Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
135mm full time

I am not sure if this is a question or a story. Once upon a time I had a Konica rangefinder and wow at the time it was a great camera and good quality photos. Then I bought a Nikkormat with a 135mm ff 1.4. The only lens I had on, or for that camera, ever, was the 135mm. I shot everything with it and loved it. It never really entered my mind to ge a different lens as I just plain got used to that focl length. I also had a canon ae-1 with a 28mm-85mm. That camera was only so-so and could not touch my Nikkormat. I then bought my first digital which was a fuji s5200 and had fun with it but it was not what I really was in need of. I then bought a Pentax ist dl and fell in love. I had friends years prior who had Asahi Pentax 35's and noticed how good their photo quality was. At the time I bought my Ist I bought a Nikon d40x. I took both the Ist and d40x out shooting the same subjects and did not like the color rendition of the Nikon so sold it and kept my Ist. Hang on I am getting there, oh by the way to this day I feel Pentax has the best and most accurate color rendition. Particularly with the 35's it was said, and I think I noticed it as well, that the FF lenses were superior to the zoom lenses in quality of the photograph. I have noticed on most all dslr's that they are always offering zoom lenses standard with whatever model camera. Old slr 35's only offered a fixed 50mm. We are now approaching my question. Is ther A. Anyone out there who shoots exclusively with a 135mm with a Dslr? And B. In DSLR camera and lenses is there a great deal of difference in quality between an FF lens and a quality zoom. Does anybody do like I did and shoot almost exclusively with a 135mm? I hope you can all see where I am going with this. Thank you, to whoever responds, in advance...................Douglas

01-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

A Nikkormat with a 135mm f1.4 lens? Surely some mistake? There is now a Mitakon 135mm f1.4 but I don't recall ever hearing of such a beast when Nikkormat was current.
01-25-2021, 07:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
A Nikkormat with a 135mm f1.4 lens? Surely some mistake? There is now a Mitakon 135mm f1.4 but I don't recall ever hearing of such a beast when Nikkormat was current.
It's reasonably safe to assume it's f1:4 (i.e. f/4).
To answer the OP, I do not, though I've had fun whenever I've cracked out a 135mm. There's a YouTuber/Instagrammer called 'IggyTheWiggy' (fun name) who typically uses a Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, but that's the closest I've heard of. FWIW, I don't much enjoy his YouTube videos but his Instagram can be quite useful for Lightroom presets, if that's anyone's "thing".
01-25-2021, 08:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
135mm sounds like a tough focal length to have as your only lens! You always have to back way off. Good for sneaky candid portraits. I've heard of people sticking to one FL but then it's always been a normal or wide angle lens.

They say zooms are now as good or better than older primes.

01-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back when the 35mm film cameras were current, a 35mm prime was generally less compromised than a zoom. Today many zooms rival some primes, but there are also many statement level primes that are the rage now. So my point is there are fantastic zones that compete with ordinary primes and fantastic primes and zooms that make it hard to limit a DSLR to one lens.

As to your other question. Full frame and crop quality questions open a huge can of worms. If I can just slightly answer, ff generally has the ability to go to higher iso with less noise, and when using the same focal length lenses gives a wider angle of view on a scene. Practically, what this means is that if you Mount a 135 on a crop sensor it will feel more telephoto, giving you an angle of view that is tighter, more like a 200mm in terms of the angle covered. So in actual use on crop the closest equivalent is a 90mm.

My advice is to get something between 77-100mm and try it on crop. Or a 135 on full frame if you prefer full frame. The selection in Pentax at 135mm focal length is greater on older lenses mostly without autofocus.
01-25-2021, 08:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

As to question B: There is a lot of debate between fixed-length (prime) lenses and zooms. Certainly modern zooms are much better than the old zooms, but prime lenses are, too. I think it depends more on the specific lenses in question now. The very best primes are better than the very best zooms, but the best zooms are better than the mediocre primes. If you are stopped down to f8, the differences are smaller. Wide open, the primes show more difference.

Then there is the fact that prime lenses are usually available with much larger apertures than zooms.

In the end, just pick a lens, and go shooting. I have both zooms and primes, and choose based on mood more than anything. For travel, a good zoom with a wide zoom range is what I like. Closer to home, I shoot primes a lot.

Last edited by Kozlok; 01-25-2021 at 08:51 AM.
01-25-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On crop the fantastic DA* 50-135 f2.8 is another option. Sure the sdm is slow and sometimes fails but you can cover to screwdrive it but already converted. It’s a bargain and excellent through the entire range.

01-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #8
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Doug

Get a K1 to go with your 135 you used on the Ist di.
Good old times for you.
The other parts, there are more qualified than me to answer those.
The F 135 is a beaut too

Dave
01-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dougieazar Quote
Then I bought a Nikkormat with a 135mm ff 1.4
See this site:
Nikkor 135mm lenses - Index Page

Based on their info it appears there were three manual focus 135 lenses in F Mount, f3.5 / 2.8 / 2. Was your lens another brand? Was it f1:4 rather than f1:1.4?
01-25-2021, 04:57 PM - 4 Likes   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Not All The Time

But I must admit that my "Lady Luck" Pentax-A*135mm F1.8 delivers when asked... here's a few examples to show the flexibility of this focal length when it comes to image making.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-25-2021, 08:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And if you needed a reason to get 135mm lens...
01-26-2021, 01:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
But I must admit that my "Lady Luck" Pentax-A*135mm F1.8 delivers when asked... here's a few examples to show the flexibility of this focal length when it comes to image making.
Wonderful pics! Roll on the DFA 135mm F1.8! I want one.
01-26-2021, 05:35 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Ed Quote
And if you needed a reason to get 135mm lens...
Thank you for that...
01-26-2021, 05:37 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
Wonderful pics!
Thank you.

Roll on the DFA 135mm F1.8! I want one.
Why wait?... my "Lady Luck" (Pentax-A*135mm F1.8) has sisters already available right now.
01-26-2021, 09:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Roll on the DFA 135mm F1.8! I want one.
That would cost 10k and weigh 5000g.....

Phil.