Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2021, 04:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Canon Sessions-have Canon ambassadors discuss your work with you....

I received this Canon Sessions opportunity in the mail from Canon camera. Interesting approach . Canon may experience more demand then they expected. What's your take on this opportunity ?

Looks like a very good program .

ADVICE TO HELP YOU GROW
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?
We’re here to help you grow as a creator, whether it’s for business or pleasure. Wherever you are in your creative journey, we want to help you get to the next level.

CHOOSE YOUR AMBASSADOR.
Take a look at our roster of ambassadors to see who would be the best fit for your style and goals. During your 30-minute virtual meeting, you’ll have the chance to discuss your work and gather valuable feedback.

TAKE THE NEXT STEP TO STRONGER CONTENT.
Join your 30-minute session to chat with our ambassadors about whatever you want- business advice, how to maximize your social media game, or to review your portfolio and see where you can improve.

01-06-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a great marketing ploy for increasing sale of Canon gear, but probably not that great for people who are not planning on heading that direction due to lack of inclination or funds.

Steve
01-06-2021, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The ambassadors are probably cringing in a corner somewhere clutching a favorite adult beverage and chanting "Please don't call on me, please don't call on me..."
01-06-2021, 05:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The ambassadors are probably cringing in a corner somewhere
Maybe not, many of those ambassadors have photo training businesses. So this would just be an add on to that and a way for them to "advertise" their more in depth services. Without face to face meetings a lot of people who make their living as presenters at seminars or do photo education safaris are hurting for work. I would assume the ambassadors would also be compensated for the time they spend in these 'chats'.

01-06-2021, 08:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’d do it. The opportunity to pick the pro brain of your choice is a great one.
01-07-2021, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the idea of "Canon's Brutally Honest Pro Session," where the ambassador simply yells at people the whole time and tells them they need to work harder because their pictures aren't that good.

It feels like the pros are going to be recommending gear and lenses to people that will help them achieve their photographic dreams. Hopefully it is more than that.
01-07-2021, 07:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I like the idea of "Canon's Brutally Honest Pro Session," where the ambassador simply yells at people the whole time and tells them they need to work harder because their pictures aren't that good.

It feels like the pros are going to be recommending gear and lenses to people that will help them achieve their photographic dreams. Hopefully it is more than that.
Good point. If it turns into bully marketing that’s sad. If the pros spend time discussing and encouraging development of skills that’s better.

01-07-2021, 08:43 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Good point. If it turns into bully marketing that’s sad. If the pros spend time discussing and encouraging development of skills that’s better.
I am of the impression that you typically get what you pay for. That said, there is a ton of useful stuff on this Forum, much less on the internet that would allow anyone to maximize their skill if they are willing to make the effort. I think the hard part is getting real critique of your images to help you see what works and what doesn't with them. Social media is certainly not a place where you get that sort of gritty input and I am guessing this program won't be either.
01-07-2021, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You’ve all got this wrong: any ambassador session majors on the Rule of Thirds, ie spend a third of your money on essentials like food, home, clothing, a third on your family if you have one and the remaining third on camera gear. Bonus points if you manage to spend more than that on camera gear.

There: now you don’t have to talk to the ambassadors and I can forget that was all made up. What a bunch of cynics we all are...
01-07-2021, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What's your take on this opportunity ?
After reading your post, I looked into this program at the Canon Canada website. The lineup comprises five Canon Canada Ambassadors, having various backgrounds, styles, and business focus. Looking at a couple of their websites and YouTube channels, I see amazing, impressive work (well, impressive to me, anyways).

The sessions seem to run CAD $125-250 for 30 minutes, depending on the Ambassador. To me, that seems like a steep price for a relatively short interaction. I'd be surprised if an Ambassador would be able to fully assess one's work or area of concern and provide meaningful feedback or guidance in real time. I'd also wonder if any of them have experience in providing such personalized mentorship -- it's a different skill set than pure photography per se.

Perhaps it might work fine if a mentee had a specific topic related to a business issue and connected with a qualified Ambassador. I don't mean to be totally negative here, but I don't see the value for money, especially for hobbyists.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-07-2021 at 12:29 PM.
01-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
After reading your post, I looked into this program at the Canon Canada website. The lineup comprises five Canon Canada Ambassadors, having various backgrounds, styles, and business focus. Looking at a couple of their websites and YouTube channels, I see impressive work (well, impressive to me, anyways).

