Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2021, 10:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My Peak Design Everyday Messenger, and Domke Metro Messenger, both comfortably accommodate exactly that kit.

The PD looks snappier, and is a little more compact.
As I said, my Vanguard messenger also holds the kit. But I find carrying a messenger bag on one shoulder with the PD strap+K1+70-200 on the other is just a pain. I would rather have the bag on my back.

04-15-2021, 11:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry Paul, I mis-read your first post. I agree that fully laden messengers are pretty hard work.

My PD Every Backpack works a bit like a sling bag you can access from either side. It holds even more than my messengers.

I have also pre-ordered the Top Shelf. We'll see if it's as good as the CrowdFunding hype says it is
04-15-2021, 11:32 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Is there a difference between the Street Walker and the Street Walker Pro? They look identical to me, besides a slight price difference.
I had to drag my mind out of the gutter after that question!
04-15-2021, 11:42 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You don't need a bag, you need an assistant
^^^+1...
Only a large backpack should do it. Vanguard is mentioned and I’d agree. Messenger bags didn’t work for me too, except when I go walking light.

04-15-2021, 11:46 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well spotted - the difference is about $25USD!
04-15-2021, 11:47 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
^^^+1...
Only a large backpack should do it. Vanguard is mentioned and I’d agree. Messenger bags didn’t work for me too, except when I go walking light.
I am forever in search of a TARDIS bag.
04-16-2021, 12:34 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes, another "Which bag should I buy?" thread. But for this one I have very specific requirements.

I am looking for a backpack or preferably a sling-pack that can accommodate my standard street/walk-around kit:
  • DFA* 70-200
  • DFA 15-30
  • DFA* 50
  • K1, ideally with one of the above lenses mounted.
If it could also hold the DFA 28-105, that would be an advantage.

I currently use a Lowepro 202AW, but that only holds the basic kit if no lens is mounted on the camera, and even then, the DFA* 50 has to go in the top compartment meant for non-photo gear.

Everything goes nicely in my Vanguard Up-rise II 38 messenger bag. That bag is perfect for taking gear to a fixed location, but I don't like messenger bags for walk-around, particularly if using a sling strap for the camera/lens.

So, something as compact as possible for this kit, and accessible without taking it completely off your back. All suggestions welcome.

P.S. I have a Peak Design camera clip, but find it unwieldy for the K1. It's more suitable for an APS-C camera for me.
I think that a street/walk around kit should only consist of the bare necessities of a photographer's life. The kit you describe is a portable studio. And in a studio you need an assistant, a sound advise of pschlute!

04-16-2021, 01:16 AM   #23
Closed Account

For me, none of the rucksacks you balance on a shoulder to access gear have ever felt comfortable in the transition to access mode. I did try the Mindshift photocrss sling bag, which is easy to swing around from back to front and has a huge opening flap giving full access to gear. I suspect the 13l one will fit the kit, the only question mark would be stability with the weight. I didn't get one because I was looking for a hybridised photo/general pack and the mindshift is definitely gear oriented

PhotoCross 13 - best outdoor weatherproof camera photography sling bag ? Think Tank Photo

The video in the link shows a 70-200 plus dslr in the 13

Last edited by 3by2; 04-16-2021 at 01:44 AM. Reason: missed a bit
04-16-2021, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would take a step back and rethink the kit. When I am doing street photography, my typical approach is below about 85 mm. If I am shooting my M42 kit on crop sensors, this is a zenitar 16mm/2.8 fisheye, something in the 28-35 range (of which I have about 6 different legacy options, and an 85/1.9.

If I am shooting with AF lenses, I usually go with a sigma 10-20 on K5 and tamron 28-75/2.8 on my K1 . Either way, I have a camera in my hand and either a couple of lenses or the second body with lens attached (plus spare batteries, cell phone, memory cards etc) in a small fossil messenger bag. It looks like anything but a camera bag.

There is no need to take big and long lenses on a city walk about, and if you plan to do so, then it is a specific shooting (IMO)
04-16-2021, 04:12 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I totally agree that Paul's kit is over the top for a city walk-around. But that was the brief of the original post.

Personally, I took the KP and Limited primes through the mean streets of Buenos Aires and Rome, and didn't miss my big boys at all. But we're all different
04-16-2021, 04:57 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

I totally agree that Paul's kit is over the top for a city walk-around. But that was the brief of the original post.

Personally, I took the KP and Limited primes through the mean streets of Buenos Aires and Rome, and didn't miss my big boys at all. But we're all different
I totally missed he was discussing a street kit. Yeah, street for me means relatively intimate images or wide angle architectural stuff. Both of those are better served by wide angles such as DA15 or for better range a Sigma 17-50 up to a moderate telephoto like an FA77. Now you are talking a much more compact kit.
04-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I totally missed he was discussing a street kit. Yeah, street for me means relatively intimate images or wide angle architectural stuff. Both of those are better served by wide angles such as DA15 or for better range a Sigma 17-50 up to a moderate telephoto like an FA77. Now you are talking a much more compact kit.
I think between the three of us, we have the same perspective on a street kit, which is why I raised the point..

Many times I see inquiries about carrying gear, and I take a step back and look at the difference between transporting from home (point A) to a temporary base (Point B), and what you do, near and around point B. The two demands can be quite different. Because for many of us when travelling we don’t take everything all the time when at your temporary base. But again that’s a personal choice.

For every thing the OP is carrying, if it is all in his shoulder/sling bag, it will be a fairly heavy load probably approaching 5-7 kilos, and while I don’t really have an issue (I carry my DA650 and K1 on 1-2 hour 5-10k walks all the time) a lot of people have issues with a similar weight.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 04-16-2021 at 03:41 PM.
04-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #28
Forum Member

Take a look at the Think Tank Turnstyle 20 v2.0 Sling Bag. My regular kit with this for shorter hikes has been the KP, 15mm Limited, HD 20-40mm, PLM 55-300mm. At times I have added the DA* 300mm or the Tamron 70-200mm. With either of the later 2 it's a tighter fit, but still works. Removing the 55-300mm and adding one of the others is fine too. I often use when mountain biking. The sling concept works nicely and good access, has slot for tablet too and a rain hood.
04-17-2021, 04:53 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess we all have different definitions of "walk-around".

For me, I like to have convenience and ease of access to the camera, with minimal stopping and taking off the bag, so there's the every day carry (EDC) level, which for my K-1 and a lens fits in a Case Logic holster that has three pockets. For my use, those pockets hold a DA 40mm XS, a headlamp, extra batteries, and cleaning supplies. This is my "grab and go" kit which I take almost daily every where I go.

For something like a long walk in town or a short day hike of 1-3 hours, the next level is a Case Logic sling bag, it has a side compartment for quick access to a camera and lens, with space for an additional lens, as well as some water and food, maybe some filters, and if necessary a Joby tripod strapped to the side.
04-17-2021, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To be fair to Paul, "city walk-around" and "street" are not the same thing.

The former, to me at least, is more about architecture and views, where the premium full frame kit and even a tripod might be perfectly reasonable options.
The latter usually centres around quick and often candid shots of people going about their business.

I have used a traditional shoulder sling bag to carry the K-1, DA10-17, DFA15-30, FA31, DA*55, FA77, DA55-300 and a small tripod around London, and it was the impetus to search for better options.