Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2021, 11:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Displaying Photos

I have a one-man law office. I would like to display some of my photographs for others to enjoy.

I am not very artistic. I have some folk art work and rotate it around the office so the same piece does not hang at the same place for years. You might see it in the reception area one year, or in one of the offices where I meet people another year. Several ideas have come to me regarding display of photos.
  1. I could have a digital photo frame to display in my reception area.
  2. I could print oversized photos, frame and hang them throughout the office, and rotate the stock. Framing can be expensive.
  3. I could contract a few photos to be printed on glass or metal (also expensive).

An exceptional photo of roses I made I adhered to foam board and stuck to one of the doors. It is a beautiful photo; but the display method - sticking it on a door -- is only a bit better than not displaying it.

I am searching for ideas.

02-10-2021, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I have a one-man law office. I would like to display some of my photographs for others to enjoy.

I am not very artistic. I have some folk art work and rotate it around the office so the same piece does not hang at the same place for years. You might see it in the reception area one year, or in one of the offices where I meet people another year. Several ideas have come to me regarding display of photos.
  1. I could have a digital photo frame to display in my reception area.
  2. I could print oversized photos, frame and hang them throughout the office, and rotate the stock. Framing can be expensive.
  3. I could contract a few photos to be printed on glass or metal (also expensive).

An exceptional photo of roses I made I adhered to foam board and stuck to one of the doors. It is a beautiful photo; but the display method - sticking it on a door -- is only a bit better than not displaying it.

Sounds like a good use case for a front loading snap frame like these amazon.com : SECO Front Load Easy Open Snap Frame Poster/Picture Frame 8.5 x 11 Inches, Silver Metal Frame (SN8511-SV) : Office Products?tag=pentaxforums-20&
02-10-2021, 02:29 AM   #3
Forum Member

I do not know your location, but Xpozer seems a good option for this. (In europe at least )
Personally i find it a nice system for displaying my photos.
Just search internet for Xpozer or Xpozer photo frame.
02-10-2021, 03:28 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
suggestion:

1 find an affordable lap top or monitor, or may be multiple ? plus a external hard drive

2 place lap top/monitor in the reception area where the screen is visible to the clients

3 set up your photos as a rotating screen saver

[ alternatively, get a flickr account and put photos on it and link to the account to play photos automatically ]

cost deductible as an office expense ?

[ I never practiced tax law, so check that with your tax expert ]

02-10-2021, 03:31 AM   #5
Closed Account

Printing and mounting is expensive, if it's for one area how about a cheap TV on a mount with a Google Chromecast attached, upon which one can connect to an album of one's own and set it to randomly display pictures at a required frequency. For best result, you'd need to edit your pictures into the right aspect ratio, say 16x9 but not necessarily.
02-10-2021, 03:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

To show my own images domestically, I copy the ones I want to show to a USB stick, which I insert into the USB socket on my TV, then set to random play. Totally self contained, and different selections can be put on other USB sticks.

I have also toyed with the idea of buying some A4 Film Clear Inkjet Label Transparency sheets, then applying them to my windows as a form of modern stained glass.
02-10-2021, 04:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I could print oversized photos, frame and hang them throughout the office, and rotate the stock. Framing can be expensive.
Frames can be expensive but they last a long time, and allow rotating photos once in a while. I've standardized the sizes at which I get prints done ( 60x80 cm and 70x90 cm ), so that I can reuse the same frames.
I have made my own custom frames (with real wood) because I wasn't satisfied with the quality of commercial frames, and so that the backside is easily removable. Light projected on prints at proper angle takes glare off the glass and make the print pop, more than any electronic display. Even after getting used to see my prints under frames and light spots, I'm still enjoying it. I have walls dedicated to displaying my prints. For the prints that aren't on display, I've made a 120x80cm storage folder to keep the prints flat and protected from light and dust.

