Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 09:24 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Earlier I saw SSD mentioned as a backup device. Also above the op was told mechanical is more reliable. I fall into the camp that would suggest mechanical over SSD for backup.

While SSD drives may lack mechanical moving parts they have serious wear issues related to writes. If you write infrequently and read a lot - like the Operating System files on a laptop for example - then it works well. For heavy writes on SSD like the big NAS/SAN enterprise storage guys use you need a more expensive storage memory than what is in most consumer grade SSD which drives up cost. This is why mechanical drives are typically best for backup for consumer applications. Cloud is also excellent.

02-22-2021, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Update

So, I got the external drive.
I chose a 500GB USB3 "mechanical" drive; it's all I could afford for the moment. It is "cheap" and I hope it will be reliable. Couln't go with a Seagate nor a WD ... too much $$$.
"Mechanical because I was told it is "safer" ?

Now, I have all of this as shown on a screen capture and I pointed to the new drive with a red arrow:
Right. Here's what you do:

1. First, you'll see a screen like this, as you already know. On this screen, make sure the drive you want to write the backup to, is unclicked and the drives you want to back up is clicked. Look where I marked in yellow.

When you're happy with those settings, click "Image selected disks on this computer" outlined in red. Don't mind that my drives show red - that's because they're so full. (I need to do a cleanup again) You will likely see all your drive sizes as blue)

2. The software will ask you to "Select Source and image desitnation" The screen should look something like this:

If you're happy with what you see, in the block I marked red, then you click the "next" button that I marked green on this screenshot.

3. Now, the software will give you some options: Whether you want to use a template or not (leave it on "none), and depending on the size of your backup, how many different backups you'd like to keep on this storage device.

Because my backups are so large, I always store only one per backup drive. The options in the blocks I marked red can be changed by you, as you wish. When you're happy, click the "Next " button that I have, again, marked green.

4. Next, the software will confirm what you've asked it to do, on this screen:

If you're happy with your setup, you can click "Finish" which I have marked green on this screenshot.

5. Now, the software will ask you if you'd like to name your backup. You don't have to, you can simply leave it as "My Backup" but I prefer to change it to the model name of the machine I'm backing up so that I can differentiate between different machines backups easily.

6. So, here you can see I have renamed the backup as "HP8760w" and after this, we'll click "OK".

(As always, with computer software, if you don't know what to do, remember to read the screen!)

7. As soon as you click "OK" and assuming there's no problems with your settings, you'll see this screen:

The software will show you how it progresses through the different steps. Now, if you're using the machine while all this goes on, it's fine. It will just do the backup a bit slower. So, to continue working without seeing this screen all the time, you can click on "Hide" which I have marked green again, and it will disappear off your desktop. If, however, you're happy for it to do it's thing while you go to bed and check up again on it in the morning, then simply leave it on the desktop.
If you do hide it, then you can get it back by clicking on the "Show Hidden Icons" button, usually located on the bottom right of your taskbar.

One last thing to remember: Macrium should keep your computer "awake", but if it does not, and your computer is set in your power settings to turn off or go to sleep after a certain amount of time, then your backup may pause or, worse case scenario, fail. It pays to set your sleep / power off settings to keep the machine awake while doing backups.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-22-2021 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typos
02-22-2021, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mark:

Great thanks for the very detailed scenario, much appreciated.
Looks complicated but I will give it a go tomorrow ... we're on a much different time zone, you and I !
Back with a follow up then.

Cheers!

JP
02-22-2021, 09:57 PM   #34

I bought one of these and a couple 500GB SSD drives.

amazon.com: ADATA ED600 External 2.5?tag=pentaxforums-20&" Hard Drive and Solid State Drive Enclosure: Computers & Accessories

02-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I finally got to accomplish a backup with Macrium Reflect 7.
I ended up with a 47.5 GB backup that took 16 minutes at a rate of between 275 to 820 Mb/s; funny this varied back and forth between the low and high rates.
Here are some screen captures of the final results:
Attached Images

02-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to see you got it sorted. Now, remember to do it regularly and to store your backups in a safe environment away from your computer.
02-24-2021, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Great to see you got it sorted. Now, remember to do it regularly and to store your backups in a safe environment away from your computer.
Indeed I will.
And again, great thanks to you for the help.

Many thanks to all of you who participated in this thread.

Cheers!

02-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #38

Don't forget to make a rescue disk. If you have a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray burner you can make a bootable disk. Otherwise you can make a bootable flash drive. I don't remember the minimum size drive you need but you can still use the drive for storage after you make it. The creation process will likely wipe the driver first.
02-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Don't forget to make a rescue disk. If you have a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray burner you can make a bootable disk. Otherwise you can make a bootable flash drive. I don't remember the minimum size drive you need but you can still use the drive for storage after you make it. The creation process will likely wipe the driver first.
What's the best way to do that? Use Win 10 directly?
02-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #40

Follow the tutorial
Creating rescue media - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
02-26-2021, 02:34 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I went through that via Macrium Reflect 7 installed on the laptop.
Here's what I got so far from "Create bootable Rescue Media" , using a 64GB Sandisk USB 3.0 :
It is now (presently) "building" a WIM ....etc ... Done now ! Yeah !!!

And, I see two clickable "options" at the bottom
for USB Rescue Media Options ... did I need to click on those?

Thanks!!
Attached Images

Last edited by jpzk; 02-26-2021 at 02:51 PM.