Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2021, 03:44 AM - 11 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
21st Century News Media -- Well Darn They're Persistent!

We've had a huge fire here on Dartmoor last night that's continued into today, but it seems just about under control now. Since I could see the red glow in the sky from the end of my driveway I went out and took a few shots. First I uploaded the best one to the local Tavistock Facebook page since quite a few folks were sharing their grainy mobile snaps there. Then I thought, what the heck, and uploaded it to the BBC. And I have to confess that I was quite pleased with myself when it appeared on their main news website.

So now today I'm stuck fighting off interview requests from TV, radio and whatnot who all want a breathless eyewitness account of the night's terrifying events. Except that it wasn't terrifying. I knew it was miles away from me and the glow was just bouncing off the clouds, so I just had a glass of wine or two and went to bed.

I'll be ignoring Facebook and email for the rest of the day, and I'm just glad that I've shut down all my other social media accounts recently. And my phone is ex-directory, so at least they can't bother me that way. Trust me though, folks, don't upload any slightly newsworthy snaps to the broadcast media if you don't want lots of eager hacks trying to get in touch afterwards.

Here's the photo in question, with the K-S1 and 18-55mm. (The photo might disappear briefly since the hosting site uses human editors to check uploads.)

02-12-2021, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #2

Nice moody shot. Good job switching off from the world for a couple of days. I'm sure they'll lose interest soon.
02-12-2021, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Except that it wasn't terrifying. I knew it was miles away from me and the glow was just bouncing off the clouds, so I just had a glass of wine or two and went to bed.
Excellent shot. Good on you for taking advantage of the opportunity.

If you were to be interviewed and kept only to that statement, you'd be a hit. Media thrives on hype and sensationalism. I have not watched a news broadcast in years, too much noise in the signal, lots of heat but little light.
02-12-2021, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
(The photo might disappear briefly since the hosting site uses human editors to check uploads.)
You were right, it's gone... you don't have a notions of next weeks Lottery Numbers do you?

02-12-2021, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Well done Dave.

I sent a photo I took of a car fire a couple of years back to the local rag.They published it but annoyingly I hadn't requested they attribute it
02-12-2021, 09:14 AM - 8 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I sent a photo I took of a car fire a couple of years back to the local rag.They published it but annoyingly I hadn't requested they attribute it
I'm starting to wish that Auntie Beeb hadn't credited me by name. I've now got one of our local religious fanatics accusing me online of being a satanist because the photo resembles religious iconography of hell. Heck, I'm not even a Wiccan (although I'm friends with one or two). I'm just your everyday pragmatic atheist.
02-12-2021, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

"All Hail Astoroth !"

02-12-2021, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I'm starting to wish that Auntie Beeb hadn't credited me by name. I've now got one of our local religious fanatics accusing me online of being a satanist because the photo resembles religious iconography of hell. Heck, I'm not even a Wiccan (although I'm friends with one or two). I'm just your everyday pragmatic atheist.
Maybe I dodged a bullet!
02-12-2021, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

pragmatic
Surely, that is shown by drinking wine rather than trying to fight the fire
02-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

post deleted.

Last edited by normhead; 02-12-2021 at 01:20 PM.
02-12-2021, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow, that was quick. Yesterday I thought I might make a tentative return to the forum after a period of ill health, and today Norm immediately chimes in with the sort of snide comment that reminds me why I left in the first place. Ah well, I tried to give it another chance. Bye folks.
02-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow, that was quick. Yesterday I thought I might make a tentative return to the forum after a period of ill health, and today Norm immediately chimes in with the sort of snide comment that reminds me why I left in the first place. Ah well, I tried to give it another chance. Bye folks.
If it means anything, I find the photo very good and an excellent show of how a forest fire looks like... This is said as someone who has seen more than enough fires - my home region is plagued by them
02-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Post deleted.

Last edited by normhead; 02-12-2021 at 01:21 PM.
02-12-2021, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Wow, some people are thin skinned.

A personal attack over what I thought was a fairly positive comment.

People with skins as thin as that don't belong on a public forum.

I guess I should have put a smiley on my post.

I define my whole style of shooting as "opportunistic." That's a compliment in my book.

I'm shocked.

Especially since if I was the problem... there's an "ignore" list.

That's the proper response if you are prone to interpreting someone else's comments negatively or in a way they didn't mean them.
That's not going to work on me, Norm. I've seen you do it too many times. You make an attack on someone who you think might be an easy target, and if they snap back you say, "What? Me? Why are you making a personal attack on me in response to my personal attack on you?"

How about if you try not kicking people when you think they're down in the first place?
02-12-2021, 01:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

That's not going to work on me, Norm. I've seen you do it too many times. You make an attack on someone who you think might be an easy target, and if they snap back you say, "What? Me? Why are you making a personal attack on me in response to my personal attack on you?"
Learn to use the ignore function.
Delete your personal attacks or I'll be reporting you.
I'll never respond to one of your posts again, nor help you in any way. You're on my ignore list.
I'll delete this once your personal attacks are gone.
Closed Thread