Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 08:50 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Pentax cameras and lenses, in skilled hands, are capable of great wildlife images for sure. But you can say that about almost any system. The differences are on the "rate of success".

Photography is a highly technology-dependent form of art. So, creativity and talent aside, the more technologically advanced a system is (for the particular task intended), the greater the rate of success for the photographer.

IMO, must photographers who work on sports/wildlife photography choose Canon-Nikon-Sony for their much better AF performance combined with bigger and faster lenses. On other photography fields Pentax can be more competitive.

04-21-2021, 02:53 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have never had AF difficulty with wildlife or landscape using Pentax, including with wide angle or telephoto/super telephoto. When I use proper settings and track my subject I usually get what I am looking for.
alas I have lots of AF issues, but maybe non Pentax kit would struggle too, though my photo companion uses Fuji and gets a better hit rate. Its rapidly changing / moving and distractions in the frame that both cause me issues

This week alone I missed a bunch of shots of Jays fighting because the AF kept being distracted by nearby tree branches (AF was set to centre). Fed up of the whirring I switched to MF but nothing was in decent focus

Likewise, a bunch of field voles decided to have a romp in some undergrowth right in front of me recently. The AF just couldnt keep up, by the time the shutter would release the frame was empty . . .
04-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually use AF.C (continuous AF setting) and Spot (single point center AF setting). It works really well for me when shooting wildlife. I use a Sigma 150-500 DG OS for Pentax lens on my K-5 IIs for most wildlife. I use the Pentax in camera body (IBIS) AF stabilization system instead of the AF stabilization that is contained in the lens.

If I have something moving quickly in front of me, like hummingbirds, sometimes I will open my field of view to accommodate the scene and attempt to focus from there. I do that sometimes with other quickly moving birds also. What I mean by opening my field of view is shortening (zooming out) my lens length to accommodate the scene.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-21-2021 at 01:36 PM.