Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2021, 05:40 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What unwanted surprise have you found in your camera bag?

This thread was brought to you by a strange smell and the discovery of a forgotten bag of dog poo in the side pocket.

Yes I do have a dog otherwise that would be seriously weird.

02-12-2021, 05:41 AM - 6 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

I think the most unwanted surprise I've ever found in my camera bag was an empty space where the lens I thought I'd packed ought to be.

I'll take empty space over dog poo any day.
02-12-2021, 05:42 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
This thread was brought to you by a strange smell and the discovery of a forgotten bag of dog poo in the side pocket.

This gave me a good chuckle at your misfortune (being a dog owner myself I have a rough (ha) idea what that's like).
When we're walking the dogs my fiancé will often walk on ahead if I'm picking up after either one/both of our two. We joke that it looks like I'm randomly picking up dog mess and that I should therein be treated with caution.
02-12-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote

For me finding out that I forgot a battery, filter or lens

02-12-2021, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apart from dust from the camera bag's crumbling handle and a serious level of water that came in but not out (rain cover not properly attached), most unwanted was likely molten chocolate and recently some bee wax with plenty of honey, stuck to my strap. Still need to get some residual honey out of the mode dial ...
02-12-2021, 06:46 AM - 8 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After shooting photos all night for the Sydney Gay and Lesbian mardi gras, the camera bag I had with me had SO MUCH glitter in it by the end of the night. The glitter mostly consisted of tiny microscopic particles that simply cannot be brushed off. Glitter was in every single compartment and to top it off some of the larger glitter pieces (go figure) were phallic shaped (at least those pieces were the least tedious to remove) but they had a habit of falling out of concealed seams in the bag that at times probably would have engendered a lawsuit.

Being Australian, I have found a number of unpleasant outback denizens lurking unbidden in my camera bags over the years. The absolute worst of it was when a red-bellied black snake decided my Domke bag was a ideal place to inhabit while I was away from it shooting birds near a small river. The serpent abandoned its hiding place just as I had returned to the bag - I observed its escape. I find periodically stomping your feet when you are surrounded by tall grass and places likely to be occupied by snakes is a useful habit, snakes generally do not hear too well but they have an acute sense for vibrations.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-12-2021 at 07:15 AM.
02-12-2021, 07:16 AM - 6 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Being Australian, I have found a number of unpleasant outback denizens lurking unbidden in my camera bags over the years. The absolute worst of it was when a red-bellied black snake decided my Domke bag was a ideal place to inhabit while I was away from it shooting birds near a small river. The serpent abandoned its hiding place just as I had returned to the bag - I observed its escape. I find periodically stomping your feet when you are surrounded by tall grass and places likely to be occupied by snakes is a useful habit, snakes generally do not hear too well but they have an acute sense for vibrations.
Sometimes I wonder why settlers didn't give up on Australia - "Nope, it's too much. Everything is out to kill you. All the time. And they're everywhere. Lets just walk away and write "here be monsters" on all the maps so no-one goes back".

( I should add that I've never been, I've just heard stories and seen videos.)

02-12-2021, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The biggest unwanted surprise that I find in my bag is the unwanted mass of all the lenses I've decided I must have for an outing.

(The surprise is compounded by the knowledge that I'll only use a small fraction of the lenses, but the ignorance of not knowing which fraction.)
02-12-2021, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

How do you train the dog to ... no, don't answer that !

When I was married, my gadget bag (as they were then known) tended to accumulate various items of make up that were essential for each trip, but never used. FWIW, lipstick when hot does a creditable impression of sealing wax. If anyone finds a Zodel 2MTL with red splodges on it - say hi from me.
02-12-2021, 07:44 AM   #10
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
After shooting photos all night for the Sydney Gay and Lesbian mardi gras, the camera bag I had with me had SO MUCH glitter in it by the end of the night. The glitter mostly consisted of tiny microscopic particles that simply cannot be brushed off. Glitter was in every single compartment and to top it off some of the larger glitter pieces (go figure) were phallic shaped (at least those pieces were the least tedious to remove) but they had a habit of falling out of concealed seams in the bag that at times probably would have engendered a lawsuit.

I'll take the bag of dog poo over the venomous snake.
02-12-2021, 08:02 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Sometimes I wonder why settlers didn't give up on Australia
Well, speaking for England () we did send people there as a punishment ...

My most unpleasant find was and empty space,like Jonathan - but mine as when I got back from shooting on a dark beach in a place where a £1000 lens should have been. (it had rolled out when I popped the back don to take one last shot, and I hadn't noticed - fortunately a kind soul picked it up and put a notice on a nearby post to ring if you'd lost a lens - I still bless that man)
02-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #12
UMC

My most unpleasant find was - actually not found by me, but by airport security staff. My wife and me went for a trip and decided do use a fairly compact photo bag that had been sitting on the shelf for many years. The airport security discovered a pocket knife inside some kind of "emergency kit" that we had used 10 years before while our kids were young. "Sir, is this your bag? You are not allowed to......"

Well, the knife had no smell, so how could I have discovered it
02-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Apart from dust from the camera bag's crumbling handle and a serious level of water that came in but not out (rain cover not properly attached), most unwanted was likely molten chocolate and recently some bee wax with plenty of honey, stuck to my strap. Still need to get some residual honey out of the mode dial ...
wax paper wrappings around salt water taffy are a cruel deception
02-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I digress
02-12-2021, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
"Sir, is this your bag? You are not allowed to......"
My count is around 3 or 4 - all in photo bags and backpacks. The drug store in our local airport just opposite the security check sells (sold by now?) suitable kits of envelopes + stamps to send them home. My well-guarded explanation of a peg with tripod thread took a little longer ...