Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When to turn off IBIS?

Leica, god bless em, have recently released another eyewateringly expensive camera. One of the features is IBIS. Leica engineers have set the camera up so that IBIS only operates up to 1/60 which got me thinking. Should we be switching off ibis and switching to the reciprocal rule once we get longer than 100mm? I have read how ibis is less effective with longer lenses but I always leave it on because I am lazy. I generally use the timer when the camera is on a tripod, which disables ibis, but at all other times it is on. Is there a point at which ibis is actually detrimental to the sharpness of the hand held image? I took my 55-300mm out for a less than scientific, hand held test, the light was awful and it was starting to rain but I wanted to see if I got sharp shots without ibis. So, I set my aperture to f7.1 (close to the sweet spot at f9 but a little wider to maximise the light) set my shutter to 1/400 and auto Iso max to "ludicrous" and took some shots. OK, Iso noise had an impact but I could see that the sharp fine detail was there, so i am sold on the idea but I am far from being an expert. Does anyone switch off ibis as a matter of course? I know it can soften an image on a tripod or stable base but does it soften the image at other times? Have the Leica boffins got it right?

01-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess Leica can't use IBIS for panning shots, like Pentax could from the K-3ii. Perhaps in another 10 years if they catch up, we should take some notice of them.

I leave it on all the time, it only turns off when I go self timer or MUP or remote on a tripod and that is automatic so i'm good.

It's one less thing to worry about or get wrong IMO.
01-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I know it can soften an image on a tripod or stable base but does it soften the image at other times?
I have yet to find evidence of that, I tried a couple of times. I did notice that it eliminates most shutter-induced blur (e.g. FA 31mm Ltd at 1/60 s), so I leave it on most of the time - turning it off when I use the Sigma OS in the 70-200mm f/2.8, and when using the 2s times on a tripod outside the narrow shutter-blur range.
01-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Leica, god bless em, have recently released another eyewateringly expensive camera. One of the features is IBIS. Leica engineers have set the camera up so that IBIS only operates up to 1/60 which got me thinking. Should we be switching off ibis and switching to the reciprocal rule once we get longer than 100mm?
I tend to follow the reciprocal rule (faster than 1/[(1x, 1.5x or 2x whatever variation you use)focal length]) most of the time, not just for longer lenses, so no switching between SR and this rule needed

edit: when I shoot some pictures in rapid succession for a panorama shot I sometimes have a few images with motion blur in it, I might try turning SR off in future for those applications to test which gives more consistent results

Last edited by othar; 01-28-2021 at 01:09 PM.
01-28-2021, 02:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you are using a faster shutter speed like 400 or whatever is appropriate for the amount of movement you are shooting, you are bound to get results that reflect that shutter speed. Of course, if you are shooting for example landscape on a tripod for a longer exposure with the image stabilization off, the camera will also provide a good shot if the camera is not disturbed on the tripod. As for me, I use my Pentax SR (shake reduction feature) almost always just as a precaution a majority of the time. Also, if the lens I am using has some sort of image stabilization turned on, I can turn off the SR on the camera, or vice versa (shut of lens stabilization, turn on SR). Something a user should avoid is having both the lens stabilization and the camera stabilization on at the same time, because they may counteract each other. If you have your F stop at a lower number, obviously it will give you less of a depth of field, but as I said, if you are using an appropriate shutter speed when you shoot, the images you get will most likely be what you are looking for.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-28-2021 at 02:32 PM.
01-28-2021, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never, ever turn it off. I do allow the camera to turn it off, however. As others have mentioned already.

I'm a product photographer (among many other tasks at work, let's not get carried away). Most of my shots are on a tripod, with the subject in a lightbox. Focal lengths can vary from 28mm to 105mm, usually 70mm (I shoot APS-C exclusively). For those shots, I'm usually at ƒ/8 or ƒ/11 with the camera on a 2 second timer. It's my understanding that my K200D disables the Shake Reduction even with the hardware SR switch set to "on."

My K-S2 has no hardware SR switch, and I don't take very many product photos with it, but I know it disables the SR and does a cool mirror lock-up when I put it onto 2 second self-timer.

I went with Pentax for three reasons: AA batteries, Shake Reduction, and the SMC DA 10–17mm Zoom Fish-Eye. I have grudgingly accepted that my K-S2 must take lithium batteries, but I see no reason to turn off SR. I could be handholding my FA 50mm at ƒ/1.4, ISO 200 and 1/1000 in morning sunshine, and I'll still have SR on. I just don't see that it costs me anything.

I know it's a more nuanced issue for movies, but I don't do movies with Pentax. Doesn't seem a strength of the brand.
01-28-2021, 05:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I turn it off when the camera is on a tripod and using a shutter remote for bracketing/alignment. If the IBIS is on, it shifts the image a little due to the way IBIS works so alignment works better and wastes less pixels when IBIS is off.
01-28-2021, 07:13 PM   #8

Turn it off when:
A. On Tripod
B. Shutter Speed high >1/320

01-28-2021, 09:56 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never actively turn it off but I use 2sec self timer a lot on tripod.
01-28-2021, 10:47 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I never actively turn it off but I use 2sec self timer a lot on tripod.
I'm with UncleVanya!
01-29-2021, 01:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, I think that was pretty definitive lol. Mine is back on BTW, and now, staying that way
01-29-2021, 03:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't turn it off either. Most of my shots are hand held, and almost none of them suffers from motion blur. And KP disables SR automatically when on timer, which is perfect. Trust SR, and trust SR auto disabling.
01-29-2021, 04:59 AM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

funny thing, this SR/IBIS issue - especially now that other camera manufacturers are finally tumbling to the idea that building it into the camera makes more sense than not....

I have two Fuji MILC cameras, one with and one without SR - and they have become completely different characters in my hands - if I have a shot I desperately want to get, I take the camera with SR built in......

as far as turning it off - only if I'm using a tripod and no timer....
01-29-2021, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember when Fuji and others said ibis made no sense. Pentax and Olympus are the two leaders in this space. I would take what they say over anyone else until it is proven that another manufacturer has special insight.
01-29-2021, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've shot hundreds of frames testing my K-3 II's SR with my telephoto lenses, both hand-held and tripod-mounted, and concluded that if my hands are on the camera, SR=ON.