Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2021, 07:46 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back to Pentax

Hi Friends,

I always loved this forum and for some reason I feel I have to share my journey. I bought my first DSLR (K30) in 2012. I bought and tried several lenses but when I found the Sigma 18-35 f1.8, it quickly became my workhorse. When the focus was accurate it took amazing shots, but yeah... as you know the Sigma 18-35 sometimes can be very inaccurate. I didn't plan to switch from Pentax, I lived together with the slow/inaccurate focus and I loved photography.

In 2018 I saw a Fuji XT2 body on sale (~$800). Quickly did some research and I felt, hey, this guy can fill the hole what I miss from Pentax. I bought the body with a 23mm prime for start and I sold my most beloved Pentax 15mm, 77mm and my Tamron 70-200 F2.8. And then I was shocked: Fuji was not a true extension to me. I bought more lenses: 35mm, 18-55mm, 16-50mm, 16mm, but even if I got the superfast focus and supersharp lenses my pictures were very different. I didn't enjoy the results and I was getting to use my gear less and less. I cannot really explain, Fuji is very good, I cannot tell anything wrong about it, but hey, after postprocessing I didn't feel the satisfaction, my pictures had "no soul".

This week I saw BH has some discount, so I ordered a Pentax K1-II with the Pentax 24-70 f/2.8 from BH (and probably I will buy the 77mm again ). I will receive it on the next week and cannot wait to see whether we will be good friends or not.

Any of you have a similar story? Switch to something and then back to Pentax? Share it!

01-02-2021, 09:12 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back. I never did quit Pentax but I did add a Sony a6000 for a couple of years, not a bad camera. When I got good results they were similar to my Pentax K-30 or K-50, but it seemed harder to use probably because of ergonomics. It did not have a separate wheel for shutter speed and aperture, and of course the electronic viewfinder just isn't the same as an optical viewfinder. If I could have afforded a long telephoto I may have kept it, but Sony is very expensive in that range even for consumer grade, there were no third party (there may be now). When I would go somewhere with the Sony I always found myself carrying one the of the Pentax cameras just in case. I had the Sony for about a year before I bought a KP, then it became very obvious that it wasn't going to get much use, but I kept it for another year before selling it off. I fell for the mirrorless lure, the grass was not greener, not for me anyway. But maybe I'll get another if a great deal comes along, probably not, but you never say never. But I'm pretty happy with my Pentax gear.
01-02-2021, 10:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a co-worker who was into Fuji. We talked camera's quite a bit. Just before having his first child he told me a similar story, that he really liked his Fuji gear and the images were nice and clean but lacked soul and he wanted to have great pictures of his soon to be born child. So we talked about me shooting pentax and why, and then he talked about his photography education and how he used to shoot medium format film. A few weeks before the new baby came he went and got a Mamiya and a couple lenses like he used to have and he shot his new born baby pics on medium format B&W film and he was ecstatic with the results. He kept his Fuji gear for the snapshots and easy stuff but has fully embraced film and developing his own at home again.

We all have such diverse preferences for every aspect of photography. I own Pentax mainly due to inheriting Pentax film gear 15 years ago, but also because after handling other brands from friends/family and in stores I found I really prefer what I have. I do own a second hand Fuji X-T1 that I picked up to satisfy curiosity. I only use it with my adapted Pentax glass. It works well and focus peaking in the viewfinder is nice, but nothing about it, including the jpg film profiles, is enough to make me want to switch. Actually the opposite. I find I dislike the small body with no grip and the cool looking dials on top just aren't as useful as thumb and finger dials. The EVF is better than I expected but I don't actually find any of the overlays other than focus peaking to be that useful. Overall, I am happy with my Pentax gear and need to improve my own skills before any gear advances would make anything better for me. Most of my Pentax lenses have aperture rings which lets me shoot my excellent glass on digital and film which I think is fantastic.
01-03-2021, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. I really donít have a similar story to share, but I can say I love my DSLR. Having shot friendsí CanoNikon I appreciate the ergonomics and handling of Pentax even more. And the image quality is amazing.
Best wishes for the new year. Enjoy your photography.

01-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well....if film days count, then yes. Had a K1000 and an MX, the latter my 35mm workhorse for slides through the '80's and into the early '90's until it got stolen out of my studio----but most of my serious shooting had already transitioned to 4x5 or medium format.

So I had no 35mm camera for a few years after the theft, and then in digital daze went through Oly then Sony before landing back with Pentax.

A big welcome back! And with such a great camera, too!
01-03-2021, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think your story shows how important it is to have gear that you can connect to. Something a little off in the ergonomics can make a shooting experience not quite right in my opinion.
01-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #7

Between my film era Pentax MX with winder and a lot of lenses en my K100D, i used a Fuji Finepix 602z. A good camera in it's time, but well, no SLR.
When the K100 entered the market, i bought it. But after getting spoiled with shooting for some 10 years with the MX and its extremely good viewfinder, i didn't really felt home with the K100D, it was absolutely impossible for me to use manual focus. Later i bought the K200D and after that the K7 but with the same problem with there viewfinders (what i thought was because of my eye glasses and my eyes not getting better with the years, even with an extra ocular placed at the viewfinder).

In the autumn of 2019 I bought myself the K1-II. And WOW WOW WOW, what a camera. Finally Pentax did for me what i expected of Pentax, a viewfinder that is up to the viewfinder of the the MX. I really felt home again and finally even could use manual focus without any problem (so my eyes weren't the problem, but the size of the viewfinder).

I love photographing again and can use the camera as i like, like the time i used the MX.

I already owned the DA* 60-250 and modified it to full frame (what is much easier than i thought), en what a combination. It performs even better then with the K7.

And recently i bought the D-FA 150-450. A beast of a lens with it's 3 kg, but extremely sharp, fast end quiet.

Long story short, you really gonna love you're new camera.
01-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm glad you've seen the error of your ways! Just kidding. My guess is that if you don't end up loving your Pentax K1-II, there's something wrong with you.

My first SLR in my film days was a Vivitar 250/SL. It was a solidly built workhorse that never gave me any problems over many years. Eventually in the early 80s I bought a Pentax ME Super. It was a 'super', gorgeous camera and came with the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 lens. This was a great rig that I really liked. But I found myself gravitating back to the Vivitar because it was so reliable and familiar. It was my go-to camera when I shot friend's weddings. I still have the ME Super and M50mm. I probably didn't run more than 6 rolls of film through the ME.

Many years ago I used a 6MP Canon at work that my company had bought. I was always very impressed with the images it took. I don't recall the model of camera or lens.

My other main hobby is guitar playing. I have owned many brands and types of guitars over the years. The creative process benefits from tools that seem to be an extension of our personality and that inspire us. I've gotten rid of some of the guitars I've had, but still have three six-string guitars, one 12-string, and two basses. One six-string and one bass is Fender. All the others are different brands, and I'd hate to part with any of them.

The 'right' brand and model is the one you feel most comfortable with and gives you the results you want. I happen to be a loyal Pentaxian now, but would never criticize others for their choices.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 01-04-2021 at 01:52 PM.