Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photographers Robbed While Stuck in SF Traffic, Lose $7,000 in Camera Gear

QuoteQuote:
This may be the modern-day equivalent of a stagecoach robbery: a pair of photographers were just brazenly robbed while they were sitting in traffic in San Francisco. Robbers smashed their rear window and stole a bag filled with $7,000 in gear, and it was all caught on camera.
The positive aspect of this is that the theft was caught on video with the license plate of the thief. Hopefully, home owners/car insurance will cover some or hopefully all the losses.

02-08-2021, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They must have known the photo kit was in that car, and accessible from the rear window, presumably having watched them load it after their photo shoot and then followed.
02-08-2021, 04:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

In London (UK) many years ago, there was a smartly-dressed gang operating in Trafalgar Square, who would approach small groups of tourists (usually a family) with 'proper' camera equipment (SLR and gadget bag, generally), and offer to take their photo with their own camera, while they posed before one of Landseer's lions - they would also suggest the group left their portable belongings behind 'so as not to spoil the picture'. Many families took advantage of this friendly gesture, would stroll towards the plinth, turn and smile at the empty space where the 'photographer' and their possessions had been.
02-08-2021, 07:45 AM   #4

Idk , sorry but this whole thing looks staged ..

02-08-2021, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kayakfari Quote
Idk , sorry but this whole thing looks staged ..
Interesting, what part looks staged?
How would it look different if it wasn't staged?
And why are you sorry?

My vehicle has a compartment under the rear deck, where equipment can be stored out of sight. It's very handy in urban situations. I've had windows broken by someone who stole a back pack before. Windows aren't much protection against these guys.

Last edited by normhead; 02-08-2021 at 08:06 AM.
02-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #6

It just has the look of 'over acting', the whole thing IMHO.
In order for this to happen, the culprit(s) would have had to have seen expensive gear being loaded into a particular spot in that specific vehicle. Then they would've had to have been followed for some distance, something that the driver noticed. But then she's all suprised and looking in the other direction as the car that she knows was following her speeds of behind her. I don't buy it!
02-08-2021, 11:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The irony in this sad story is that San Francisco's Hall of Justice is visible in the video's frame.

02-09-2021, 05:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kayakfari Quote
It just has the look of 'over acting', the whole thing IMHO.
In order for this to happen, the culprit(s) would have had to have seen expensive gear being loaded into a particular spot in that specific vehicle. Then they would've had to have been followed for some distance, something that the driver noticed. But then she's all suprised and looking in the other direction as the car that she knows was following her speeds of behind her. I don't buy it!
And you know she noticed they were following because?

I've seen people more animated after hitting a home run playing baseball.
02-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And you know she noticed they were following because?

I've seen people more animated after hitting a home run playing baseball.
The linked article says "Masha, who had been driving the car, had noticed the dark car following them after they had left the photoshoot." What that doesn't indicate, though, is whether the victim considered it a coincidence; lots of cars coincidentally take the same turns.
02-09-2021, 08:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The linked article says "Masha, who had been driving the car, had noticed the dark car following them after they had left the photoshoot." What that doesn't indicate, though, is whether the victim considered it a coincidence; lots of cars coincidentally take the same turns.
I've noticed cars following me lots of times. It never lead to a robbery. Usually either I get to my exit or they get to theirs and they just turn off.

Once late in the evening travelling late, tired, I picked a "guy" like I sometimes do, and just followed him, it's sometimes easier than just driving. It worked out fine until he turned off onto a side road where a couple houses from the highway he turned into his driveway.

Turns out it's not smart to follow someone unless you know where they're going.
02-09-2021, 08:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Imagine the disappointment of the thief when he'd discovers that the cameras and lens are Pentax models: "gosh, I'm gonna have a hard time to resell those in the grey market"
02-09-2021, 01:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

HighwayRobbery!

Not young thieves,they havent heard of Pentax.
02-09-2021, 08:22 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've noticed cars following me lots of times. It never lead to a robbery. Usually either I get to my exit or they get to theirs and they just turn off.

Once late in the evening travelling late, tired, I picked a "guy" like I sometimes do, and just followed him, it's sometimes easier than just driving. It worked out fine until he turned off onto a side road where a couple houses from the highway he turned into his driveway.

Turns out it's not smart to follow someone unless you know where they're going.

ha ha! yeah I guess maybe driving for years in crazy South Florida, I pick up on things right away ..
and I NEVER follow another driver (unless I know them) .. lol ~!