Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Or are you one of them that always like to sit at the front row at the cinema?
Guilty as charged! In Baltimore, there's a wonderful movie house (now with 6 screens, but it used to be just the one) in which the main theater has the longest distance I've ever seen in any movie theater. Yup, front and center if possible.

02-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
This must be the gold standard. If you can't stand straight inside the viewfinder, it is too small.
Is that the original 'Wild Vest' Kodak ?
02-27-2021, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Hmmm, I've never used (been spoilt by) an 8x10 so I can't comment.
You have to cover your head with a light proof cloth. It's a real fashion statement.
02-27-2021, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

The .80x in my Z5 is noticeably larger than the .7x in my D750 (same as the upcoming K-3 iii and current k-1) which is larger than the K-3 .64? Viewfinder. The .1 makes a pretty big difference. The Z EVFs are pretty nice to look through. I imagine the A1 .9 viewfinder is very nice and it has a fast refresh rate. If you dislike EVF the .7 on the k-3 iii will be like looking through most of the similar priced ff DSLRs which is a improvement for apsc. Looks like it’s rival the d500 is slightly smaller at .67.

02-28-2021, 12:16 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The gold standard for viewing would be an 8x10 view camera, or possibly my K-3 with the flu card used as a display.
Basically, live view on the K3 (or any camera) shows relative distances as projected by the lens, like a view camera does. It's the viewfinders that makes the image relative distances appear different to the eye than it'll appear in the photo after it's taken.
02-28-2021, 05:04 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
The .1 makes a pretty big difference.
Thanks for the real world POV. Reviewers seem to skip this bit (actually, I can't say I've seen that many of them) as if they don't really spend anytime using them. Perhaps reviewer are too besotted with the specs, for a user experience longer term this stuff matters more than some obscure spec value or function that might get used as a tryout and then forgotten.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You have to cover your head with a light proof cloth. It's a real fashion statement.
That gave me a chuckle it's portable, but not as we know it. It's a reminder of how many variables there are in making a handy camera with great image quality and pleasant user experience.
02-28-2021, 07:10 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
That gave me a chuckle it's portable, but not as we know it. It's a reminder of how many variables there are in making a handy camera with great image quality and pleasant user experience.
Those light cloths are especially nice when it's in the mid '90's F and dew points over 70 F. Good livin', especially since you are under it for longer periods. I always found focusing on a ground glass to be a pain in the name your body part. Though I did have a really cool attachment for my Luna Pro S that was a flexible fiber optic "probe" that allowed you to spot measure off the ground glass, so making Zone System measurements very nice. But I always found the focusing "fuzzy".

Loved that Luna Pro S. Part of a trade in for my Z, since I had a Starlight II, which is harder to use. Kinda wish I still had the S....

03-01-2021, 07:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Thanks for the real world POV. Reviewers seem to skip this bit (actually, I can't say I've seen that many of them) as if they don't really spend anytime using them. Perhaps reviewer are too besotted with the specs, for a user experience longer term this stuff matters more than some obscure spec value or function that might get used as a tryout and then forgotten.

Yeah they don’t seem to have a way to show the size difference of all these various viewfinders. Also I’ve noticed some have the viewfinder more flush with the rear LCD and your nose touches it which is annoying Others the hood/viewfinder is pushed back a bit which prevents that.

A .5 or .1 doesn’t seem like much on paper but it is using the viewfinder.

The new K-3 iii will feel like using a full frame viewfinder for the most part, in the same price range which will be much better than other APS-C viewfinders of the past.