Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2021, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #1

I'm not sure what to do with these photos

Hi All,

This past autumn I was on a break between jobs (I'm a RE/Arch photographer) and was approached by a homeless man who saw me with my equipment. He explained to me that he was dying and wanted to be photographed to be remembered. We spent about 45 minutes taking photos, had lunch, and went on our own ways. He didn't personally have a phone, however, he gave me a phone number of someone who could reach him to get him the photos. This person doesn't answer/won't call me back. I don't know what to do with these photos. I'm not really a social media user, and I can't find him in person. I don't want these photos to just get buried on my hard drive, but I'm not sure of a respectful way to put them out there. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

04-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Contact the local social services office?
04-25-2021, 05:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could check at the churches, missions, or shelters in the area where you ran across him and see if anyone knows him. I'm sure they would be willing to help you.
04-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mwr6348 Quote
Hi All,

This past autumn I was on a break between jobs (I'm a RE/Arch photographer) and was approached by a homeless man who saw me with my equipment. He explained to me that he was dying and wanted to be photographed to be remembered. We spent about 45 minutes taking photos, had lunch, and went on our own ways. He didn't personally have a phone, however, he gave me a phone number of someone who could reach him to get him the photos. This person doesn't answer/won't call me back. I don't know what to do with these photos. I'm not really a social media user, and I can't find him in person. I don't want these photos to just get buried on my hard drive, but I'm not sure of a respectful way to put them out there. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Get (make) a few prints and perhaps a small flash drive and go back to the beginning, or something nearby. Only so much you can do.

04-25-2021, 11:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I second for the social services
04-26-2021, 12:43 AM   #6

Local charities working with the homeless could probably put them to good use (their social media etc).
04-26-2021, 01:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Craigslist is often used by homeless people to connect or seek assistence. Maybe run a post there.. just set up a burner email so you dont get spammed on your personal email.

Al

04-26-2021, 01:50 AM   #8
Forum Member

Maybe I can find out something by tracking down the phone number.
I hope you are lucky in your search.
04-26-2021, 04:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Social services is a good start, after that I could search charities and churches. Any kind of shelter he could have turned to. It’s a tough circumstance but I applaud your efforts to respect the wish and personality of that man.
04-26-2021, 04:38 AM   #10
dlhawes

Sounds like a "human interest story" that someone at PBS would be interested in.
04-26-2021, 04:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Most volunteer/non-profit homeless outreach organizations know the regulars they serve and their stories. (Locally, The Forgotten Louisville and Hip Hop Cares could probably help me locate someone more quickly than a government social services dept.)

I shot the photos for a magazine article on the homeless. I was advised not to go wandering into a camp without someone who.knew the residents there. Homelessness, mental illness, addiction and outstanding warrants are not an uncommon mixture. There might be some hesitation to help if they think you are searching for him due to an old warrant.
04-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't take this the wrong way, but depending on the town you're talking about, you might also consider the police department. In some cases, these departments reach out to the homeless and also may have some information which could help you identify or contact the person whose photo you took. Police have gotten a bad reputation these days but not all that is deserved and there are many police who understand the homeless situation and help in different ways. They could be a useful resource, depending on where this is.
04-26-2021, 11:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If there is a local rescue home check with them. Or any kind of place that street folks frequent, it could be different in any town, and I think the police is a good idea.
04-26-2021, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another option, especially since they are digital, might be to see if the local historical society might be interested. If the individual's goal was to be remembered that would help to honor his desire.
04-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #15
Forum Member

Finding homeless people is difficult, no doubts there. That said, the Craigslist is a solid option, probably the best if he gets periodic internet access, and it’s always worth calling the PD to see if they know the guy, they might know where he frequents etc.