Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2021, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Anyone want to share their camera gear accident stories?

Well, it finally happened! My 14y/o son was inside our Highlander trying to photograph a cardinalthat was tormenting itself with its reflection in the sideview mirror. My son had his K-70 inside the vehicle (itwas parked) on a tripod. When he got outof the vehicle he bumped the camera causing it to be knocked out onto thedriveway!!! Of course, it landedsquarely on the lens!! Luckily he wasusing the DA-L 50-200, and not the 55-300 or 18-135, but the lens isTOAST!! The K-70 is fine, which is thereally big deal! He wants to write areview about the durability of the K-70! After the accident, he was VERY upset, but has since recovered and hehas enough money to get a replacement 50-200 lens. We did have a good talk about being careful,and he gained some life experience and hopefully grew in responsibilitytoo! I think he’ll be fine, and whileI’m sure it won’t be the last accident, hopefully it will be a while before ithappens again!!
As Ifinished this, I got to wondering, what kinds of accidents has everyone elseexperienced, or witnessed happen?? Howdid you deal with it??

03-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here is one that I am proud of

kinda

I had failure with a strap connector, sharp corner on the triangle shaped connector cutting the attachment strap

[ I have another boo boo, WARNING and seeking help - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com ]

that caused my my K 3 + SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM to fall to the concrete side walk

I am proud because I was at the local zoo talking to a family and when the camera and lens fell, I did not say anything inappropriate

minimum damage to the hood of the lens
03-24-2021, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
here is one that I am proud of

kinda

I had failure with a strap connector, sharp corner on the triangle shaped connector cutting the attachment strap

[ I have another boo boo, WARNING and seeking help - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com ]

that caused my my K 3 + SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM to fall to the concrete side walk

I am proud because I was at the local zoo talking to a family and when the camera and lens fell, I did not say anything inappropriate

minimum damage to the hood of the lens
Ok here’s one from me. I was on a six day backpacking trip a couple years ago, and I stopped to photograph a cardinal flower growing on the edge of the creek. The light and background were perfect, and I had the right lens on my camera, so I stepped off the trail to get the shot.

This was the last day of the trip and I was hiking solo and about three miles from my car. Well, I framed the shot, and was just about to press the shutter when WHAM! WHAM! Giant needles were being injected into my legs and working their way up my body! Yep I was standing in a yellowjacket nest!!!

I ran out of there flailing and swatting. I threw off my pack, tripped over a rock bashing my shin in the process. My camera was around my neck and I somehow managed not to damage it!!!

I suffered at least 20 stings and had a nasty bruise on my shin, but my K-S2 was unharmed!

I am MUCH more careful of Yellowjacket nests now, believe me!!
03-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have a Canon G12. Good, little camera, well built, has controls on the body like a DSLR. I never liked the Canon strap, cheap bit of kit for an expensive camera. It finally came apart, while I had the camera hanging from the strap....and it hit our hardwood floor.... hard. Think the body is metal. Fortunately all that happened was a bit of black paint scraped off one of the corners. Still works well.

Did I replace it with an original equipment Canon strap ?

No, I got an accessory strap for $ 30 CAD at Henrys. Much better, more secure, more comfortable strap then the Canon and no issues n the past 7 years that I have had this replacement strap.

03-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I took my girlfriend (now wife) on a canoe camping trip nearly ten years ago with her kid brother.

Of course, wanting to show that he was a hard worker, little brother pulls the canoe up on shore after we disembark to make camp.

The problem is, all the water that accumulated at the bottom of the canoe pooled to the rear of the boat once pulled up on shore. My K-5 and wr kit lens were completely submerged under the murk! Thankfully, I found out after five minutes or so. (The lens hood was just barely peaking out of the muddy water).

The weather sealing did it's job and nothing bad came of the experience.

That trip is still a happy memory for all of us.
03-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Well, it finally happened! My 14y/o son was inside our Highlander trying to photograph a cardinalthat was tormenting itself with its reflection in the sideview mirror. My son had his K-70 inside the vehicle (itwas parked) on a tripod. When he got outof the vehicle he bumped the camera causing it to be knocked out onto thedriveway!!! Of course, it landedsquarely on the lens!! Luckily he wasusing the DA-L 50-200, and not the 55-300 or 18-135, but the lens isTOAST!! The K-70 is fine, which is thereally big deal! He wants to write areview about the durability of the K-70! After the accident, he was VERY upset, but has since recovered and hehas enough money to get a replacement 50-200 lens. We did have a good talk about being careful,and he gained some life experience and hopefully grew in responsibilitytoo! I think he’ll be fine, and whileI’m sure it won’t be the last accident, hopefully it will be a while before ithappens again!!
As Ifinished this, I got to wondering, what kinds of accidents has everyone elseexperienced, or witnessed happen?? Howdid you deal with it??

