Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monitors: Lenovo l28u-30 vs Asus ProArt PA278QV

Hi. Not sure if this is the right place to post this so forgive me if it's not. I'd like to know people's opinions about these two monitors, which one is better and why? Looking at these because they are both in my price range and characteristics are not that bad.

P.S. Buying it mostly for photo editing, Lenovo is a little cheaper, not sure if 4K is a necessity, video card is old radeon hd7770 at the moment, quad core Intel, 12Gb RAM

04-14-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by furryurry Quote
Hi. Not sure if this is the right place to post this so forgive me if it's not. I'd like to know people's opinions about these two monitors, which one is better and why? Looking at these because they are both in my price range and characteristics are not that bad.

P.S. Buying it mostly for photo editing, Lenovo is a little cheaper, not sure if 4K is a necessity, video card is old radeon hd7770 at the moment, quad core Intel, 12Gb RAM
This might help with the Asus.
https://photographylife.com/reviews/asus-proart-pa278qv
04-15-2021, 01:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Asus has better connectivity (at least +4 USB 3.0). IMO UHD resolution is enough for picture editing (never used 4K though). Lenovo has 8-bit +FRC colors, Asus - real 8 bits. In case your graphic card do not support 10 bits, 8 bits are optimal. But who knows what will be in the future (maybe you will change your graphic card or whole computer). I prefer to buy things that last long and many monitors have 30000 hours working time specification, so that means almost 4 years non-stop work).
Any of these monitors specify AdobeRGB space coverage (so, it could be not impressive as sRGB to specify it . If you will not use this color space for editing, then 8 bits are enough to cover (almost) whole sRGB space.
Asus has possibility to change height and to use portait mode, as well as swivel the monitor, Lenovo - not.
IMO good (but not excellent) monitor for photo editing should cost about 700+ dollars.

Last edited by Medex; 04-15-2021 at 03:03 AM.
04-15-2021, 04:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I happen to have been through this and I selected the Asus. ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV 27” WQHD (2560 x 1440) Monitor, 100% sRGB/Rec. 709 ΔE < 2, IPS, DisplayPort HDMI DVI-D Mini DP, Calman Verified, Eye Care, Anti-Glare, Tilt Pivot Swivel Height Adjustable amazon.com: ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV 27?tag=pentaxforums-20& WQHD (2560 x 1440) Monitor, 100% sRGB/Rec. 709 ?E < 2, IPS, DisplayPort HDMI DVI-D Mini DP, Calman Verified, Eye Care, Anti-Glare, Tilt Pivot Swivel Height Adjustable: Computers & Accessories

I personally find it a great monitor. I use it for work every day and for photo editing when I have time.

Issues I have noted:
1) first one sent was defective, there was a red vertical line about 1/3 of the way from the left. Amazon replaced without any questions but supply chain of the monitor was low and it took a week or two.

2) occasionally the work computer seems to get confused if the panel isn’t connected when it powers up. The connection goes through a Dell usb dock which could be the real culprit. The symptom is video bouncing back and forth to the two screens (onboard lcd, external panel) powering off and back on resolves it. Typically it happens when I power on the laptop and then power on the usb dock and lcd during the startup. The previous Dell panel didn’t behave this way, I’m guessing it’s related to more advanced features and non-dell monitor. It is simple to fix and doesn’t cause any other issue.

04-15-2021, 05:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input.

Last edited by furryurry; 04-15-2021 at 05:43 AM.
04-15-2021, 05:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll add my voice to the Asus recommendation. I have not used the Lenovo, so can't compare the two. But I recently bought the 27" Asus to replace a pair of smaller and older Dell Ultrasharp units, and couldn't be happier. Colours on the Asus seem far more accurate, resolution is excellent, connectivity options are great. Totally satisfied with it.
04-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you.

04-16-2021, 07:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

TFT Central Panel Parts Databases
04-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll add my voice to the crowd cheering for Asus. I'm a big fan of theirs. I would only say that 4k is overkill in a 27" monitor. I cannot discern the pixels in my dual *2k* monitors sitting on my desk. I read an article a while back about matching monitor size and resolution ‐ 1080 up to 24", 2k for 27", and 4k only if going larger, or something like that. Anyway, I am very happy with the 2k resolution.