The sessions seem to run CAD $125-250 for 30 minutes, depending on the Ambassador. To me, that seems like a steep price for a relatively short interaction. I'd be surprised if an Ambassador would be able to fully assess one's work or area of concern and provide meaningful feedback or guidance in such a short time. I'd also wonder if any of them have experience in providing such personalized mentorship -- it's a different skill set than pure photography per se.

Perhaps it might work fine if a mentee had a very specific topic to explore and connected with a qualified Ambassador. I don't mean to be totally negative here, but I don't see the value for money.

- Craig
The way the initial post was framed I thought it was a free program. Now it makes more sense, but I agree upwards of $250 for just 30 minutes seems hardly enough time to get acquainted with a particular persons' shooting style and captured images, much less offer insightful and specific advice. The introductions alone might cost you $20.
01-07-2021, 12:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
After reading your post, I looked into this program at the Canon Canada website. The lineup comprises five Canon Canada Ambassadors, having various backgrounds, styles, and business focus. Looking at a couple of their websites and YouTube channels, I see amazing, impressive work (well, impressive to me, anyways).

The sessions seem to run CAD $125-250 for 30 minutes, depending on the Ambassador. To me, that seems like a steep price for a relatively short interaction. I'd be surprised if an Ambassador would be able to fully assess one's work or area of concern and provide meaningful feedback or guidance in such a short time. I'd also wonder if any of them have experience in providing such personalized mentorship -- it's a different skill set than pure photography per se.

Perhaps it might work fine if a mentee had a specific topic related to a business issue and connected with a qualified Ambassador. I don't mean to be totally negative here, but I don't see the value for money, especially for hobbyists.

- Craig
I didn't read the whole thing, but as gatorguy indicated, I too thought it was a free program.

I don't disagree with you in regards to...as you say and I quote , " Perhaps it might work fine if a mentee had a specific topic related to a business issue and connected with a qualified Ambassador. I don't mean to be totally negative here, but I don't see the value for money, especially for hobbyists. "
01-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for “I thought this was free...”
01-07-2021, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Another vote for “I thought this was free...”
In re-reading my post, I'm thinking that it would be interesting to hear people's impressions of the value proposition. Without doubt, I think that these Ambassadors are well-qualified photographers, and their skills and qualifications are worth something -- just like plumbers, car mechanics, physio-therapists, and a host of other professionals.

Would people be willing to pay for the consulting services of an Ambassador, and, if so, how much?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-07-2021 at 01:20 PM.
01-07-2021, 02:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In re-reading my post, I'm thinking that it would be interesting to hear people's impressions of the value proposition. Without doubt, I think that these Ambassadors are well-qualified photographers, and their skills and qualifications are worth something -- just like plumbers, car mechanics, physio-therapists, and a host of other professionals.

Would people be willing to pay for the consulting services of an Ambassador, and, if so, how much?

- Craig
Good question . I'm been photographing for over 50 years.

At first , for a few years, I earned part of my living with photography for a publishing company's magazines. That was a long time ago.

Mostly , I've been an amateur or enthusiast . I mention this, as over the years, I would fall into both camps...earning a living at one time, and then just as an ardent hobbyist. So my experience , both as an amateur. and a working pro....probably reflects the demographics of many, of those who will be interested in this Canon program.

I could afford $ 250 for 30 minutes, but whether I would choose to so, is something I'm not sure about.

I do think up to $ 250 bucks is pricey. I know that the price ranges, so if it does why ? Maybe some ambassadors are charging more, some less.

They are working in their area, after all, doing this programming. So the cost is like everything else in the supply/demand economy. You do have to pay for someone's time and expertise. Only the person receiving the 'supply' can determine if it was worth the dollars.

As others have said, I think it would be a smart approach to ensure that I'm very organized before my session began, as I would want to get maximum bang for my dollar. Thirty minutes goes by pretty quickly.

So think about what it is, you want advice on, structure it carefully as far as questions, direction you are looking for, monitor time...have a clock in front of you during the session.....and lave time for brief but a conclusion and future directions for you, from the presenter, before your session comes to an end,