Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
Like many Pentaxians, I have accumulated more gear than I have time to use. The unused and rarely used lenses live in dry boxes at 35% average humidity. What is the smart thing to do to make sure they remain in great condition? Can they just sit there for years and be fine? Should I take them out from time to time and expose them to sunlight just in case? Fungus is a concern of course but also things like SDM - I am told to exercise the 300/4 from time to time otherwise the SDM may not work when I need it. All input will be greatly appreciated.
Why not just take them out periodically and use them? Or is that too much trouble? If you are not going to use them, sell them. They are few things more pathetic than children dealing with their parents stuff.

03-05-2021, 08:58 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
bagging the lenses in sealed (zip-lip) poly will prevent long-term storage dust issues
I hope I don't need to use zip-lock bags since the dry boxes are pretty much dust free.

---------- Post added 03-05-21 at 22:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Benedict Michael Quote
Why not just take them out periodically and use them? Or is that too much trouble? If you are not going to use them, sell them. They are few things more pathetic than children dealing with their parents stuff.
I can't sell them, I love them too much
03-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
[quote=akptc;5225875]I hope I don't need to use zip-lock bags since the dry boxes are pretty much dust free.

---------- Post added 03-05-21 at 22:02 ----------

Anything which is airtight will block dust entry so depending on your dry boxes, you should be fine.
03-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Anything which is airtight will block dust entry so depending on your dry boxes, you should be fine.
Is there any chance to block moisture but not dust? I don't have any experience with dry boxes ...

03-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A "dry box" can mean two different things. Either an active dehumidifier such as : amazon.com: Eirmai Digitally Controlled Dehumidifying Dry Cabinet Box 75 Liters?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Or just a sealed box like: amazon.com: Pelican 1120 Case With Foam (Orange): Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
The active type will dry out wet gear. The Pelican case type will keep things dry if they went in dry. But also keep things wet if they go in wet. Putting wet gear in a simple non-active dry box is a sure way to develop fungus unless you also put desiccant packets of some type in. If you often shoot in the wet an active "dry box" set at a humidity level below 50% will dry out your gear and is well worth the money. You can buy one or build one DIY for not much money.