Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2021, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear it Carl. I broke my 55-300 PLM on a holiday in Tassie (What to avoid with your 55-300 PLM lens! - PentaxForums.com). The place must be cursed by all those ghosts - convicts and original Tasmanians.

Last edited by Des; 03-15-2021 at 02:31 PM.
03-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #17
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
You do know why Tasmanians have two heads, don’t you? It’s so that we have someone intelligent to talk to when we visit the north island.
Yes, and one of those heads is smarter than the other. To fit in on the mainland I had to pick one to be removed and they done removed the wrong one.

Tas
03-15-2021, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I've ordered a 16 - 85
I have the 15, 21, 31, and 40 Ltds. I love them.
Last year I bought the 16-85. I haven't used one of my other lenses since.
03-15-2021, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So we're on day 3 of a lovely holiday in Tasmania and guess which idiot dropped his KP with a 20 - 40 DA Limited attached onto the floor this morning The camera seems OK and while there's no physical damage to the lens....it is toast. The focal length ring rotates past both the 20mm and 40mm marks and the focal length doesn't change. These are the focal lengths I use most so the prospect of doing the rest of our holiday with just a 15mm and a 55 - 300 zoom was a bit daunting, and there's no way in the world any camera store here would have any Pentax gear.

So.......DCXpert to the rescue. I've ordered a 16 - 85 and it should arrive here in Launceston on Thursday before we leave town on Friday to head down the coast. I've got no idea whether my 20 - 40 can be repaired but it will have to wait until we get back to Perth. I'm really annoyed at myself because I've always taken care of my gear and I don't think I've ever dropped a camera or lens before. And of course it would have to happen on holiday wouldn't it.............

And I got crapped on by a seagull yesterday. Maybe I should just go home now
"These are the focal lengths I use most so the prospect of doing the rest of our holiday with just a 15mm and a 55 - 300 zoom was a bit daunting...."

I shoot all the time with just those two lenses on a pair of KPs. Works a charm. I even did an entire 10-day coast to coast car trip in which I carried other lenses, but never used them.

Which is to say, don't panic.

03-15-2021, 07:38 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So we're on day 3 of a lovely holiday in Tasmania and guess which idiot dropped his KP with a 20 - 40 DA Limited attached onto the floor this morning The camera seems OK and while there's no physical damage to the lens....it is toast. The focal length ring rotates past both the 20mm and 40mm marks and the focal length doesn't change. These are the focal lengths I use most so the prospect of doing the rest of our holiday with just a 15mm and a 55 - 300 zoom was a bit daunting, and there's no way in the world any camera store here would have any Pentax gear.

So.......DCXpert to the rescue. I've ordered a 16 - 85 and it should arrive here in Launceston on Thursday before we leave town on Friday to head down the coast. I've got no idea whether my 20 - 40 can be repaired but it will have to wait until we get back to Perth. I'm really annoyed at myself because I've always taken care of my gear and I don't think I've ever dropped a camera or lens before. And of course it would have to happen on holiday wouldn't it.............

And I got crapped on by a seagull yesterday. Maybe I should just go home now
It never feels right to give a "Like" to posts like this. We obviously need a "Commiserations" button as well.

---------- Post added 16-03-21 at 01:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's the "honeymoon effect". It will wear off and you will return to your true loves.
03-15-2021, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote

Noooo, don't say it. This is what I'm afraid of

---------- Post added 03-16-2021 at 02:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It never feels right to give a "Like" to posts like this. We obviously need a "Commiserations" button as well.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 16-03-21 at 01:41 PM ----------
It's OK Paul, I've come to terms with it - it's happened and there's nothing I can do to change the outcome. I'm more annoyed at my own stupidity and clumsiness than anything.

---------- Post added 03-16-2021 at 02:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Damn, sounds like you got jinxed before you left home.....

Always carry a second lens that at least covers the focal length you use most. Even a little 35mm (HD FA, DA, DA Limited - plenty to choose from) or an 18-55mm kit lens can be a life-saver.

Of course, then you'd have no excuse to get a 16-85mm....

My K-3 and DA 21mm fell over while on a tripod on a windy day once. A little scuffed but no real damage. In Japan I fell over and landed on my K-3 with A-series 28/2.8 on it, again a bit scuffed but no damage. A more modern lens would not have survived having most of my weight on it, I'm amazed an A-series did!
The one lesson I did learn was exactly that - always stick a spare lens in my luggage. I'll be doing that in future.