Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2021, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA*11-18 is a sensational lens, and perfectly suited to wide field astrophotography. It's built like a tank, has top-shelf weather sealing, and the image quality is outstanding.

It will be great on your K-5, but would really shine on a KP, with its flippy screen, high ISO capability, pixel shift, etc....
Well, that should get the GAS juices percolating.

Steve

02-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JMvS Quote
Noticed a Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM (Art) at an interesting price for a bag of prime substitute, if the purchase proceeds well, I hope I won't find it too heavy to use on a regular basis.
Even tough its not as wide as I wish for the Milky Way, the normal range should suit well my casual photography.
The knock on the 18-35 f1.8 is that it has pretty poor auto focus accuracy. This isn’t limited to just Pentax. Even with the usb docking station it isn’t known for being consistent. Some people have had luck but others have tried multiple copies without luck.
02-15-2021, 01:48 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA*11-18 is a sensational lens, and perfectly suited to wide field astrophotography. It's built like a tank, has top-shelf weather sealing, and the image quality is outstanding.

It will be great on your K-5, but would really shine on a KP, with its flippy screen, high ISO capability, pixel shift, etc....
Aye it had caught my eye ever since it was released. But at the time. I could not take advantage of the very nice deals I had found due to finances.

---------- Post added 02-15-21 at 01:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, that should get the GAS juices percolating.

Steve
Well considering the DA*11-18 together with a better camera is gearing the dilemma turbine into overdrive, given that for the lens price alone, and even more so if we add a KP, even the cheapest 2nd hand I did see, I am pretty close to the price of a K-1 or K-1 ii, which would without doubt be even more adapted to starscapes and astrophotography, given that my Irix 15mm f/2.4 would already be wider and faster on FF than the DA*11-18 on APS-C or even on FF.

Even on weight, if we consider astro solely, there wouldn't be any significant gain :
-K-5 iis + O-GPS1 + DA*11-18 : 1560g
-K-1 + Irix 15mm f/2.4 Firefly : 1591g
-KP + O-GPS1 + DA*11-18 : 1503g

The KP even becomes worse if we consider the poorer battery life, and would be the heaviest option if we add in a D-BG7 grip with D-LI90...

---------- Post added 02-15-21 at 02:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The knock on the 18-35 f1.8 is that it has pretty poor auto focus accuracy. This isn’t limited to just Pentax. Even with the usb docking station it isn’t known for being consistent. Some people have had luck but others have tried multiple copies without luck.
According to the seller, it works fine on a K-70, so finger crossed. At worst it won't have an impact on astro use.

Last edited by JMvS; 02-15-2021 at 02:27 AM.
02-15-2021, 04:30 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been fortunate with my copy of the Sigma, no focus problems to speak of. You're correct that the biggest knock against it is unpredictable focus on too my of those lenses. Image-wise it's steller, wonderful for indoor photos in existing light on a K-70 or KP.

02-15-2021, 07:59 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I've been fortunate with my copy of the Sigma, no focus problems to speak of. You're correct that the biggest knock against it is unpredictable focus on too my of those lenses. Image-wise it's steller, wonderful for indoor photos in existing light on a K-70 or KP.
I had wanted that lens pretty badly until the focusing issues came up. I’m glad some people get good results. The lens has an excellent optical reputation.
02-15-2021, 08:07 AM   #21

Original Poster
I had wanted that lens pretty badly until the focusing issues came up. I’m glad some people get good results. The lens has an excellent optical reputation.
Same for me, I was extremely excited at the time it was announced. Even tough I hadn't the budget to consider it for the longest time, it was always on my radar, and I finally pulled the trigger on a very well priced one, after missing another one 2 years ago (I had an upcomin Southern Hemisphere island trip, and in the end settled on the Irix 15mm f/2.4 for that Galactic Core shot).

Hoping to get some nice results for indoor portraits, and the likes of children plays, the kid's hockey match and museum outings.
02-16-2021, 12:49 AM   #22

Original Poster
In the "end", the GAS ended, I hope, with quite the blast :

-Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM (Art) (cheap 2nd hand deal)
-SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR (pittance 2nd hand deal)
-HD Pentax-DA* 11-18mm F2.8 ED DC AW (German amazon deal, would've linked it but I think I got the last one)

I'm sure me and my K-5 iis will be plenty happy with it. Now hoping I won't have a surprise with taxes later this year...

02-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #23

Original Poster
Received the 18-35mm f/1.8 and 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR, got to toy a bit and it seems I'm lucky enough to have a functional AF on the former.

The Sigma really is an awesome (and heavy) lens to hold, extremely nice finish and smooth focusing ring. Would try it more on the nightsky if not for the moon and clouds...