Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2021, 01:36 PM - 15 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Multiple dents in SMC-A 24-50/4 filter thread repaired

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I bought an “experienced” SMC-A 24-50mm f4 on ebay for $42 total, delivered to me.The lens had multiple deep dents in its front filter ring, bad enough that even a lens cap wouldn’t mount. Optically, it has the fine dust inside typical of a much used 1980’s lens, but no fungus, oil or mechanical issues.

My filter ring repair spanner has been used to massage some fairly significant dents out filter rings, but never several spread across the threads. Surprisingly, in less than half an hour of work, I was able to carefully, fully mount and remove filters and lens hoods. This one repair is worth the price of the tool.

The trick is, put the tool threads on the side opposite the damage deep, as close to bottoming out as possible. Put the tool threads high, at near the top of the damage then slowly turn the screw to add pressure. Work the tool further down as the threads resume shape. Keep repeating for each dented area. When it looks good, loosen the tool enough to screw it into the threads lightly, then screw then lens in and out slowly feeling for binding. Tight areas need a bit more massaging with the tool. Check your work with a good quality, metal ring filter or lens hood.

*** I have since done some limited test shots with this lens and the results are very good. No lasting effects other than cosmetic.****

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad (7th generation)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by steamloco76; 02-22-2021 at 02:42 PM.
02-20-2021, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am impressed! Good work!

Steve
02-20-2021, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

bravo- saved another lens!!!
02-20-2021, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
filter thread repaired
That's a mighty impressive result from the before to the after... well done indeed.

02-20-2021, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very impressive work.

I have a 40mm pancake lens with the same problem, dents in the filter ring, maybe i also have to get that tool.
02-20-2021, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well done!

I wonder what was mounted on there before.

It’s pretty clear they cranked something on there hard.

-Eric
02-20-2021, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was expecting a thread on "how can I fix my poor lens". Wow, was I surprised. That lens looks like it dropped off the back of a truck and bounced down the road 30mph.

And now it looks remarkably good. Thanks for posting this.

Do you have a source for that tool? I'm not in need at the moment but you never know..............

02-20-2021, 04:54 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I was expecting a thread on "how can I fix my poor lens". Wow, was I surprised. That lens looks like it dropped off the back of a truck and bounced down the road 30mph.

And now it looks remarkably good. Thanks for posting this.

Do you have a source for that tool? I'm not in need at the moment but you never know..............
Amazon. $30. I saved a really badly mangled Vivitar 28/2.0 Close Focusing with this tool. The threads had a slight crack, so I took the glass out of a filter, put blue Loctite on the threads and put the filter ring on. New, clean threads and protection for the crack at the thread edge of the lens.

---------- Post added 02-20-21 at 06:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Well done!

I wonder what was mounted on there before.

It’s pretty clear they cranked something on there hard.

-Eric
I’m betting nothing was mounted. The guy said it was his favorite lens on hikes, looks like he smacked it off trees, rocks, car doors and a few other things.
Attached Images

02-20-2021, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

GREAT job! Love it!
Bravo!
Thanks for sharing.
02-20-2021, 06:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

sweet! great job
02-20-2021, 06:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done, I impressed that the lens had not suffered internal damage after being abused that bad. I've not seen a Pentax lens with that many dents, usually they are Mamiya Sekors, which seem hard to find without dents.
02-20-2021, 09:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very impressive indeed. Sure hoping I don't have need for that special tool!
02-21-2021, 05:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Amazon. $30. I saved a really badly mangled Vivitar 28/2.0 Close Focusing with this tool. The threads had a slight crack, so I took the glass out of a filter, put blue Loctite on the threads and put the filter ring on. New, clean threads and protection for the crack at the thread edge of the lens.

Nice work! Here is the link for Amazon Canada!

I’m betting nothing was mounted. The guy said it was his favorite lens on hikes, looks like he smacked it off trees, rocks, car doors and a few other things.
Neewer Camera Lens Vise Repair Tool for Lens and Filter, Ring Adjustment Range 27mm to 130mm, Steel Construction: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen
02-21-2021, 05:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Nice work! Here is the link for Amazon Canada!

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NJS1RML/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_RDVJQ1DJQPMJC1RYZSC3
02-21-2021, 06:11 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The tool is quite well made and can be used to remove stuck filters too. Mine has certainly paid for itself a few times over.