02-10-2021, 04:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go to the Groupon website. They usually have several different styles (canvas, acrylic, metal, etc.) of printing for pretty cheap. You can generally pick the size and shape you need. Just order a smaller size of a print that you're considering for display and see what you think. The smaller sizes run $5-10, depending on the material. If you like it, most places have wide range of sizes (8x10 through 30x40). Cheap way to find out what mediums you like.
02-10-2021, 06:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Print 20x30" or larger on photo paper. Costco prints 20x30"s for $10 or $12. Get yourself a big sheet of 1/2" black Foamcore with black core. Mount the prints with spray glue onto the Foamcore. Trim to size and use 1x3" wood strips with double sticky tape on the back for hanging the prints. Use one 1x3" toward the top for hanging and one strip towards the bottom for extra weight and to set the proper distance from the wall for top and bottom. I do photography for a video broadcast integrator in Los Angeles. I photograph their gear and installations. For a long hallway leading up to their showroom, we made ten 24x36" prints and used the above technique to display their prints. The "gallary" looks great and my client is thrilled by the high end look of the "galley" at a very reasonable cost.
02-10-2021, 06:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'd suggest a 32 inch to 40 inch 4k TV with a wall mount. That's what my dentists office uses.
You can plug a memory stick directly into the back of the TV and run it all day if you wish.

The cost of a TV as compared to paying for multiple prints will end up being a lot cheaper in the long run and make the images a lot more appealing. Max contrast on a print is 120:1. TV can do three times that.

Being able to pull the memory stick and use another one means you change pictures without changing your display unit. You pay once, no additional cost until the TV dies. No matter how many thousands of images you display.
02-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check out Michaels or Target for frames.

Here are a dozen 11x17 for $7 a pop: 12 Pack: Black Narrow Frame, Aspect by Studio Décor® | Michaels

You'll still need to make your prints. Sounds like Costco (as btnapa points out above) would be good. For a couple hundred bucks you can have a dozen images in frames to rotate around. I think this would look a bit classier than a TV set (but not as flexible).
02-10-2021, 07:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Check out Michaels or Target for frames.

Here are a dozen 11x17 for $7 a pop: 12 Pack: Black Narrow Frame, Aspect by Studio Décor® | Michaels

You'll still need to make your prints. Sounds like Costco (as btnapa points out above) would be good. For a couple hundred bucks you can have a dozen images in frames to rotate around. I think this would look a bit classier than a TV set (but not as flexible).
Classier?

Well ya I guess, if you think it's classier, go for it.
But not all of us will agree.
I much prefer the rotating slide show at my dentists office to a single print that never changes the whole time I'm in the chair. Static displays lose my interest real quick.

But if it's all about being classy, then OK.

For myself personally, I watch those thousands of images go by a couple times a week, and after a while some of the stand out. We print those ones. I think we get much better selections for prints this way.

Technically, the TV has more dynamic range and therefore will be more life like. The only thing print has going for it is it's what people are used to. If you're going to make the best use of the 14 EV of DR of your digital camera, a TV is just better.

Last edited by normhead; 02-10-2021 at 07:38 AM.
02-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can also use lcd panels. The smaller ones are cheap these days. The 32” TCL smart tv w/Roku I got for my son was around $150 and they have 24” screens even cheaper. Typically these have wireless and multiple options for display of photos.
02-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Framing doesn't have to be expensive.

I buy standard size frames at hobby lobby or Michaels. I can print up to 13x19. that size works well in 18x24 frames. For mats hobby lobby has a large selection of colors for $11for a 32x40 sheet. You can get 2 18x24 mats from a sheet with leftovers for smaller frames. I cut my mats with a logan 450-1 system. The 450 runs $160 but a 301, 350 would be fine. The 301 sells for $70 less a 20% coupon at hobby lobby. I have cut mat with just a mat cutter, ruler and self-healing board it works but having the actual system makes it a lot easier
02-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The physical space and use factors into these decisions. Depending on the layout of the space one digital option might be enough. but if you are using the photos as decorations you might have more wall space.

My attorney is a 2 person shop. They have a waiting area, a receptionist area, 2 offices and a conference room. A digital solution could make sense in the waiting room but might be distracting in the other areas