Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 02:23 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
Not sure how things are organised in terms of distributors in UK, but was slightly surprised they can't get all the other brands, maybe they dont *want* to stock Pentax?
I talked at length to a local camera store that carries every brand except Pentax. I asked why and the owner said what Ricoh dictates to be an authorized seller was worse and unsustainable compared to any other brand. He mentioned a few specifics which I don't remember, but he blamed Ricoh for unrealistic conditions to carry their products.

I am not business person, I don't remember the details, so I can't judge, but when I see other 'smaller' brands like Olympus, Fujifilm, and Panasonic in places like BestBuy, there must be a reason why Pentax is absent. I do believe Pentax would be more popular if they were less rare in brick and mortars, but no doubt they are being selective as to where they know they can move product.

04-21-2021, 04:16 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I talked at length to a local camera store that carries every brand except Pentax. I asked why and the owner said what Ricoh dictates to be an authorized seller was worse and unsustainable compared to any other brand. He mentioned a few specifics which I don't remember, but he blamed Ricoh for unrealistic conditions to carry their products.
Interesting, given how many authorized dealers have no mention of Pentax on their websites and no inventory on their shelves.
04-21-2021, 04:19 AM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Interesting, given how many authorized dealers have no mention of Pentax on their websites and no inventory on their shelves.
not sure it is true but I was told once that, unlike other camera companies, Pentax considered providing product to a camera shop as a sale to the camera shop so unsold inventory at the camera shop could not be returned to Pentax if it didn't sell

if the camera shop is operating on thin margins, you wouldn't want that type of arrangement
04-25-2021, 05:08 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Western Canada based drug store chain, London Drugs, carries photo gear but they stopped selling Pentax after Ricoh. Then the local Alberta independent chain McBain was sold to London Drugs. The local repair shops closed. Another camera chain based in Winnipeg left town. The local used camera store finally closed as it's aging owner finally retired, old Wally had the most unique store filled with photography stuff. The pandemic is making a further mess of the remaining retailers, from restaurants to photography to clothing stores.

04-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Here in Cleveland, we have one remaining camera store, Dodd's. They used to have about seven stores in the Cleveland area. Now they have two. They also have a few stores in Columbus, Dayton and (I believe) Cincinnati.

They do carry professional grade equipment. They also carry Pentax and have a few in stock.

I remember hearing, ten or fifteen years ago, when the Ritz camera chain went bankrupt, that one of the reasons many stores stopped stocking Pentax, was that Nikon and Canon would sell equipment on consignment, meaning that the store didn't pay for it until they sold it. C and N also paid commissions directly to the salesman, over and above what the store paid them, so the salesmen would much rather sell a C or N than a P.

Pentax would not sell on consignment, nor would they pay direct commissions.

I also read that, when Ritz went bankrupt, they owed Nikon an amount equal to Nikon's annual US revenue. That is why Nikon was a primary investor when Michael Ritz bought the stores from the bankruptcy court. They hoped to recoup some of their losses. It didn't work. Ritz went bankrupt again and closed for good a couple of years later.

Pentax has also been terrible about product placement in movies and TV shows. All the CSI and NCIS franchise use Nikon and the name is prominently visible when they are taking photos of crimes scenes. I think that the last time I saw a Pentax in a movie was "A Hard Days Night", starring the Beatles. Ringo had an S3. That was what, 1964?
04-27-2021, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
In Alberta, for new gear, we have McBain Camera and TheCameraStore 'brick-and-mortar' stores.
There are even a couple McBains in Edmonton alone (where I live) but they are also in Lethbridge and Red Deer.
TheCameraStore is only in Calgary, but I price match them a bunch.

Most impressive - for used gear, the 'Classic Camera Exchange' is also in Edmonton - who doesn't have a website, but there have been a couple YouTube videos made about his store:
Wally's Classic Camera Exchange - YouTube
I think it helps if you have mountains nearby, more camera stores pop up!
04-30-2021, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
I think it helps if you have mountains nearby, more camera stores pop up!
It didn't seem to help Denver, CO. Pentax US operation has historically been based in Boulder, just outside of Denver.

Last I heard, there were no camera stores in the Denver area that carried Pentax equipment.

04-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
It didn't seem to help Denver, CO. Pentax US operation has historically been based in Boulder, just outside of Denver.

Last I heard, there were no camera stores in the Denver area that carried Pentax equipment.
Sad to say this seems to be the case:

Denver Pro Photo is listed as an Authorized Ricoh Imaging Dealer, but their website does not have an online store, nor do they give any indication of being a Pentax/Ricoh dealer or carrying any of their products.

Wyoming Camera Outfitters, 225 mi away, is also listed as an Authorized Ricoh Imaging Dealer, but they too give no indication of being a Pentax/Ricoh dealer or carrying any of their products.
04-30-2021, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote

Close, it was Englewood(80110)
Where Honeywell Pentax was headquartered. I did factory training there with Gene Wentworth in ‘73.

Hang up and DRIVE!
05-01-2021, 04:01 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Western Canada based drug store chain, London Drugs, carries photo gear, but they stopped selling Pentax after Ricoh. Then the local Alberta independent chain McBain was sold to London Drugs. The local repair shops closed. Another camera chain based in Winnipeg left town. The local used camera store finally closed as it's aging owner finally retired, old Wally had the most unique store filled with photography stuff. The pandemic is making a further mess of the remaining retailers, from restaurants to photography to clothing stores.
Sorry to disagree but London Drugs still list Pentax on their website! https://www.londondrugs.com/search/?q=PENTAX&prefn1=brandDescription&prefv1=...TERS%7CCAMERAS
05-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Living in a rural small town, I have only places like Wal-Mart within a reasonable driving distance. There used to be a camera store in a mall about 2 hours from me, but now I have no idea. Probably the closest I could find one would be Pittsburgh which is at least 3.5 to 4 hours drive. and then I'd get lost in the city trying to find one. I have to stick with online research and forum advice and suggestions for camera equipment.
05-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

since I am up in Omaha NE cat sitting for my son and daughter in law for a week, I will be checking out the local camera store to see if they have any hidden gems in their " experienced " equipment bins
05-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
since I am up in Omaha NE cat sitting for my son and daughter in law for a week, I will be checking out the local camera store to see if they have any hidden gems in their " experienced " equipment bins
Ask them if they are aware they’re an authorized retailer for Ricoh Imaging and Pentax.
05-01-2021, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Sorry to disagree but London Drugs still list Pentax on their website! https://www.londondrugs.com/search/?q=PENTAX&prefn1=brandDescription&prefv1=...TERS%7CCAMERAS
Alas, special order only from London Drugs. I've talked to the salespeople. They don't stock Pentax regularly and haven't done so for quite some time.

McBain Camera in Alberta carries Pentax as a regular stocking item, they're London Drugs' sister company now.