Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I hear 3 concerns
- will you be satisfied with just a 50mm as a walk around
- cost of the dfa* 50
- weight of the dfa* 50

I would pickup a used fa 50 1.4. in the US they are available in the $150-200 range. If you don't like it you can sell it.

This will allow you to see for yourself with concern #1. If you like it you can then read reviews and posts comparing the lenses. Based upon that you can decide if you want to upgrade. That addresses #2. For #3 look up the weight of the dfa and see how that compares to your 300 or another lens and decide if you want to carry that vs the fa 50

You can also go with the fa1.7. KEH has an excellent at $170 and a bargain at $140

Edit: it doesn't seem like cost was the concern in the op. So this might not add much value although it does allow you to decide if just a 50 is enough and avoid the weight issue
Hi,
I hear a lot of weight concern. I read comparisons between the DFA and the FA. I have the FA.

I guess what I need to do is go out for a few weeks with the FA only to check out where I feel limited.

A lot of folks use the kit lens 28-105 and I must admit it is very good.

Thank you everybody for your input. Much appreciated.

The 50mm macro may be juggling around in my head for a while.

Gary

03-31-2021, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Gary,
Hope you're on the mend!
For what it's worth, here's my two-cent's worth: My walk around lens on the K-1 is the DFA 28-105...in all honesty, it's a tough decision to take this lens off the camera.
Thinking about portraiture, acquired a DFA* 50 and it is a beautiful lens. A little heavy compared to lenses from the film era but (with a battery grip) seems well balanced on the K-1.
Although I've tried a tried a variety of 50mm lenses over the years for landscape, never really got the bug for that range preferring first a Sigma 10-20 on the APS-C and then the DFA 15-30 on the K-1. A landscape aspect I haven't really worked through with the DFA 15-30 is the inability to work with my current Cokin filter set...replicating or using PhotoShop to enhance an image will most likely be my next step. Similar to yourslef, this voluntary sheltering has crimped the photo outings considerably.
If the 50mm range is your style then I don't think you could go wrong with the current version. Again, it is a beautiful piece of engineering and compliments the K-1's full-frame technology
03-31-2021, 11:39 AM   #18
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't own a K-1 II or the lens I'm going to recommend but I recently compared lots of 40mm photo samples...

I would suggest an FA 43mm f/1.9 for a full frame everyday carry - they produce spectacular images
Smc PENTAX-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited - PentaxForums.com

would be way easier to carry than the 50 1.4, get a bit more FoV, and is more affordable.
03-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I usually use the FA31 as my walk-around lens, as I often photograph people relatively close up, so that works better for me.

What I have also used at times, however, are the FA43 - because I like its rendering, and it is a very small and light lens. Or, the DA55, which I think is very nice, not super heavy, and has the 1.4 aperture. (Though there is the possibility that it could have an SDM issue.)

03-31-2021, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for all the input everyone !

I never put any thought about the weight of this beast.

I need to re-evaluate all this before I get my tax return

Thanks again !

Gary
03-31-2021, 05:53 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For something that I instantly thought of but do not see yet; the DA 50 1.8 "plastic fantastic". Here are example shots;

RICOH PENTAX K-1 | smc PENTAX-DA 50mm F1.8 | Sample Photos - ExploreCams

Personally I like 40mm on full frame quite a lot and I think some other folks have mentioned the DA 40 XS as a possible option as well. Here's a Flickr album (not mine) with some photos taken with this lens on the K-1;

Pentax K-1 and DA 40mm f2.8 XS | Flickr

Just more information to maybe help the decision making process.
04-02-2021, 02:27 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
The DA 40/2.8 Limited is so miniscule you might not think it's there
The DA 40mm XS is even more compact, I use it on my K-1 for a walk-around combo that is hard to beat.

I have an old SMC-A 50mm f1.7 (IIRC) Also a great combo to just go out and have fun with. Compose the scene, zoom with your feet, set the DOF accordingly, and you'll enjoy any 50mm you choose.

