Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A New Lens Technology Is Primed to Jump-Start Phone Cameras

QuoteQuote:
A new company called Metalenz, which emerges from stealth mode today, is looking to disrupt smartphone cameras with a single, flat lens system that utilizes a technology called optical metasurfaces. A camera built around this new lens tech can produce an image of the same if not better quality as traditional lenses, collect more light for brighter photos, and can even enable new forms of sensing in phones, all while taking up less space.
QuoteQuote:
The company has formed partnerships with two semiconductor leaders (that can currently produce a million Metalenz "chips" a day), meaning the optics are made in the same foundries that manufacture consumer and industrial devices—an important step in simplifying the supply chain.

02-13-2021, 03:39 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm looking forward to a 600 mm pancake lens.
02-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Weighing in at 2 ounces....

02-14-2021, 01:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Interesting read. Thank you! That sounds like big leap. Ofcourse for consumer cameras, but all in all technology.

02-14-2021, 01:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

We're already beyond that. Smartphones won't need a camera module. With 5G, the phone sends its X,Y,Z position and receive a section of a 360 image from a database, as viewed from that position. Real cameras or 360 degrees cameras are used professionally for recording the world imagery to feed the databases. The average consumer will like it.

---------- Post added 14-02-21 at 09:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Interesting read. Thank you! That sounds like big leap. Ofcourse for consumer cameras, but all in all technology.
Didn't the article say that light can pass through nano apertures without diffraction? Amazing.
02-14-2021, 03:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Smartphones won't need a camera module. With 5G, the phone sends its X,Y,Z position and receive a section of a 360 image from a database, as viewed from that position.
How about a phone camera which downloads a photo that has been taken before at the same place in the same light but simply interpolates the taker's face? This would take care of 99% of tourist selfies.
02-14-2021, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
How about a phone camera which downloads a photo that has been taken before at the same place in the same light but simply interpolates the taker's face? This would take care of 99% of tourist selfies.
We're going there. We have a startup working on this over here. From the demos I've seen , they've done a pretty good job, from pictures posted on the web I couldn't tell if it was fake or real (the pictures were all fake). We don't see small miss-matches at feature edges on computer display, even less on a mobile phone display. Of course, I'd see the fakes immediately on a 24x36" print.

I think, in the future, we will have a bigger gap between ILC cameras and smartphones. Most volume of junk from phones on social media, and less and less of a much higher quality images in prints (from very expensive ILC cameras). Maybe some days, paper prints will be more regarded as art like paintings by the younger generations who were born with a smartphone. These folks born after ~ 2010, are going to rediscover paper prints when they are in their 40s and 50s. We start seeing this trend already for B&W silver prints that used to be mainstream photography, are now regarded as rare art objects. The kind of photos that my grand father would have disposed during room cleaning, are now seen as precious photographs.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-14-2021 at 04:10 AM.
02-14-2021, 04:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Technology look promising. But strangely enough the Metalenz pages do not Shaw any photos taking with that!!. Very early development for sure
02-14-2021, 06:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Weighing in at 2 ounces....

And of course variable aperture starting at F1.0

But seriously it almost seems like they are developing a nano structure variable fresnel lens, if I can make a true optical analogy