Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2021, 09:47 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
You may be interested in XT3 or XH1 both have the 3.69(I have them) and are a lot cheeper than the T4.T4 has better Ibis than H1 and is a generation more advanced.The T4 has a better battery,flippy screen and Ibis over the T3.H1 is similar in size to a K3 but a touch lighter, its got the sweetest shutter action of any camera which is a big reason the owners love it.
The shutter action is the kind of thing that appeals to me. With my K-3 II, I miss my old K-5 II's silky shutter. I also have a wee bit of interest in some wildlife video recording.

But then I think of this 'round and 'round and come to the conclusion to just be happy with what I've already got

02-18-2021, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I used the Canon R5 as the closest to the K-1II. I'm not sure that is right camera to compare
Its not...apples to not even an orange.2013 sensor versus 2020.

2020 processor versus 2018 accelerator and an older processor.

Theres a huge gap in all round capability.Then theres the modern RF glass.

The Nikon D810 is the closest comparison.
02-18-2021, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Switching costs much less, for two reasons:
- old cameras and lenses have a value in used market, can be sold to fund the new system
- we don't need so many lenses to take pictures. Having so many lenses with the old system usually came from LBA, wrong choices or our undefined scope of photography. In reality it is possible to do everything with 3 lenses or less, and some photographers who specialize are able to take outstanding photographs using only one lens.
02-18-2021, 10:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
some photographers who specialize are able to take outstanding photographs using only one lens.
This is true.A friend who shoots Canon used an original 5D for 13 years as a professional with 4 lenses.She has done 1500 weddings(some were with film).

A few years ago she decided not to do weddings but offered a service as a back up to the main shooter.She sold all her lenses bar the 24-70.

When the 5D stopped working and couldn't be repaired she bought a 6D(even though the Mk2 was available).

02-18-2021, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Switching costs much less, for two reasons:
- old cameras and lenses have a value in used market, can be sold to fund the new system
- we don't need so many lenses to take pictures. Having so many lenses with the old system usually came from LBA, wrong choices or our undefined scope of photography. In reality it is possible to do everything with 3 lenses or less, and some photographers who specialize are able to take outstanding photographs using only one lens.
For me it would be 5 lenses:

1. UWA
2. Walk-around zoom
3. Fast-ish 50mm
4. ~100mm Macro
5. Long telephoto (+ teleconverter)
02-18-2021, 10:09 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I also have a wee bit of interest in some wildlife video recording.
The XH1 does pretty good,it has enough stabilisation and has the Eterna film sim SOC.The new 70-300mm will be compatible with the 1.4 and 2x TCs.
02-19-2021, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
For me it would be 5 lenses:1. UWA2. Walk-around zoom3. Fast-ish 50mm4. ~100mm Macro5. Long telephoto (+ teleconverter)
Looks like the case of no specialization like it was my case until now, but I realized that for me the do-it-all isn't cost effective, because I never use more than one lens at a time, the more lenses I own the less I use them, and the more general shooting the less anything stands out. I noticed that a lot of photographs that stand out are from people who focus in one area and become very good at it. I reduced my lenses from ~15 to 8, and my goal is to go down to two lenses: 1 wide prime for architecture and scenery, and 1 short tele to narrow shots and people. In theory, based on FoV I only need 3 focal length: wide, normal and tele, anything more than that involves some loss of cost effectiveness.

---------- Post added 19-02-21 at 08:15 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
This is true.A friend who shoots Canon used an original 5D for 13 years as a professional with 4 lenses.She has done 1500 weddings(some were with film).A few years ago she decided not to do weddings but offered a service as a back up to the main shooter.She sold all her lenses bar the 24-70.When the 5D stopped working and couldn't be repaired she bought a 6D(even though the Mk2 was available).
One of my old friend used a Canon 5DII and two lenses 24-105 L and 100-400 L, he did everything with that kit: archi, weddings, city-scapes, reportage, treks, safaris, birding.