04-02-2021, 04:15 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
50mm 1.4 as a walk-around lens
I like this as a focal length, I use her faster cousin... with whom I have a special relationship, hence her name "Special Lady"
04-02-2021, 07:23 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for the 50mm macro.

Although the DFA28-105 is a bit more versatile for walking around.

But I can always tell the difference between the 2 at 50mm, the macro looks crisper but a little less colour.

(Weight is a problem for me too, so I've been saved from DFA 50 GAS)
04-11-2021, 02:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

FA43 for me (the M40/2.8 before that). However as stated an M or A 50/1.7 costs peanuts and gives you 95% of the capability. Pair either with an M or A 28/2.8 and you're done for most purposes.
04-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

50 is a tricky lens for me.
I really want to like the focal length, as i've seen magic created with this lens. yet try as i might, i always gravitate towards the 31 or the 85 over the 50.
I think the 85 is absolutely breath taking, and almost ANYONE with minimal photography experience can take breath taking photos with this lens.
the 31 (or 35) is great to capture the subtleties of life.

but the 50...in the right hands, with enough know-how, is hard to beat. Though I recognize the benefits and the 'natural' look of the length, i always seem to struggle with it. Its too wide for portraits (in my opinion), but too narrow for landscapes. An awkward lens in my hands. But I still want to love it
04-19-2021, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hadi, I agree with you about the 50mm. Have you tried a 40 or 43mm? For the way I visualize things, that is the most "natural" focal length. If you haven't already read it, see my post #4 in this thread regarding the 40-ish focal length vs. 50mm lenses. Might be worth a try if you haven't done so yet
04-19-2021, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
50 is a tricky lens for me.
I really want to like the focal length, as i've seen magic created with this lens. yet try as i might, i always gravitate towards the 31 or the 85 over the 50.
I think the 85 is absolutely breath taking, and almost ANYONE with minimal photography experience can take breath taking photos with this lens.
the 31 (or 35) is great to capture the subtleties of life.

but the 50...in the right hands, with enough know-how, is hard to beat. Though I recognize the benefits and the 'natural' look of the length, i always seem to struggle with it. Its too wide for portraits (in my opinion), but too narrow for landscapes. An awkward lens in my hands. But I still want to love it
I happen to really like standard lenses, so for me, the D FA* 50/1.4 is a much loved lens.
I like to think I have the right hands for it.

04-20-2021, 05:48 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Hadi, I agree with you about the 50mm. Have you tried a 40 or 43mm? For the way I visualize things, that is the most "natural" focal length. If you haven't already read it, see my post #4 in this thread regarding the 40-ish focal length vs. 50mm lenses. Might be worth a try if you haven't done so yet
I recently did get a 45mm f1.8 for my sony, and it is doing the trick just fine.
but yes, the subtleties that come with the 40-50mm range is superb

---------- Post added 04-20-21 at 05:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I happen to really like standard lenses, so for me, the D FA* 50/1.4 is a much loved lens.
I like to think I have the right hands for it.
that is a great shot, and indeed, great hand there

I would like to better my portraits with the 45-50mm lenses in the near future
04-20-2021, 06:49 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote

I would like to better my portraits with the 45-50mm lenses in the near future
One thing I've found through the years is it is sometimes better to try to force stuff. In this case, if a particular focal length doesn't work for you, force yourself to find out what it can do for you. For me, it's wide angle lenses. I have very little use for the 28-40mm focal lengths (on full frame, on APS-C, translate that to 15mm to 28mm), lenses in that range represent less than 10% of my images. However, I have forced myself to use them, which accounts for probably 75% of the images taken with them. At least now I know what they will do for me.
Generally, I just go back to what I know works. That means standards to short telephotos, or ultra wide angles. I just don't seem to see in between the two. I also don't get a lot of use out of my long telephotos, but I still force myself to use them from time to time, just to make sure I know what they are good for.
Sometimes, you might just surprise yourself and find a unicorn. That was my thing with the 31mm. I bought it as a standard lens for APS-C, and pretty much put it aside when I bought the K1, but I forced myself to use it at an ad hoc car show one day and found it to be very agreeable.