Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2021, 12:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
gear envy

Gear envy is not something I generally suffer from, but after looking at this Adam Gibbs Fuji GFX photo on Flickr, I've got it big time. Eden Grove | Located on the west coast of Vancouver Island E? | Flickr
Stunning detail.

03-30-2021, 12:17 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have that wrong.

Photographic skill envy.
03-30-2021, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's a very nice image, but I think he just nailed post processing, no technical restraint incampacitates my K-3 from achieving a similar result.

It might be a stitch though, it looks a little wide for a single shot and I usually only get this kind of technical gibberish in the exif data when stitching images.
edit: After looking at some other images from him I think the technical gibberish is just the result of his export settings, but I still think it's a wide shot for a single image.

Last edited by othar; 03-30-2021 at 02:41 PM.
03-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Looks like a completely computer generated special effect from a movie. Nothing could be further away from my own conception of what good photography is.

03-30-2021, 01:02 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I go to a restaurant and get served a superb meal, my initial reaction is not "that chef must have very good pans"
03-30-2021, 01:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snakebite Quote
Gear envy is not something I generally suffer from, but after looking at this Adam Gibbs Fuji GFX photo on Flickr, I've got it big time. Eden Grove | Located on the west coast of Vancouver Island E? | Flickr
Stunning detail.
I have done lots of panoramic photos with my K3 and now K1. You can achieve similar resolution with a 4 or 5 image pano. Photoshop processes the images in minutes. However, I would love to have the GFX 100 though!
03-30-2021, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I'm envious that when I accessed the pic, it had 777 views, 77 faves and 7 comments.

Seriously though - I don't see anything different from what someone like forum member northcoastgreg is able to capture with his KP, or even with his micro 4/3 equipment - or his K-1 for that matter.

(and if I can be perfectly honest, something like a K10D or K200D, with for example 3 stitched images, would give the same amount of detail - and even better definition of the nuances of green present in this picture, which to me, honestly, has the typical "everything is the same tone of green" rendering that CMOS sensors bring - but that is in my humble opinion).

The picture brings me no gear envy whatsoever... it just makes me want to go out and use the gear I have.

03-30-2021, 01:35 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gear envy is not something I generally suffer from, but after looking at this Adam Gibbs Fuji GFX photo on Flickr, I've got it big time.
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You have that wrong.
Photographic skill envy.
If I go to a restaurant and get served a superb meal, my initial reaction is not "that chef must have very good pans"
The sensor on Gibbs' Fujifilm GFX: 51.4 MP. The sensor on a Pentax 645Z: 51.4 MP. And with stitching, you could get the same from FF or even APS-C.
I'd agree with the others that it's mostly the photographer, the lens, good technique, and post-processing.

When I have envy, it's more just having the time to explore, discover, and create outside of 'work'.
03-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #9

Original Poster
Which has nothing to do with the point I made. A great photographer can make a great image with a 6 megapixel camera, but it's not going to have the detail that's in this photograph.
03-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which has nothing to do with the point I made. A great photographer can make a great image with a 6 megapixel camera, but it's not going to have the detail that's in this photograph.
I am fascinated by what catches the eye of the beholder. I remember this one colleague of mine that would only compliment my prints if they were super sharp, and he'd say, "Wow I love it. It's sooo sharp." Of course who doesn't like flattery, but I also wondered why his response was limited to just that one aspect of the image.

I've also had low res prints that were favored by others because of the narrative or an emotional response. And then there are other aesthetics, simply because of color or because it was the only black and white surrounded in a sea of hues.
03-30-2021, 02:26 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Apart from the image size, which can be worked around with ease, I see nothing with that image that says the gear is what made it possible. The dynamic range isn't huge, there isn't some need for a ultra fast focusing lens or ultra fast aperture. For almost all types of shots gear isn't remotely a limiting factor unless the gear is exceptionally old or exceptionally bad. There are differences in how lenses render but those don't affect a picture as much as people would like to think, composition, shooting ability, and editing ability have a far greater effect on the end result than having a slightly better lens or a newer higher end body. This is one of the things that I try to stress when doing photography merit badge with the scouts. There is usually one scout who insists that the reason I take better pictures is that I have a better camera and lens than what they are using. When this happens I with hand over the K-3ii and let them pick what ever lens out of my bag they want to use. The challenge I offer to them is to pick a subject and I will use the camera they were using and they can use my nice one and what ever nice lens they want and we both will take a picture of it and let the other scouts decide what picture is better. This I find is a great way to drive home the concepts of composition and how to take a picture.

