Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #1

I have two filters that are stuck together - and I need to separate them. Help!

I bought a pair of used 77 mm filters locally, and after I got them home discovered they are stuck together. One is a UV haze filter, and the other is a circular polarizer. I need to separate them. In fact, I don't even need the UV haze filter; he said he would "throw it in".

Any suggestions on how to separate the two of them without damaging the nice Rodenstock Circular Polarizer?

04-22-2021, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Rubber band around each to give you more grip to separate them if that's the problem..?
04-22-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
freeze one side ( snow from the freezer or you possibly could have natural snow just out side - definitely not here in Western Australia ) or make one side warm
04-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you have any rubber jar openers (2 preferred). Set on the rubber, press down (preferably with a book or something for equal pressure) on the other and turn.
04-22-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A set of filter wrenches is best. The silicon jar lid openers might work also.
04-22-2021, 07:33 PM - 3 Likes   #7

The rotating element on the circular polarizer will probably negate or complicate many of the suggestions above. A set of lens filter wrenches will do the trick and are a worthwhile investment. You may not need to use them often but you'll be glad to have them when you do.

04-22-2021, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes the filters stick because of corrosion. Put a bit of a penetrating oil around where they screw together. Let it sit for a day and clean around the filters so you can have a grip before trying to separate them.
04-23-2021, 01:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Possibly a pair of rubber 'washing-up' gloves ? Put the filters in the palm of one hand, press firmly against the other filter with the other hand, then rotate the hands in opposite directions. Has worked for me in the past. Gripping the actual filter can cause minute distortions in the mount, negating the effect of physically separating them. BTW, that is probably why the haze filter was 'thrown-in' - the seller couldn't separate them either ! OTOH, as the haze filter will have little or no effect on the image, unless you intend to use the CPL on a wide-angle lens, you may find you can leave them as they are. Good luck anyway - and, as a final resort, since the haze filter is STR, you may be able to break the glass in it, then just remove the actual mount, being careful not to cut yourself on the broken glass.
04-23-2021, 03:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Rubber band trick usually works if you have nothing better to hand

Start at 1:30 to see in action on polariser
04-23-2021, 04:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Sometimes the filters stick because of corrosion. Put a bit of a penetrating oil around where they screw together. Let it sit for a day and clean around the filters so you can have a grip before trying to separate them.
I would NOT recommend this. It can damage the coatings and paint.
The jar lid removers and filter wrenches are best.
04-23-2021, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #12
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I would NOT recommend this. It can damage the coatings and paint.
The jar lid removers and filter wrenches are best.
How about some really big Vice-Grips?

No, all seriousness aside, I was about to make a witty comment about using something like PBlaster or WD-40; short of physical impact, I reckon that's the best way to damage a filter in a hurry.

By the way, this is why you should avoid filters with aluminum frames.
04-23-2021, 05:50 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Filters wrench.

Not very expensive, works well. The right tool for the job.
04-23-2021, 06:11 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use two electrical cords from lamps, actually any cords that have two wires and are flat. Wrap them around the rim of the filters and squeeze them together where they meet, and then twist the filters apart. The cords work just like those filter wrenches and are great for removing stuck filters on lenses as well.
04-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
freeze one side ( snow from the freezer or you possibly could have natural snow just out side - definitely not here in Western Australia ) or make one side warm
I'm adding to this thought in case the OP is confused by it. The idea here is to expand outer threads (by heating) and/or contract the inner threads (by cooling). Figure out which filter is screwed into the other. If you heat or coll the incorrect filter things will temporarily get tighter.

You can use temperature in conjunction with the filter wrench or rubber bands if the lenses are very stuck.