Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 05:53 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
One thing I've found through the years is it is sometimes better to try to force stuff. In this case, if a particular focal length doesn't work for you, force yourself to find out what it can do for you. For me, it's wide angle lenses. I have very little use for the 28-40mm focal lengths (on full frame, on APS-C, translate that to 15mm to 28mm), lenses in that range represent less than 10% of my images. However, I have forced myself to use them, which accounts for probably 75% of the images taken with them. At least now I know what they will do for me.
Generally, I just go back to what I know works. That means standards to short telephotos, or ultra wide angles. I just don't seem to see in between the two. I also don't get a lot of use out of my long telephotos, but I still force myself to use them from time to time, just to make sure I know what they are good for.
Sometimes, you might just surprise yourself and find a unicorn. That was my thing with the 31mm. I bought it as a standard lens for APS-C, and pretty much put it aside when I bought the K1, but I forced myself to use it at an ad hoc car show one day and found it to be very agreeable.
I have to agree. The single in group is useful for that. I was never a wide angle shooter growing up. I shout mostly at 50mm with some telephoto tossed in. Wide angle were not something I used a lot... then I got a da “15 and singled” it. That was the start of a change in my preferences.

04-21-2021, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
One thing I've found through the years is it is sometimes better to try to force stuff. In this case, if a particular focal length doesn't work for you, force yourself to find out what it can do for you. For me, it's wide angle lenses. I have very little use for the 28-40mm focal lengths (on full frame, on APS-C, translate that to 15mm to 28mm), lenses in that range represent less than 10% of my images. However, I have forced myself to use them, which accounts for probably 75% of the images taken with them. At least now I know what they will do for me.
Generally, I just go back to what I know works. That means standards to short telephotos, or ultra wide angles. I just don't seem to see in between the two. I also don't get a lot of use out of my long telephotos, but I still force myself to use them from time to time, just to make sure I know what they are good for.
Sometimes, you might just surprise yourself and find a unicorn. That was my thing with the 31mm. I bought it as a standard lens for APS-C, and pretty much put it aside when I bought the K1, but I forced myself to use it at an ad hoc car show one day and found it to be very agreeable.
that mentality is actually great all around for general life as well. not to get off topic, but bare with me here. One of the greatest advices I ever got was from my old manager from one of my previous jobs, stating 'never get comfortable'. that applies to work, as the more uncomfortable you get, the more you learn, thus you grow. In relationships, as if you're getting comfortable, you're taking someone for granted. with workouts, because you aren't challenging yourself enough. with art, same thing applies. if its uncomfortable, it maybe uncomfortable because you're not familiar with that look/feel.

likewise, i do have one lens that goes up to 300mm on full frame, which i HATE. Not necessarily hate for its length, but its limited aperture. I do agree with you that you should learn what other lenses can do/look like and get used to them.

What i've also implemented is multiple uses of any given lens. What i mean is that though a 100mm is considered a telephoto lens, i've learned to use that lens for landscapes by stitching multiple shots together to make it look like its a wide angle lens. is it more work? sure. but helps REALLY learn photography in a different way.
04-29-2021, 02:17 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I have five (5) 50mm lenses because is a focal length that has always fascinated me but I hate it also because every time is too long or too short. So as walk around prime lens I use the FA 43mm or the FA 31mm .
04-29-2021, 04:38 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
I have five (5) 50mm lenses because is a focal length that has always fascinated me but I hate it also because every time is too long or too short. So as walk around prime lens I use the FA 43mm or the FA 31mm .
THe31 sounds about right to me as I like that field of view on my K-1, but right now the 43 is my walkaround and it works well for me, mostly because of weight and it gives a bit wider FOV than a 50.

To the OP; I started off with a M50 1.7 as recommended to me by my photography teacher, and loved that lens but I often found it was too narrow. I guess it depends on where your daily walk arounds are going to be. If I'm in an urban area then I would want something wider. Pretty much everywhere else i thought the 50 was fine.