Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nat Geo Your Shot was moved to Instagram an now I need help

I always said "No way I'm going to join Instagram" !!! ....
but I was asked by "some family members" to join Instagram for sharing pictures via the "new" Nat Geo Your Shot which is now on Instagram.

I could "relatively easily" join Instagram but I have no idea how to post (a) picture(s) on that site:
Login ? Instagram
or here:
Login ? Instagram

For the life of me, can someone guide me through this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by jpzk; 02-25-2021 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added info
02-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you have a flickr account, it's easy to post directly to instagram from there.
02-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
If you have a flickr account, it's easy to post directly to instagram from there.
I do !
How does that work?
When I click (on Flickr) on the "share" icon, it gives me choices but I don't see the Instagram icon there ... what does it look like?
And, I went through the all of the settings and Instagram is just not there at all.

Last edited by jpzk; 02-25-2021 at 04:43 PM.
02-25-2021, 05:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I always do it from the flickr app on my phone to the instagram app. I don't think you can do it via desktop, but I'm not sure.

02-25-2021, 05:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I always do it from the flickr app on my phone to the instagram app. I don't think you can do it via desktop, but I'm not sure.
Got that. Thanks.
I don't use the phone app with Flickr so I will have to wait to get some answers that I sent for at Flickr moments ago.
Supposedly, this icon for Instagram has been there is the recent past but it isn't showing anymore ! ???
02-25-2021, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can upload to Instagram on a computer, there are ways. I am using a Mac, I have to go into theSafari Browser/Develop/User Agent/and select iphone . . You actually have to trick the app into thinking you are using a phone to upload, because their computer web interface doesn't have an upload method. How goofy is that?
02-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are correct, I've looked for that for a long time, but it is not available. I would prefer to upload them from my computer anyway, that way I can format them for instagram, and I don't necessarily post the same images there anyway.

02-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Instagram is designed around your phone/tablet, Jpzk!
02-25-2021, 05:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

For the life of me, can someone guide me through this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
By the way, Instagram is 1080 x 1080 px, so anything I upload there is square cropped and exported at 1080x1080, 72 ppi, that way they should not be re-sized.
02-25-2021, 06:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, so this Instagram is made for phone/tablet ... got that.
So, how do you post a picture from your phone (android) to Instagram and that picture in in Flickr?

Then again, as mentioned earlier, Flickr "used to have" an Instagram icon in the "share" section of a picture but it isn't there anymore. there has been discussions about this at Flickr and I have also posted some questions ... waiting for answers.

If that doesn't work ... I'll just cancel that Instagram thing and and carry on business as usual.

---------- Post added 02-25-21 at 09:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You can upload to Instagram on a computer, there are ways. I am using a Mac, I have to go into theSafari Browser/Develop/User Agent/and select iphone . . You actually have to trick the app into thinking you are using a phone to upload, because their computer web interface doesn't have an upload method. How goofy is that?
On Chrome, it is possible as I read some solutions:
Go to Instagram.com
Go (in Chrome) ... (Developers Tools .. then click on mobile icon) but I get stuck when it says to find the Instagrams icons at the bottom of the page ... they're not there !
It actually makes Chrome believe there is a mobile device; then again ... but no luck at finding the icons for Instagram as they say "at the bottom of the page".

Anyway, that was a good (fruitless) exercise.

Last edited by jpzk; 02-25-2021 at 07:07 PM.
02-25-2021, 07:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I use a mac and infrequently post to instagram. I use the plugin Desktopify in Chrome.

The image must be square or near-square though (the plugin gives you some wiggle room). The images are also a set (small) size, so quality is very limited. I find it a frustrating medium for photography.
02-25-2021, 09:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

There are ways to post to Insta from your computer but you need to have an Insta account that's connected to a Facebook page account.

The easiest way is via your phone. The Flick - Insta share seems popular here.
02-25-2021, 11:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, how do you post a picture from your phone (android) to Instagram and that picture in in Flickr?

Then again, as mentioned earlier, Flickr "used to have" an Instagram icon in the "share" section of a picture but it isn't there anymore. there has been discussions about this at Flickr and I have also posted some questions ... waiting for answers.

If that doesn't work ... I'll just cancel that Instagram thing and and carry on business as usual.

Go to Instagram.com
Go (in Chrome) ... (Developers Tools .. then click on mobile icon) but I get stuck when it says to find the Instagrams icons at the bottom of the page ... they're not there !
It actually makes Chrome believe there is a mobile device; then again ... but no luck at finding the icons for Instagram as they say "at the bottom of the page".

It might but just not on the screen since the format is for a phone, if you haven't already, go to that page and hit "control -" (minus sign) to see if it reduces the image to fit within your display.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 02-26-2021 at 10:31 AM.
02-26-2021, 12:30 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Go to Instagram.com

How to post a photo:
I just check at Chrome's developer option > Phone view using Windows 10 PC and IG can detect that I am not coming from a real phone so there is no option to post a photo which you might have the same problem. The best way to post a photo on IG is using phone. It built for phone.
To post a photo using phone + latest version of IG
1. install IG app on your phone.
2. login and you should be sent to "Home" page of your IG. You can confirm this by look at the lower part of the page and make sure the "Home" Icon (first on the bottom left) is in black or highlighted.
3. from Home page, look up to the top right hand you will see an icon looks similar to [+] It should be the 3rd one from the right. Tab on it.
4. it will send you to "New Post" page.
Now look at the middle lower left of the screen, (if you use Android) you will see the word "Gallery" with upside-down arrow next to it. Tab on it to find where did you save the photo on the phone. Select the photo you want to post and move on to the next step. By the way, "Gallery" is a directory name that Android uses for saving photo. I always have a directory name "Pentax" on my phone and dump all Pentax photo I want to post on IG in there.
*4.1. if you don't want to post a square image, this is important. Look on the middle left of the screen or I should say lower left of the preview photo, you will see what looks like a broken square Icon on a gray cycle background, tap on that and it will go out of 1:1 ratio mode.
IG let you post up to 4:5 ratio and I do it all the time.
5. Next, Look up to the top right hand and you will see a blue arrow point to the right, tab on that and it will send you to photo editing page. You can do more than add a filter, if you don't want to edit your image on IG, move to next step.
6.Next, Look up to the top right hand and tap on the same blue arrow. This time it will send you to a page where you can add some message, add tag, add location and many more.
7. when you done with all the typing and ready to post, look up the top right corner, and you will see a blue "Check mark" icon. Tab on that and it will post your photo.

Hope that's help.

Note: on step 4, the greedy Facebook add a lot of feature that they steal the ideas from another app which let you post video story, video reel which I have no idea what the difference, you can also post live video. Those copy-cat features are in the black bar bottom right hand. If you just want to post a photo, make sure it highlight "Post". Post will post still photo and it is a default option.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 02-27-2021 at 04:59 PM.
02-26-2021, 03:56 AM   #15

I can tell you how I post images from Microsoft Edge on my computer.

I open my Instagram account in a tab and then I right click and choose Inspect.

That splits the page in half vertically and lots of text appears on the right. At the top of that text you will see little headers titled Elements and Console and Sources. To the left of Elements you can see an icon that has a smaller rectangle sitting on a larger rectangle. I double left click on that icon and you will see the Instagram page on the left change slightly.

Move you cursor over to the Instagram page and you will see it becomes a grey ball. Right click again and choose Refresh and the icons at the bottom will change to those that you find on the mobile app. Click on the + icon in the middle and you can add an image.

Hope this helps.