Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2021, 11:59 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I remember when I was a snuggling student and saved up all summer to buy my Pentax MX and a "coke bottle" Sigma 39-80. Man I was in the clouds with my new camera. Now I have a mini camera store's worth of gear and do nothing with it! I guess the soul is dead!
For all except the most disciplined, having too many "tools" can create more of a sense of accomplishment collecting gear rather than the early days of having that one camera and that one lens.

Also at the dawn of our creative days, there was more inspiration because everything was a discovery, an exploration, a new experience. But even the most inspirational projects eventually become less inspirational at some point and completion always requires discipline.

One thing I've learned over time is that photographers that continue to shoot and create have the discipline to go forth and find the image. Inspiration may come in the middle or the end of the process, but they gave it a chance by having the discipline to start.

I guess it takes sweat to have soul.

04-01-2021, 05:01 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I guess it takes sweat to have soul.
That is so true. It all starts with the first step.
04-01-2021, 05:17 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are few photographers I spend time following on YouTube or any other social media, but Adam Gibbs is one of them. From this thread I have learned that he shoots panos with a 50MP GFX100 and makes HDR images from them. Thanks for a really good laugh, guys!
04-01-2021, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The first rule of all photography in the field...

BTW, Shane (@snakebite), your posted work on Flickr is of comparable quality.

Steve
I agree 100% with Steve here Shane, Your works on Flickr are amazing. Forget gear envy, I just had a case of skill envy.

al

04-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
There are few photographers I spend time following on YouTube or any other social media, but Adam Gibbs is one of them. From this thread I have learned that he shoots panos with a 50MP GFX100 and makes HDR images from them. Thanks for a really good laugh, guys!
You did not hear that from me! His photo did not need HDR due to natural conditions that are common in the rain forest on the island. As for panos...the image is a crop that would be very approachable with 24 Mpx APS-C or 24x36mm FF.

BTW...before this thread, I was unaware of Gibbs' work. I know many of the areas he shoots and think I may follow him on Flickr.

Steve
04-01-2021, 01:05 PM   #21
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You did not hear that from me! His photo did not need HDR due to natural conditions that are common in the rain forest on the island. As for panos...the image is a crop that would be very approachable with 24 Mpx APS-C or 24x36mm FF.

Steve
I said HDR, but referred to PP style regardless if it's reached by stacking shots or adjusting levels. Bad habit due to poorly named HDR tool in Capture 1. That could've been figured out from context, if not willing to jump into conclusions.
04-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without quoting anyone particularly, the video of Adam Gibbs's photo shoot in Eden Grove (and another location) including the making of that image in the OP is available on YouTube. Shooting style, particular techniques used and the original raw file image as well as the finished image are on show. He also mentions which gear is used, but just enjoy the images please? He's also trying to do justice to a threatened area of old growth forest, so the photos have a purpose more than pretty pictures.

04-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
the video of Adam Gibbs's photo shoot in Eden Grove (and another location) including the making of that image in the OP is available on YouTube
For the impatient, skip to 12:48 for the shot in question.

Steve
04-01-2021, 02:09 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't be envious. You do excellent work already. The more important thing is to try to get your photos to meet your internal vision. That's a tough thing, but certainly doesn't require a lot of expensive equipment.

This was taken with a K-5 and FA 31. It was of the Horseshoe Bend in the Ohio and I took 9 images vertically and stitched them. The end result was an image that had a high level of detail. But it wasn't the stitching or the camera, but simply that the light was right and it was a nice still morning.

04-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
I agree 100% with Steve here Shane, Your works on Flickr are amazing. Forget gear envy, I just had a case of skill envy.

al
I appreciate that.
04-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by snakebite Quote
Which has nothing to do with the point I made. A great photographer can make a great image with a 6 megapixel camera, but it's not going to have the detail that's in this photograph.
That's absolutely correct
04-09-2021, 02:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If I go to a restaurant and get served a superb meal, my initial reaction is not "that chef must have very good pans"
Depends on the meal. In this instance it seems to be a meal that utilises a lot of molecular gastronomy techniques and all I got is a nice griddle and an oven.