02-19-2021, 03:13 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live in bargain basement world but have still managed to acquire a KP, K3, five limited primes and four decent but not legendary lenses. If I were to stick with apsc and switch to Fuji I would probably get a used X-T3 and about half as many lenses of a similar quality. If I fancied FF, I wouldn't get much. I am probably working on about £2.5k. I don't know if the other brands have a "set" like the DA limiteds (ultra wide, wide, standard macro, standard, portrait) but I am pretty sure they would be dearer than £250 <> other than that, lens prices are similar. The Limiteds are absolute bargains! Its a fun excersize that I would think about if all my stuff got nicked, but switching? My limiteds blow me away and my silver KP is a cool camera and I would miss them terribly so .....nah
02-19-2021, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Pentax K-1 ii; Pentax 15-30; Pentax 24-70; Pentax * 70-200; comes to about $6,022 right now B&H prices new.

Sony a7R ii (a 42MP 2015 camera); Tamron 17-28 2.8; Tamron 28-75 2.8; Sony GM 70-200 2.8; comes to about $5,800 right now B&H prices new.

Another comparison, for what it's worth (very little).

Fascinating. As someone who's never used a pro-grade EVF I'm very curious to hear about people's user experiences.
The thing I would struggle with in your comparison is the 15 versus 17mm range and the 24 versus 28mm range. I am very much a wider shooter and appreciate having lenses that go wider, even if they don't quite as long. (Apparently Tamron doesn't make their 24-70 or 15-30 in the e mount but I guess you could port them over from another mount with an adapter).
02-19-2021, 04:04 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I considered switching to Olympus when it was still afloat and now was browsing various stuff and come to what @biz-engineer said - I could live with lot less lenses then I already have. I think 35mm equivalent for walk around and zoom with 400-500mm equivalent on the long end for airshows and some train spotting. It would be pretty interesing to me if I were to switch, cause Oly OM-D E-M5 Mk III two lenses (75-300 + 25mm) would cost me circa 9000 PLN. It is more or less same price as expected price of K-3 Mk III. If I sell my current lenses I thin I could get back around 4-5k PLN cutting price in half.

Switching to Nikon Z6 is not as interesting as the body has same cost as what is expected for K-3/3 and I would just switch lenses.
02-19-2021, 04:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I can't say that I have not been looking other options too. The main question would be that if I'd make the switch completelly, of lets say get some things I feel is missing right now and get those to compliment my set rather than swap it. Like Biz said about perhaps just one or 2 lenses. I'll top that and let's get something more exotic, like for example GFX 100s and one prime. We are (window)shopping, right.
02-19-2021, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

I used to do these comparisons before and now that I know what I like and having come to appreciate the Pentax philosophy of design both for lenses and for bodies, I just have no desire to switch. Even if Pentax stopped production, I'd still happily shoot Pentax for at least another 10 years or until it became hard to get working bodies...

Not that the grass isn't green on the other side, every manufacturer has good cameras and good lenses - as does Pentax. It's just different shades of green, seen through different types of viewfinders and different kinds of glass... and it'll cost you different amounts of money to see that green...
02-19-2021, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another option when switching - even as a mental exercise - is to consider what you can reuse. Sony will soon have a third party adapter to use Pentax autofocus lenses with automation (focus and aperture control, full metering and focusing mode support) while I’m sure there will be quirks - it does give interesting possibilities.

If I were starting from scratch and wanted to build a new kit I’m totally unclear how I’d go. M43? Sony? Nikon F or Nikon Z? Fuji? Full frame? APSC? Medium Format? In the end I’d shoot whatever I ended up with. I’m sure that just about any system could give me enjoyment and images worth making.
02-19-2021, 07:53 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Closed Account

I've been quite careful and patient over my purchases so even if I had to replace the gear I had it would probably cost me more. Moving to a new system would involve another learning curve about cameras and lenses on the 2nd hand market, I don't relish that.

Having decided APS-C is fine for my needs I think Fuji is the only other camera maker which intrigues me. I looked at Sony when I was thinking of full frame but i didn't find their camera controls particularly intuitive and I spent a good few hours watching Sony ambassadors online.

So while it's interesting to think about sometimes, I sincerely hope no one nicks my gear or worse I accidentally drop it over a cliff (goes off to check house insurance and dropping cameras over cliff coverage).
02-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will continue to use OVF cameras until they stop making them, or I can no longer see. I'll be buying a K-3 III when it is available. But I think I will be replacing my K-3 with an older Fuji like the X-T20. I have so many manual lenses in multiple mounts that are just easier to adapt to mirrorless. Plus most of the Fuji are smaller and lighter than a K-3, except the X-H1...