Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2021, 09:11 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps Pentax is "ahead of the curve"

Interesting article on the Phoblographer citing Canon's gloomy view of the current photographic equipment market. In the article as it got to the potential consideration of "future direction" (limited models, "feature packed", etc.) of the industry couldn't help but think they're tallking about Pentax. Would like to think that that 100+ years of experience brings something to the market that some of the rest need to time to learn.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2021/02/05/its-time-to-trim-the-fat-canon-g...-camera-sales/

Last edited by AlwaysAl; 02-06-2021 at 09:20 AM.
02-06-2021, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The article does paint a pretty gloomy picture for the entire camera industry. Convenience is the rule in today's market. For me, I carry different cameras for different planned usage. For most, the smart phone is all they carry. I can see that large camera companies will suffer the most in sales and workforce. I hope that Pentax survives, because there are many types of photography that can't be done well with just a smartphone. Technological advancements may change this in the future, but for now, DSLRs are still desirable for many types of photography.

Last edited by MikeNArk; 02-06-2021 at 02:05 PM.
02-06-2021, 10:14 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There will always be a market for high end enthusiast/pro photography gear. It's just that it's not the bloated market camera companies got used to during the buble years of the aughts and just beyond. All these doom and gloom projections are looking at the market through the lens of these bloat/bubble years. look at a graph that goes back to 1970 and the situation becomes very clear.

Bubbles always burst. Camera companies can consider themselves lucky that they are being let down as easily as they are---more like a rough landing than a nose dive into the ground.
02-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote

Bubbles always burst. Camera companies can consider themselves lucky that they are being let down as easily as they are---more like a rough landing than a nose dive into the ground.
Olympus might disagree with the assessment, but if they are the only long-time brand lost then it's a relatively small price to pay for the hobby (and industry) to survive.

02-06-2021, 12:54 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
The article does paint a pretty gloomy picture for the entire camera industry. Convenience is the rule in today's market. For me, I carry different cameras for different planned usage. For most, the smart phone is all they carry. I can see that large camera companies will suffer the most in sales and workforce. I hope that Pentax survives, because their are many types of photography that can't be done well with just a smartphone. Technological advancements may change this in the future, but for now, DSLRs are still desirable for many types of photography.
Convinience has always been a driver in most consumer markets. FI convinience was the reason why 35mm film was introduced in the first place as an alternative to the larger film formats that was in use at the time. One major reason Pentax got popular was because they where a leader in innovation in making the 35mm SLR cameras more convienient to use.

In no time in history have more people owned image capturing devices than today. But I believe that the number of camera/photography entusiasts has been pretty constant the last several decades (since long before digital photography). Today it is mostly these enthusiasts the camera industry have to live on.

In 5-10 years the mobile phone industry will probably go through something like camera industry go through today. Then the smartphones have matured enough so that few see a reason to upgrade to the latest model every year.
02-06-2021, 12:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Olympus might disagree with the assessment, but if they are the only long-time brand lost then it's a relatively small price to pay for the hobby (and industry) to survive.
But a bad loss to be sure...but one involving corporate malfeasance and a bad bet on a format.
02-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Olympus has a new owner/partner, similar to some other brands of cameras. HassleBad,MinSonlta,RicTax

02-06-2021, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funny what happens when you go out of your way to dismantle the system that allows people to touch and handle a multi thousand dollar purchase.
02-06-2021, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Interesting article on the Phoblographer citing Canon's gloomy view of the current photographic equipment market. In the article as it got to the potential consideration of "future direction" (limited models, "feature packed", etc.) of the industry couldn't help but think they're tallking about Pentax. Would like to think that that 100+ years of experience brings something to the market that some of the rest need to time to learn.

It's Time To Trim The Fat. Canon Gets Gloomy About Camera Sales
Excellent article, and one where I agree with the recommendations.
02-06-2021, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do think there are way too many models -- particularly when you consider models that have been superseded by new gear. Many people who purchase an ILC do so based on price. So they end up looking at Canon Tx or Nikon D5xxx and just choose whatever is the cheapest model that comes with a kit lens or two. For all of the R and D spent on MILCs by Canon and Nikon, they are really too pricey for the average person who feels they need to upgrade their camera phone.

And yet, the answer from the brands is that they need to "go upscale." They need to make more money per unit, even if it means cutting out more purchasers. That doesn't feel like a great solution in the long run, but it sure seems like the way forward. For all the talk about cheaper MILCs, the price on them is pretty high unless you buy used.