Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2021, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-3 is it ok

I recently bought a K-3 with 27,000 shutter count and was wondering if that is an ok count. I got a good price..............

02-06-2021, 04:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dougieazar Quote
I recently bought a K-3 with 27,000 shutter count and was wondering if that is an ok count. I got a good price..............
Barely out of babyhood at that count. K-3 shutter has a tested life of 200K.
02-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mine has ~40,000. Works like a charm.
If I am not mistaken it is dimensioned for around 200,000 actuations (the shutter curtain beeing the weak link, I think)
02-06-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the shutter count is an estimate, not a guarantee

as noted by other posters, the K 3 has an estimate shutter life of 200,000

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax K-3 was announced on October 8, 2013 as the new Pentax DSLR flagship model. Compared to the K-5, it has a 24MP sensor (vs. 16MP for the K-5), a faster frame rate of 8.3 FPS, 27 AF points (op from 11), more AF modes, and a 3.2 inch monitor (up from 3 inch).

Click here for our in-depth review of the Pentax K-3

Of particular interest is a couple of new innovative features:

1) The sensor has no anti-alias filter just like the K-5 IIs, but the effect of an AA filter can be simulated through micro-movements of the sensor using the shake reduction (SR) mechanism. This means that the effect of an AA filter can basically be turned on and off. For subjects with very fine detail in repeating patterns where one runs the risk of false color patterns (moiré) the filter should be turned on. For landscape photography the filter could be turned off and the images would benefit from increased resolution.

2) The camera supports the FLU Card, which is an SD card with built in WiFi. With this card in the camera one can control the camera remotely from a PC, tablet or smart phone. Remote live view is also provided.

3) A new, more sensitive metering system deploying a 86,000 pixel sensor. The metering sensitivity goes down to -3 EV thus matching the impressive -3 EV lowest sensitivity of the autofocus system.

The K-3 has two SD card slots that can be employed in various ways, hereunder setting one slot up for backing up the images, or JPG can be recorded to one card and RAW to the other.

The movie format is MPEG-4 AVC/H.264(MOV), which is more widely used than the AVI format of the K-5 series.

The body is constructed of magnesium alloy on top of a steel chassis and is weather sealed and cold proof to -10C/14F. The body is slightly larger than the K-5 and the battery grip from the K-5/K-7 will not fit. A new grip, BG5, has been developed. The grip takes either a rechargeable D-LI90 Li-Ion battery or 6 AA batteries.

The additional features have called for a few extra buttons to be added to the camera body so that many settings can be changed without having to go into the menu. Details about the button layout is described in our in-depth review.

Major features subsequently added through firmware updates:

Version 1.41: Optimized performance with the D FA* 85mm F1.4 lens
Version 1.40: Optimized performance with the D FA* 50mm F1.4 lens
Version 1.30: Support for lenses with KAF4 mount, i.e. lenses that have foregone the mechanical stop-down lever
Version 1.20: Support for AF buttons on the barrel of the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm lens
Version 1.10: Diffraction Correction
Version 1.03: Support for HD Pentax-DA Rear Converter 1.4X AW
Version 1.02: AA Filter Bracketing
Camera Manuals:

AA Filter Bracketing
Diffraction correction
Operating Manual
Read more at: Pentax K-3 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specificationsf

follow the link to get the manual if you need one

you might also consider the ebook

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/?ebooks=1&loginrequired=1#sub18

and you may want to check the firmware ( you only need to upload the latest version to be up to date )

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250893-pentax-d...ml#post2683654

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-06-2021 at 04:45 PM.
02-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently sold a K-3 with over 160K shutter actuations on it - still worked every day, every shot...

my current K-3 has close to 60K on it and never a stutter to it....

plus.... didn't you already buy it?

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 02-06-2021 at 04:53 PM.
02-06-2021, 06:31 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sounds like a pretty low count to me.

Steve
02-06-2021, 07:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That K3 should last you many years with that shutter count. Plenty of life left in it!