Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2021, 03:29 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Remote portrait photography

Last week I participated in a remote portrait shoot. This was my first ever and was made possible by the fact that it was so cheap! You control every aspect of the photography process via zoom. Iso, aperture, shutter speed and all four lights are on sliders, the camera is on a powered gimbal and you have a shutter button. Yo control focus via live view and can see the last image taken, the set up and the live view image. Whilst it will never replace a live session, it is a hugely acceptable alternative and may well give you access to character models, pretty much anywhere in the world.

Last edited by Cerebum; 03-19-2021 at 03:43 PM.
03-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

So this is for people who don't have their own camera(s) || lighting system || props || post processing software? Who adds the sepia tone to the picture? How many sets of clothing and stage settings do you get to pick from?
03-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You have exclusive use for half an hour but that soon goes so not many costume changes. Lots of props though

Last edited by Cerebum; 03-19-2021 at 03:45 PM.
03-17-2021, 05:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the first one especially. What a great idea.

03-17-2021, 07:35 PM   #5

This is meaningful to you or the client because? Its the photographic version of a Player Piano.
03-18-2021, 01:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll try to write slow here: It is an opportunity for someone interested in multipoint use of flash photography, who may not actually own the needed gear. It is a "lab" type setting, with lights, camera and a model preset, for a hands-on experience. Participants get the experience and a raw file or two to use in practicing post-processing.
03-18-2021, 07:46 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benedict Michael Quote
This is meaningful to you or the client because? Its the photographic version of a Player Piano.
How is that? You are controlling the framing, the lighting, the exposure. You are telling the model what you want. The player piano plays itself... not a valid comparison. This is more like playing a remote keyboard in a studio and getting a master quality recording of it.

03-18-2021, 10:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might not be a bad idea, some subjects might feel more relaxed without someone breathing down their neck.
03-19-2021, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
NB new images
03-20-2021, 05:54 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
made possible by the fact that it was so cheap!
Just out of curiosity, how much was the 1/2 hour session? If you don’t mind me asking?
03-20-2021, 06:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
Just out of curiosity, how much was the 1/2 hour session? If you don’t mind me asking?
£25 for half an hour. Pro rata it is par for the course but it is a lot easier to find £25 than the £95 for the morning, quoted for the next interesting session that will be face to face which is good, and there will be some exceptional models/characters including a particularly hirsuit gent and a beautifully pre-raphaelite redhead. I just have to find £95 in the case of that one,I would be using my own gear, this shoot (fisherman) it was a canon 5D mkiii