This is very similar to what happened to me just over a week ago when I dropped my KP with the 20-40 Limited attached while on holiday. The lens is finished and destined to become a paperweight but the KP is fine.........fortunately. I was able to order a 16 - 85 from a reliable supplier in Melbourne and I had it shipped to me overnight. The 16 - 85 is good enough that I'm not going to bother getting the damaged lens repaired.

I was disappointed about what happened to the 20 - 40 but more annoyed with myself about dropping the camera in the first place since I'm usually always very careful with my gear. It's the first time I've ever done something like that.
03-24-2021, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Monday, out with a friend who was interested in seeing angle of view through my Sigma 10-20 on K3 body (with grip attached). He was suitably impressed, then I removed the lens to fit the lens caps, ready to replace it with the 18-135 that I was using that day. He kept hold of the body until I was ready - then he handed it to me, lensless - but accidentally let go before I had a secure grasp on it. Luckily we were seated in a local park, and the body fell, grip first, about two feet onto concrete, landing on the lower left corner of the grip. Since it could fall no further, I took my time about picking it up, not wanting to cause more damage by being too hasty.

When I picked it up, apart from a slightly rough corner where it had struck Terror Firma (sic), there was no obvious damage, and it has worked well since. Just had to use nail file to smooth the corner off. Got off very lightly, I feel. BTW, usually it is on a neck strap, but I had unhooked it so he could try it out. Next time, I'll slip off the strap, and make sure I keep a tight hold of that !
03-24-2021, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was at nearby Fort Tilden beach when a gust of wind blew my little Ricoh FF-1 out of my hand.
It fell gently on soft sand and appeared unharmed however it would no longer advance film.

Eric Hendrickson said something simply became unhooked inside the transport mechanism.
This must have occurred more than a decade ago as he only repairs Pentax SLRs now.

The lesson learned was when holding your camera always put your hand through the wrist strap...

Chris

03-24-2021, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
. . . put your hand through the wrist strap...

Chris

my dad:

QuoteQuote:
I [ you ] paid for that strap

use it
we were told never to pick up a camera without the neck strap around our neck
03-25-2021, 02:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
my dad:

we were told never to pick up a camera without the neck strap around our neck
I agree entirely, and in fact in the incident I related above, the strap was indeed firmly around my neck.

Unfortunately, it was NOT attached to the actual camera body

Mind you, experience is a wonderful teacher - it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
03-25-2021, 02:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-1 got a smack right on the flash mount. Took many months to get it fixed due to Covid. Worse thing was, I had no idea how it happened. We were travelling so between flights and train rides and ubers and shuttle busses it could have happened anywhere during the trip.
03-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I got interrupted as I was loading my gear into the back of our SUV after a shoot and ended up backing over my tripod because I forgot to put it in the truck. Luckily, there was no real damage done. Just got a few scuffs and scrapes.
03-25-2021, 07:46 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't had any major accident, but came close one time.

I was setting up my tripod on large rocks along a stream. Extended the tripod and mounted the camera. As I was reaching into my bag to retrieve a filter, I noticed that the tripod was tipped -- I had not fully tightened one of the twist clamps and the leg was slowly retracting. Luck was on my side that day.

I now double-check my tripod legs.

Another thing I do is make sure my camera strap is never left dangling off a table or other platform, even if I'm by myself.

- Craig
03-25-2021, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several ocean mishaps, ranging from

1) surprise waves smacking my gear and toppling it:

2) losing my footing while hiking a cliff, and breaking a couple of toes, dropping the gear bag

3) climbing up a loose riverbank bluff and near the top, it collapsed, sending me down into a logjam below, covering me with the rocks and debris. My gear bag broke my fall.

4) setting up a shot in this abandoned hotel, then loosing my footing, falling down the concrete stairs and kicking my gear down to the rubble below:

03-25-2021, 09:16 AM - 5 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Thanks to a MAMIL (Middle Aged Moron In Lycra) ringing his bike bell from two feet behind me -- as if it would make me instantly disappear from his path -- I dropped my GX-10/K10D off this substantial brick edifice:

The fall itself did the camera no harm at all. The rapid deceleration at the end, however, was mildly catastophic. Which was a shame. If I'd been using my K1000, the camera would have been fine but the world itself would have split in half.

Of course, as far as the man in the lycra gimp suit was concerned it was all my fault for being a mere pedestrian impeding his holy progress. As far as he was concerned, cycling is an act of such moral purity that any other being using a road, pavement, wheelchair ramp or whatever must categorically be in the wrong as evidenced by them not being on a bike. As Kant might have put it: "Act as if the maxims of your action were to a cyclist a universal law of nature."