using flash.

What's your 2021 New Years' Photography Resolution? Is it - gear related, technique related, post processing, or maybe subject/location related?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-30-2020 at 11:25 AM.
12-30-2020, 09:39 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I plan to acquire the K-3 MkIII soon after its released to give my aging K-3 some companionship, then possibly look at buying a new lens. Definitely going to try to get out more to shoot, not that I didn't get out a good bit in 2020. As far as new techniques, I'd love to learn as much as possible but at 74 my main goal is more shots.
12-30-2020, 09:45 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

learn to process " RAW " instead of Jpeg
12-30-2020, 09:49 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Until now, I've been exclusively a natural light photographer, only rarely shooting flash. I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm a rank novice when it comes to flash photography.
That sounds like you're talking about me. I recently bought a used Pentax AF360fgz. My goal is to learn how to use it so I will know what I'm doing when I need it. To me at this point, it is very confusing even after reading the manual and the very excellent guide here several times.

Comprehensive Pentax Flash Guide - PentaxForums.com

My "New Years Photography Resolution" is no different than any other day. To become a better photographer today than I was yesterday.

12-30-2020, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks to Covid, 2021 Photography Resolutions are exactly the same as last year because I could not do it:
-Shoot more medium format film (1 roll in the last 2 years is not enough)
-Shoot more 35mm film both BW and color
-Self-learn camera repair basics

Thanks,
12-30-2020, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trying to catch a photo with nobody wearing a mask ...
12-30-2020, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

To learn how to better apply supplemental and studio lighting.

To revive my film photography.

To avoid including emergency room photos in the mix.

Steve

12-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Trying to catch a photo with nobody wearing a mask ...
Easy to do here! Example (removed political content)...

Steve
12-30-2020, 10:24 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I am also on the path to improve my flash photography. For years I have been pushing my cameras to high iso and shooting wide open to try and get nice indoor shots and I am too often frustrated by the noise, motion blur, white balance/colour cast issues. So I finally give up and I am learning flash. I now put a couple bounce flashes on stands in opposite corners of the room for family events so I can get decent light from anywhere. The quality of my casual shots went from just ok at small sizes to beautiful crisp pixel peep to your hearts content quality. I also have a couple umbrellas and soft boxes for more serious subjects and am moving from my old Yongnuo 460II flashes with dumb triggers to Godox with programmable groups so I can adjust everything from on top of the camera. I also started this fall taking a flash with me for outdoor shots too and even there it makes a big difference to have nice fill light or something directional to liven up a subject.

So that's my new years photography resolution, master off camera flash.
12-30-2020, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Keep on keeping on.....
12-30-2020, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I would like to own and use a reasonably modern Pentax such a K-3 or K3 II, or perhaps a KP. A K1 or K1 II remains the dream but they are out of my reach.
12-30-2020, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Multiple ones, in no order

• Focus stack more (pro work, probably late spring and later)
  • Finally do camera profiles for the different situations I shoot in (not important at all for my personal shooting, so pro work, and because I need multiple ones is the reason I haven't done it yet---but now I'm not on the building access list because of the Covid surge, grrrrr....) and for both cameras. ASAP
  • Check all my lenses' AF more closely (have been seeing maybe some small needed adjustments). Soon
  • Learn several new software/apps for the pro side of my work. Soon
  • Work on turn-around times(pro work). Course of the year
  • Work on my company website, which will include the photo aspect. Summer?
  • Maybe drum up a new client or two. Covid inhibited at least until summer....
  • Get better at video and video editing (pro work). Soon
  • Get better at time-lapse(pro work). Soon
  • Work on photogrammetry. Spring
Big list this year, but do-able.
12-30-2020, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Still the same as in 2020 I guess. I'll keep trying to learn how to take photographs.
12-30-2020, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm a rank novice when it comes to flash photography.
And I figured that I was the only one on PF who knows very little about flash photography! I have not even bought a new flash yet, so I will make that my goal for the first half of 2021, and to reach some level of proficiency by the end of the year.
12-30-2020, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found that New Year Resolution example very tempting. So far I follow it:

New Year Resolution on Strange Planet