Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benro Polaris Remote Controlled Tripod Head - Wifi / Cellular and Some Camera Control

Hey Folks,

Just wondering if there are any backers of the Benro Polaris Kickstarter project on here?

I'm a bit excited about it, but not sure how well it will work out. If any of you are interested, it would be great if you could post a comment on their Kickstarter page to request Pentax support for the camera control part.
There are a handful of us on there already, but the more the merrier

Link Here

Full disclosure: I'm a backer of the Kickstarter project, and hoping they'll get the mount to work as a GoTo mount, using platesolving over Wifi, for medium length, medium field astro shooting, from the warmth of my living room .
I don't think they'll manage long exposure, deep sky objects, but who knows....

I love a gadget anyway, so let's see what happens !

Ian.

02-19-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which Pentax are you asking for control support on? There are a lot already listed and all of those offer everything except liveview. Notably absent on the list: K1/K1ii, and KP.
02-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks very promising and has some really neat features like star tracking (your go-to idea should certainly be included), and auto-panoramas. WIll look forward to future announcements and pricing.
02-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting, ... but not for me without K1 compatibility.

02-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Iím really looking for the live view on the K1ii, as I donít think some of the best features will work without it .

Also worth noting that they are taking account of feedback . Impressed to see them announce this today regarding Astro use :

Hi everyone!

A few confirmed updates of Polaris:

1. Capture Panoramas While Tracking Stars.

We decided to add a star tracking function to Polaris's panoramic shooting mode after hearing your suggestions. We think itís a great idea!

Please note that while our algorithm will try - you may need to manually stitch photos later in the post. Due to the similarity of stars our algorithm may not be able to complete stitching when shooting a dark starry sky.

2. We will allow Polaris to Connect to Existing Network.

3. Weíre super excited about this one. Hereís the good news: We got in touch with Panasonic staff and got strong support from them. Polaris will add support for the Panasonic GH5, GH5S, G9, BGH1, S1, S1H, S1R, and S5 camera models to the compatibility list.

If you arenít a Panasonic user and your camera model is not on our camera list, we are also working hard to make Polaris compatible with more cameras in the future.

4. After additional prototype testing and verification - that we have decided to increase the tracking accuracy of Polaris by four. This increases the initial design accuracy of 0.01 į (36 arcsec) to 0.0025 į (9 arcsec). This is achieved by increasing the deceleration ratio of the transmission structure. Thank you very much to everyone who gave us practical suggestions to help make Polaris more perfect.

In addition, Polaris has added a new shooting mode. Now that the accuracy of Polaris has been improved, we hope to also make Polaris more powerful.

5. To do this - we have added a visual correction function to Polaris. When you use Polaris for long exposure deep-sky shooting, Polaris will take a set of photos, each of which is a long exposure. After each photo is taken, Polaris will recognize the precise position of each star in the frame and correct for the movement/direction of the camera. This helps to avoid shooting for tens of minutes or having to continually reset positioning and restarting shots for hours. After the shooting is complete - Polaris will align and stack the photos captured to create an ultra-long exposure photo.

Hope you enjoyed todayís update. Have a great weekend!

- Benro Polaris Team

---------- Post added 02-20-21 at 03:41 PM ----------

---------- Post added 02-20-21 at 03:49 PM ----------

This is why I think itís worth pushing them and requesting Pentax liveview compatibility If the market is there and itís technically possible , why wouldnít they ?

Last edited by Ian.morgan; 02-20-2021 at 02:48 PM.