Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2021, 05:19 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a more general question, does this mean that National Geographic no longer wants photos from anything other than a phone?

It seems to be a symbolic shift away from quality photography, which at one time was their main selling point

02-26-2021, 07:16 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
As a more general question, does this mean that National Geographic no longer wants photos from anything other than a phone?

It seems to be a symbolic shift away from quality photography, which at one time was their main selling point
I would appear that way (for now) but if you take a look at the pictures posted at Nat Geo "Yourshot" via Instagram .... you wonder how some extraordinary pictures show up so well when posted from a phone???
02-26-2021, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by moggi1964 Quote
Right click again and choose Refresh
This right here, after you have changed your user agent to a phone, makes some symbols appear at the bottom of the page, the + sign to add a post among others.
You can post the image as square or I think 5:4 landscape aspect ratio, but it will show up cropped in your feed to fit into the given 3 x n grid. I'm a little concerned about my pictures not showing up in the added hashtag searches when uploading from the pc, but that may have had other reasons. Sometimes it does not, but most of the time it does show up.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I would appear that way (for now) but if you take a look at the pictures posted at Nat Geo "Yourshot" via Instagram .... you wonder how some extraordinary pictures show up so well when posted from a phone???
That's one thing I fail to grasp about Instagram: how on earth it could become the place to be for serious photographers, because of the postage stamp size of the pictures and the hassle the platform makes people go through to share their pictures. On the one hand it removes the pixel peeping aspect and makes you focus more on composition (and candy colours seem to do well, so crank up your saturation sliders), on the other hand, while I usually post the whole (or most of) the original frame to flickr, I crop in to fill the frame more often than not on Instagram.

One thing I haven't figured out to do on the desktop pc yet that seems to work in the app: is there a way to include multiple pictures in a single post (without using the app or third party software)?
02-26-2021, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by moggi1964 Quote
I can tell you how I post images from Microsoft Edge on my computer.

I open my Instagram account in a tab and then I right click and choose Inspect.

That splits the page in half vertically and lots of text appears on the right. At the top of that text you will see little headers titled Elements and Console and Sources. To the left of Elements you can see an icon that has a smaller rectangle sitting on a larger rectangle. I double left click on that icon and you will see the Instagram page on the left change slightly.

Move you cursor over to the Instagram page and you will see it becomes a grey ball. Right click again and choose Refresh and the icons at the bottom will change to those that you find on the mobile app. Click on the + icon in the middle and you can add an image.

Hope this helps.
I will give it a go, thanks!

Edit : It worked !!! Amazingly!
Now, that means that the picture(s) has(have) to be posted directly from the computer and NOT from Flickr (because Flickr does not have the Instagram icon for sharing much like Facebook, etc ... do.)

Last edited by jpzk; 02-26-2021 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added info