Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This is sooo silly.
"People want these features, ...
"People are saying" really is not a good argument form from many different aspects when talking about specific issues. How many people are saying specifically what and what specifically will they do with their cash for Pentax specifically based upon what they are saying are rather more important

Last edited by jgnfld; 03-09-2021 at 02:48 PM.
03-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
Is there a future for DSLR
Of course, theres always a small future for old tech....Some people just prefer it.All good to them.

The interesting Q is how much more development will happen?Where will Dslr go?

97% is in question!....3% is safe as houses(unless theres an earthquake, virus or fire!).

Last edited by surfar; 03-09-2021 at 03:23 PM.
03-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Of course, theres always a small future for old tech....Some people just prefer it.All good to them.

We'll have to consider that, at such point in time when there stops being advancements in DSLRs and they don't all incorporate new tech.
03-09-2021, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Of course, theres always a small future for old tech....Some people just prefer it.All good to them..
It is not old tech. It is new(er) tech. There's no such thing as mirrorless tech. Mirrorless cameras are basically P&S cameras someone decided to make a lens mount on instead of a fixed lens. SLR's are more complex products that involve more tech.
It is worth noting that there are only three SLR manufacturer, but numerous of P&S manufacturers out there. The mirrorless manufacturers are manufacturers that didn't succeed in SLR market (until Nikon and Canon wanted a slice of the market), or simply didn't bother due to lack of expertise. Fuji, Olympus, and even Sony (who had to buy the camera division of Konica/Minolta to get SLR tech) are all failed SLR manufacturers. Panasonic never had the necessary tech. This should illustrate whats most tech intensive.
Mirrorless offer an oportunity for companies with less or no SLR tech to make cameras with interchangeable lenses.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 03-09-2021 at 03:52 PM.
03-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #80
Pentaxian

at such point in time when there stops being advancements in DSLRs
While there is still a demand for DSLRs there will be advancements, they will be play catch up and include the features developed in M/L.
03-09-2021, 06:06 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
SLR's are more complex products that involve more tech
The cynic in me remembers that overengineering is one of the most common causes of death in product design.

That said, I ain't getting anywhere near an EVF in the foreseeable future, so yay for complex mirror assemblies .

In any case, I don't think it's fair to say that MILC brands are "failed SLR makers" (I guess Olympus, technically?). And SLR makers are failed rangefinder makers, after all .
03-09-2021, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
While there is still a demand for DSLRs there will be advancements, they will be play catch up and include the features developed in M/L.
Catchup... now that's funny.
You're hilarious.

---------- Post added 03-09-21 at 09:32 PM ----------

The funny thing, is how bad Sony failed with DSLRs before they gave up and went mirrorless, with their tails between their legs.
The next funny thing will be Sony losing market share to Nikon and Canon in the mirrorless market, and getting ditched by the corporation that owns them.

They were doing well by inventing a new technology that they had to themselves, but sometimes success is it's own worst enemy. Their best days are behind them.

Canon already grabbed the lead with their EF adapter for their legacy lenses. What can Sony do to mach that?

Last edited by normhead; 03-09-2021 at 07:50 PM.
03-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Canon already grabbed the lead with their EF adapter for their legacy lenses. What can Sony do to mach that?
Mach it?...thats pretty fast,Sony provided a AF adapter from their SLT glass to their mirrorless mount.Just like Canik have done.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-10-2021 at 04:27 AM. Reason: needless comment
03-10-2021, 01:33 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

]

Mach it?...thats pretty fast,Sony provided a AF adapter from their SLT glass to their mirrorless mount.Just like Canik have done.
Eh, Nikon's doesn't work with screwdrive lenses.
I'd say Canon's the most convenient, then Sony's latest version, then Nikon's.
03-10-2021, 01:43 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Nikon's doesn't work with screwdrive lenses.
Thats correct,they seem to work pretty well with non screwdrive from all reports,with the overpriced FTZ adapter.

---------- Post added 03-10-21 at 07:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'd say Canon's the most convenient,
Yes, id agree.Having over150million lenses out there to choose from is handy.As well as the ThirdParty ones that seem to work pretty well too.
03-10-2021, 01:50 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You bought a 10-17mm? Good choice. It takes some getting use to but it is superb. Also look at the wonderful limited primes. The 15mm and 40mm are marvelous.

Catch up? Nah. Milc is the cutting edge so it gets all the R&D but most of the advancements are technological rather than physical so could be incorporated into new DSLRs, we are getting eye and bird AF in the K3iii. Regarding mirrorless, you said how you love a pentaprism so.... Evf are superb, milc designs are finally incorporating stuff Pentax have had for years (ibis &wr). It will always be down to preference but I suspect, unless Pentax goes under, there will still be a steady trickle of goodies that will see me to my final resting place. Re. Switching brands, my KP and K3 would barely cover an X-T3 and I would miss the limited primes too much. If I want the resolution of a Sony A7iii....well, the k3iii is shaping up nicely
03-10-2021, 01:55 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
And then read today that only 3 manufacturers now left make DSLRs; Canon, Nikon and Pentax.
You forget Hasselblad and Phase One...
03-10-2021, 02:54 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
the k3iii is shaping up nicely
Release next month,so ALL will be revealed.
03-10-2021, 03:56 AM   #89

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
You bought a 10-17mm? Good choice. It takes some getting use to but it is superb. Also look at the wonderful limited primes. The 15mm and 40mm are marvelous.
Indeed. As someone else said earlier in this thread, find the glass you like and buy the camera that fits

When I moved to Pentax Digital from film I started out with the 35mm Limited Macro and DA 70mm but didnt get on with the latter so, moved to a 58mm Voigltander. Over time I picked up some manual focus PKA (mint 28mm, 100mm and 135mm). Have been looking for older glass (already have a couple of genuine M42 adaptors) but yet to find something nice enough - probably need to get to a camera fair when lockdown ends

I found the 28mm disappointing / restricting, tried the 40mm limited but it didnt really do anything new for me so added the 20-40mm when that came out - its rarely off my camera these days, unless I am doing portraits.

Last edited by LittleSkink; 03-10-2021 at 04:07 AM.
03-10-2021, 04:02 AM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The interesting Q is how much more development will happen?Where will Dslr go?

97% is in question!....3% is safe as houses(unless theres an earthquake, virus or fire!).
Pentax hasn't exactly been a "tech heavy" company. With that in mind and the space they have put between their releases, there is plenty of room for them to improve.

Once they finally get the K-3 III out the door, they can work on the next K-1 version. Faster frame rate, 4K video, better AF, and eye AF with the OVF can all be added like they did with the K-3 III. It certainly won't be an MILC killer, but it'll be better than existing Pentax cameras and probably good enough to satisfy many people.

I don't really think that most photographers need 6K video, auto focus points all the way to the edge, duck eye auto focus, and 20 frames per second frame rates. But those are the sorts of things that can be added whereas improving still image quality is a lot more difficult (other than adding megapixels).