Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2021, 10:43 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I remember when Fuji and others said ibis made no sense
Add Canon and Nikon to that. Now everyone is doing it. I saw a Nikon user video all about how he no longer needed a tripod, it was a revelation!
Still no-one give Pentax kudos for that.

01-29-2021, 10:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I've shot hundreds of frames testing my K-3 II's SR with my telephoto lenses, both hand-held and tripod-mounted, and concluded that if my hands are on the camera, SR=ON.
And when you are on the tripod, the two second day automatically turns IBIS off, it's designed that way for a reason.

When birding I leave IBIS on, because I shoot without the delay and movement is possible, even on a tripod. So yes, if your hands are touching the camera when the shutter is released, IBIS should be on.
01-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Only time I turn IBIS off is when I'm using manual zooms like the M 75-150. I simply can not be arsed to change the focal length every time I shoot.

Exception is of course when light isn't amazing and I'm not shooting at higher shutter speeds.
01-29-2021, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I find IBIS very effective for long lenses. For example, I almost exclusively shoot my DFA 70-200 and 150-450 hand-held, and very rarely get any shake blur, even at very low shutter speeds. Where IBIS gets a bad rep on long lenses is that it doesn't stabilise the image in the OVF, unlike in-lens stabilisation, but that has no effect on the final image, apart from how it might affect the composition. So I definitely don't turn SR off when hand-holding my telephotos.

01-29-2021, 02:24 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I never actively turn it off but I use 2sec self timer a lot on tripod.
I also tend to use the 2 second self timer when I am utilizing a tripod.
01-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Only time I turn IBIS off is when I'm using manual zooms like the M 75-150. I simply can not be arsed to change the focal length every time I shoot.

Exception is of course when light isn't amazing and I'm not shooting at higher shutter speeds.
For a 1:2 Zoom lens, you can just set the focal length about 2/3 into the range - e.g. 120mm and leave it fixed, also useful to signal which lens you had on the camera. This way, at the long end, IBIS correction will still be about 80% (=120mm/150mm), where as it overshoots at the short end by (120mm/75mm-1) = 60% or still 40% correct. The short end is where it's least impactful anyway, so 120mm is a good compromise which provides at least 40% stabilization but a lot more over most of the range, with best results where it matters most.
01-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've read about ibis being problematic with wide and ultra wide lenses. Does anyone have experience with this. Saw someone using some other brand mention it and that it affected corner smear. I though it might be the cause of my poor da15 results because everyone was raving the da15 being so sharp. I figured out my performance was normal though and couldn't see any ibis influence.

01-29-2021, 03:58 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I never turn IBIS off.
01-29-2021, 09:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I've read about ibis being problematic with wide and ultra wide lenses. Does anyone have experience with this. Saw someone using some other brand mention it and that it affected corner smear. I though it might be the cause of my poor da15 results because everyone was raving the da15 being so sharp. I figured out my performance was normal though and couldn't see any ibis influence.
Poor corner performance may be due to field curvature compared to plane of focus. So the corner are often out of focus and blurry as a result. I do not think SR has anything to do with that. Pentax got it right.
01-29-2021, 09:21 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If that other brand was a mirrorless - remember that the mirrorless sensors went through a period of problems with wide and ultrawide angle lenses due to the high angle of attack of the light at the corners. The microlenses needed redesign to avoid severe issues in the corners of wide angle lenses and even then some still complain. The software hides some of this in some cameras but ultimately this more than SR could be the cause of the issue - with SR simply adding to it by perhaps moving the already complex system and changing those angles.

Of course it is possible that it is just SR that causes this - but only on that brand. I have personally never found a shot that seemed hurt by SR - but I have pushed it too far a few times.
01-30-2021, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I recently bought the 15mm limited and will be doing the single in challenge with it next month. Corner softness on the 15mm is well documented but according to @BigMacCam it is down to the way it has been made to reduce distortion. The lens itself should be nice and sharp in the centre. Have you tried calibrating it? Have a look at this thread. I started it when I was considering the 15mm and it was enough to convince me to get one

What is the purpose of the 15mm limited? - PentaxForums.com
01-30-2021, 03:44 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I have read something about stars in the corner of UWA lenses not beeing tracked as good as the center portion when using astro tracer. I am not sure but this might be either related to the necessary sensor movement to remedy that would degrade the result in the center, or because the sensor misses the freedom of movement in a certain direction to track the whole image equally.
Nevertheless this issue could be related to your question, although the faster shutters peeds when using SR should reduce (or eliminate) that issue.
01-31-2021, 02:43 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I think I have read something about stars in the corner of UWA lenses not beeing tracked as good as the center portion when using astro tracer. I am not sure but this might be either related to the necessary sensor movement to remedy that would degrade the result in the center, or because the sensor misses the freedom of movement in a certain direction to track the whole image equally.
Hmm interesting, my brain hurts a bit trying to think through the issue I *think* rotational ibis was the issue but the sensor resolution is the same regardless of lens so it shouldn't matter if the rays come from a wider field of view... or?

To you astro example I think you can add video right? I basically never shoot video but i again *think* walk and talk puts pressure on ibis with wide angles. The corner behaviour can be a bit disconcerting. If that is indeed the case for video it should also be an issue for stills but with slightly different results. Will try look it up at some point.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I recently bought the 15mm limited and will be doing the single in challenge with it next month. Corner softness on the 15mm is well documented but according to @BigMacCam it is down to the way it has been made to reduce distortion. The lens itself should be nice and sharp in the centre.
It's great in the centre. I've had mine for many years and when I got it no one acknowledged the softer corners so I was a bit confused. People basically claimed it was sharp across the frame. Now I think the discussions are a bit more fair. I love the lens by the way, particularly for documentary type stuff kids and environmental portraits. No lens makes me as angry for architecture though, the small size and nice handling tempts me to use it but then I'm not to happy with the results.
01-31-2021, 04:03 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm interesting, my brain hurts a bit trying to think through the issue I *think* rotational ibis was the issue but the sensor resolution is the same regardless of lens so it shouldn't matter if the rays come from a wider field of view... or?

To you astro example I think you can add video right? I basically never shoot video but i again *think* walk and talk puts pressure on ibis with wide angles. The corner behaviour can be a bit disconcerting. If that is indeed the case for video it should also be an issue for stills but with slightly different results. Will try look it up at some point.
There is a difference between narrower and wider field of views for SR, that's why it is so important to enter the correct (or nearest) focal lenght in the camera when using vintage lenses.

As for video, I am not sure what you mean exactly, but mechanical SR is deactivated during video (for newer cameras than the K-5 I think), camera shake is 'handled' with in software (but I am certain you are better off deactivating that too).
There is also some wobbling going on when moving the camera when shooting videos because of rolling shutter.
01-31-2021, 05:14 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
There is a difference between narrower and wider field of views for SR, that's why it is so important to enter the correct (or nearest) focal lenght in the camera when using vintage lenses.

As for video, I am not sure what you mean exactly, but mechanical SR is deactivated during video (for newer cameras than the K-5 I think), camera shake is 'handled' with in software (but I am certain you are better off deactivating that too).
There is also some wobbling going on when moving the camera when shooting videos because of rolling shutter.
othar I was referring to other brands. As a general thing about ibis. I did a quick search but didn't find any good examples. This dpreview discussion is about the theoretical limits of ibis. They find that wide angles are indeed a problem for ibis as it's basically about sacrificing edge sharpness for center sharpness. I can't vouch for the science though...

Theoretical limits of IBIS away from the center of an image: Photographic Science and Technology Forum: Digital Photography Review