Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2021, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
Framing doesn't have to be expensive.

I buy standard size frames at hobby lobby or Michaels. I can print up to 13x19. that size works well in 18x24 frames. For mats hobby lobby has a large selection of colors for $11for a 32x40 sheet. You can get 2 18x24 mats from a sheet with leftovers for smaller frames. I cut my mats with a logan 450-1 system. The 450 runs $160 but a 301, 350 would be fine. The 301 sells for $70 less a 20% coupon at hobby lobby. I have cut mat with just a mat cutter, ruler and self-healing board it works but having the actual system makes it a lot easier
Neat info. I’m going to look up that system.

02-10-2021, 10:07 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for all the ideas. We have some really interesting ideas proposed, and I am torn between the digital, and framed prints. Maybe I could do both. I really like the prints on glass, but I am a solo practitioner with an administrative assistant, and I am not sure I want to spend several hundred dollars; a few hundred dollars, maybe.

---------- Post added 02-10-21 at 11:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
To show my own images domestically, I copy the ones I want to show to a USB stick, which I insert into the USB socket on my TV, then set to random play. Totally self contained, and different selections can be put on other USB sticks.
My televisions are older and do not have USB ports. Does this require special software on the USB flash drive, or does the television you use have sufficient RAM and a built in program to run a stream of photos? I might consider something like this that can easily incorporate new photos I take, over time.

Last edited by mroeder75; 02-10-2021 at 10:23 PM.
02-10-2021, 10:45 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Thank you for all the ideas. We have some really interesting ideas proposed, and I am torn between the digital, and framed prints. Maybe I could do both. I really like the prints on glass, but I am a solo practitioner with an administrative assistant, and I am not sure I want to spend several hundred dollars; a few hundred dollars, maybe.

---------- Post added 02-10-21 at 11:21 PM ----------

My televisions are older and do not have USB ports. Does this require special software on the USB flash drive, or does the television you use have sufficient RAM and a built in program to run a stream of photos? I might consider something like this that can easily incorporate new photos I take, over time.
If they have hdmi get a device to plug in and display stuff. Many options most are cheap. Here’s just one: https://amazonfiretv.blog/how-to-personalize-your-fire-tv-screensaver-with-y...s-14db56867e75
02-11-2021, 04:07 AM   #19

I'm using at home a Samsung The Frame TV for this purpose, they come in different sizes (and prices), and get a number of features for displaying art:
-they look like a picture frame
-provision for a gap-less wall mount, or alternatively feet to stand on a piece of furniture without looking too much like a TV
-display mode is more economical in power than other TVs, is coupled with a light and motion detector, and allows for diaporamas, some compositing, filters and mats.
-Do note that it makes use of a deported case, with built-in memory and a few USB ports.

02-11-2021, 05:58 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JMvS Quote
I'm using at home a Samsung The Frame TV for this purpose, they come in different sizes (and prices), and get a number of features for displaying art:
-they look like a picture frame
-provision for a gap-less wall mount, or alternatively feet to stand on a piece of furniture without looking too much like a TV
-display mode is more economical in power than other TVs, is coupled with a light and motion detector, and allows for diaporamas, some compositing, filters and mats.
-Do note that it makes use of a deported case, with built-in memory and a few USB ports.
They are quite expensive however, I paid half that for my 55 inch QLED.

---------- Post added 02-11-21 at 08:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
My Samsung QLED TV has everything you need for a 7 second delay slide show. It's limited in how it can be programmed for different display times. Bit everything comes built into the Smart TV. I provide only memory sticks with my images. But it also lets you display one image if you so choose.
02-11-2021, 06:57 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They are quite expensive however, I paid half that for my 55 inch QLED.

---------- Post added 02-11-21 at 08:01 AM ----------

My Samsung QLED TV has everything you need for a 7 second delay slide show. It's limited in how it can be programmed for different display times. Bit everything comes built into the Smart TV. I provide only memory sticks with my images. But it also lets you display one image if you so choose.
True. While we got our 43 inch cheaper thanks to a cashback, for the same price I could have got a larger QLED with full array local dimming.

But my wife was really sold on the concept of The Frame, and it is true that while the Ambient Mode allows for displaying pictures, the Art Mode specific to the The Frame line allows to select a wide range of intervals for slide shows from 10min to several hours or static, on top of a choice of mats (useful is your pics are not 16/9) or allowing IIRC the display of several pictures at the same time.
02-11-2021, 07:10 AM   #22
Pentaxian

True. While we got our 43 inch cheaper thanks to a cashback, for the same price I could have got a larger QLED with full array local dimming.

But my wife was really sold on the concept of The Frame, and it is true that while the Ambient Mode allows for displaying pictures, the Art Mode specific to the The Frame line allows to select a wide range of intervals for slide shows from 10min to several hours or static, on top of a choice of mats (useful is your pics are not 16/9) or allowing IIRC the display of several pictures at the same time.
For an office, The frame would be the way to go. For us, when used as a TV we can change the angle of the TV on our wall swivel mount to accommodate larger groups of people. We often take advantage of the swivel wall mount. But for a dedicated picture in an office, the frame would be the more professional looking option.

02-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Deported?
02-15-2021, 02:34 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Deported?
Like some of the Samsung top of the line, the Samsung The Frame use the One Connect Box, which is the "brain" of the TV, and hosts all the ports, and allows for a single low profile cable to come out of the TV, except for the 32' version which has a power cable in addition to the box IIRC.
02-15-2021, 07:56 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like some of the Samsung top of the line, the Samsung The Frame use the One Connect Box, which is the "brain" of the TV, and hosts all the ports, and allows for a single low profile cable to come out of the TV, except for the 32' version which has a power cable in addition to the box IIRC.
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.