Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I like the idea of "Canon's Brutally Honest Pro Session," where the ambassador simply yells at people the whole time and tells them they need to work harder because their pictures aren't that good.

It feels like the pros are going to be recommending gear and lenses to people that will help them achieve their photographic dreams. Hopefully it is more than that.
Even if I don't shoot weddings, I got the chance to participate at a 2-3 hours workshop with a former Canon ambassador, Jeff Ascough, from which I learned much more than I learned from some "pro" 1 or 2 days workshops for which I paid premium prices. It was incredible how he explained:
- the use of ambient light and composition in challenging situations
- how to look for reflections (mirrors) and use them to catch uniques images
- how to deal with heights difference between groom and bride for formal portraits
- etc.

Before the workshop he had a 4 hours seminar in a big cinema with around 500 people and even if the seminar was sponsored by Canon, he mentioned his gear only once and then he talked about photography.

30 minutes may be not that great, but if you know what you want to ask, it may worth the price...

01-07-2021, 06:35 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
In re-reading my post, I'm thinking that it would be interesting to hear people's impressions of the value proposition. Without doubt, I think that these Ambassadors are well-qualified photographers, and their skills and qualifications are worth something -- just like plumbers, car mechanics, physio-therapists, and a host of other professionals.

Would people be willing to pay for the consulting services of an Ambassador, and, if so, how much?

- Craig
I mistook this as a contest. Like the award was the time. I never thought the time was worthless but Iím in no hurry to sign up. The time they offer is very small compared to classes and as someone else said the skill to take good photos doesnít mean that you are good at teaching that skill.
01-07-2021, 06:36 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Even if I don't shoot weddings, I got the chance to participate at a 2-3 hours workshop with a former Canon ambassador, Jeff Ascough, from which I learned much more than I learned from some "pro" 1 or 2 days workshops for which I paid premium prices. It was incredible how he explained:
- the use of ambient light and composition in challenging situations
- how to look for reflections (mirrors) and use them to catch uniques images
- how to deal with heights difference between groom and bride for formal portraits
- etc.

Before the workshop he had a 4 hours seminar in a big cinema with around 500 people and even if the seminar was sponsored by Canon, he mentioned his gear only once and then he talked about photography.

30 minutes may be not that great, but if you know what you want to ask, it may worth the price...
Interesting. This runs counter to my expectations. Good to know.
01-08-2021, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Interesting. This runs counter to my expectations. Good to know.
It may not apply to all brand ambassadors, but they have a reputation, they are truly amazing photographers and they know how hard it is to make money from photography. They also know that people make efforts to pay for a short seminar with them and therefore they will try their best to give valuable information for the ones who know what they want to learn from them. Unfortunately, lots of people are wasting their time and money asking them about gear, about lenses and other useless stuff.

Later edit (as a side note). I also had the pleasure to watch a 45 minutes webinar (it was free and Adobe organized it) with one of the most known stock photographer, Jacob Lund. It was a great discussion between the moderator, Jacob Lund and the attenders who asked questions via the chat window. The host chose only the most interesting questions and Jacob Lund gave details and showed pictures with behind the scenes to make things easier to understand and implement... I immediately put into practice what I learned in those 30 minutes and 3 weeks later I saw improvements. Again, it all depends on what you want to learn from an ambassador in those 30 minutes. My advice will be to focus on 1 or 2 subjects in order to have time to get a little more into details.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 01-08-2021 at 03:10 AM.