Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2021, 06:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
...something like PBlaster or WD-40; short of physical impact, I reckon that's the best way to damage a filter in a hurry...
Agreed. Lubricants, oils, and similar can be used as a last resort, maybe before breaking the glass out of one filter. Don't apply the oil directly; spray it into a disposable surface like cardboard, then use a sewing needle to precisely transfer a tiny bit to the stuck threads.

04-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #17
5ks
Pentaxian

I'm having the same problem with two pairs of filters (though none of them a polarizer), and appreciate all of the advice above. Thank you!
04-23-2021, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
To sbc, who initially suggested buying a filter wrench set (AND provided the link), and to all others who offered suggestions, I thank you. Filter wrench set has been ordered.
04-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
Use two electrical cords from lamps, actually any cords that have two wires and are flat. Wrap them around the rim of the filters and squeeze them together where they meet, and then twist the filters apart. The cords work just like those filter wrenches and are great for removing stuck filters on lenses as well.
That's good advice, I'll keep that in mind.

04-24-2021, 05:39 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendra59 Quote
To sbc, who initially suggested buying a filter wrench set (AND provided the link), and to all others who offered suggestions, I thank you. Filter wrench set has been ordered.
You'll thank yourself later. I keep a set in my camera bag so they are always with me as long as I have my bag. Comes in handy if you are in the field or traveling and the materials various improvised solutions are not readily available.

I bought my first set back in the 1980s and needed to use them just recently when a filter got stuck on my ring flash. Worked like a charm. The investment has paid itself over many times in the frustration saved.
04-30-2021, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'm adding to this thought in case the OP is confused by it. The idea here is to expand outer threads (by heating) and/or contract the inner threads (by cooling). Figure out which filter is screwed into the other. If you heat or coll the incorrect filter things will temporarily get tighter.

You can use temperature in conjunction with the filter wrench or rubber bands if the lenses are very stuck.
If the two filters in question were solid in design (I mean the outer rims themselves), the heat/cool method might work, but because one of the filters is a circular polarizer and that part of the filter still spins, it fails to solve the problem.

The very narrow section of the circular polarizer that does NOT spin doesn’t provide enough surface area to grab onto with my bare hands.

I have ordered a set of 77 - 82 mm filter wrenches off eBay, and will await their arrival. If these wrenches don’t quite do the trick, I will add a mix of heat and cold to things.

Thanks for the advice!
05-01-2021, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Once you have separated them... a trick for the future to stop it happening again is to run a pencil around the filter thread - just lightly. A couple of laps will do! Do it to all your filters. I've never ever had the problem again!

05-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #23

The wrenches are usually about 4mm thick which plenty thin for even slim line filters. Usually not a problem with polarizing filters.

Rubbing the threads along a bar of soap or a candle works to prevent jamming as well.
05-04-2021, 06:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

not sure if its mentioned here, but maybe UB40?

EDIT: Not the band, but WB40!

Last edited by hadi; 05-05-2021 at 06:02 AM.
05-04-2021, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
not sure if its mentioned here, but maybe UB40?
Yes definitely Red Red Wine should work just fine 😁
05-05-2021, 06:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
Yes definitely Red Red Wine should work just fine 😁
UB40 - Red Red Wine - YouTube
hahah, i had to do a double take, wondering when did i refer to the band.

of course, i meant wb40
05-05-2021, 06:16 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
hahah, i had to do a double take, wondering when did i refer to the band.

of course, i meant wb40
You are getting closer but still not quite there

05-06-2021, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
You are getting closer but still not quite there
oh dyslexia is great!

wd-40!!!
05-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #29

Original Poster
The frustrating thing about ordering those 77mm - 82mm filter wrenches is they will likely only be used once or twice, as the majority of Pentax lenses use a much smaller filter size... They have been shipped from the US, with a delivery time listed as being early June. Once I use them, I will give my opinion of them.

One thing I suggest is if multiple lens filters are being used, and a circular polarizer is one of the filters, put the other filters ahead of the circular polarizer. I say this from a mechanical perspective, as having the circular polarizer behind a filter/filters creates a problem like the one I am having: Not enough grip on the thin threaded portion of the polarizing filter to remove it if it gets a bit stuck.

Note I am not commenting on potential optic problems stemming from stacked filters...

Last edited by Kendra59; 05-06-2021 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added more information
05-13-2021, 01:45 PM   #30

Original Poster
I am still waiting for the filter wrenches I ordered to arrive. Delivery could be as late as the first week in June. I am a little irked that the 77mm - 82mm filter wrenches I ordered will likely only be used once; the rest of my lenses typically use 49 mm filters (one is a 52mm). But I got a pretty good price for the filters, so as long as I can get them apart it will be worth it.

I tried to use the electrical cord suggestion that a few people suggested, but it did not work. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I will post again once I have my filter wrenches and (hopefully) two separate filters.