I say almost all as I have found astrophotography to be very demanding of gear and gear can make a huge difference. Even then the newest "best" gear isn't always better. For example where I am there is a guy who also does astrophotography and love bragging about how he uses the "best" gear and is running the newest highest end Canon mirrorless and is using their newest 400/2.8 lens. However my K-3 and old 400/2.8 produces better images lacking color fringing, halos, coma, and field curvature. Every time I post he will accuse me of lying or faking the image when I state the stats on the image because I can do better captures and I have better editing ability. Part of it is that I know of a hidden dark site that is the darkest in the metro area which helps with capturing fine detail but the lack of aberrations all goes to the lens. I think what makes it worse is that I state that I am not using an equatorial mount which would actually improve things for me since I am stuck using astrotracer.

So there you can see with astrophotography that throwing gear at the problem will result in better images but even there the best investment is in glass and/or tracking ability over bodies.
03-30-2021, 02:45 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The first rule of all photography in the field...

f/8 and be there...

I have been on many similar trails on Vancouver Island and closer to home and there is little in the photo that required a GFX. Regarding detail...The shot is only 3000 pixels on the long axis* and could have been managed with any current model Pentax dSLR from the same tripod location if fitted with a quality lens appropriate to the horizontal FOV. I wager the DA 16-85 would probably do nicely using the long end attached to a K-70. The tough part is being there with your camera, lens, and tripod when blessed with the required flat light without the usual attendant rain.

FWIW...getting there will require some effort unless you are already local.

https://goo.gl/maps/cfb2FKA2PN14bT5w6

BTW, Shane (@snakebite), your posted work on Flickr is of comparable quality.

Steve

* Here is a direct link to the maximum zoom version https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51084104427_05e8f77f28_3k.jpg

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-30-2021 at 06:04 PM.
03-31-2021, 11:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
"Wow I love it. It's sooo sharp."
It is usually the pros who do that. Everyone is obsessed with sharpness. Come to think of it, film in comparison is always softer than digital. Hence that organic feel that everyone loves about film images. The best complement I got was from a friend who was a pro and actually went to photography school. I am self taught. He said, "my images have soul." That kind of stuck with me. I am not doing any photography these days. I have a closet full of Pentax and Fuji gear and I do nothing with them. That should be a crime!! I remember when I was a snuggling student and saved up all summer to buy my Pentax MX and a "coke bottle" Sigma 39-80. Man I was in the clouds with my new camera. Now I have a mini camera store's worth of gear and do nothing with it! I guess the soul is dead!
03-31-2021, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
It is usually the pros who do that. Everyone is obsessed with sharpness. Come to think of it, film in comparison is always softer than digital. Hence that organic feel that everyone loves about film images. The best complement I got was from a friend who was a pro and actually went to photography school. I am self taught. He said, "my images have soul." That kind of stuck with me. I am not doing any photography these days. I have a closet full of Pentax and Fuji gear and I do nothing with them. That should be a crime!! I remember when I was a snuggling student and saved up all summer to buy my Pentax MX and a "coke bottle" Sigma 39-80. Man I was in the clouds with my new camera. Now I have a mini camera store's worth of gear and do nothing with it! I guess the soul is dead!
You just need to get yourself motivated.
03-31-2021, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Stunning detail.
Too much HDR to my taste. I prefer closer to reality editing. And when it comes to detail, Pentax provides a lot more than fits the screen. One needs to zoom in to see it