Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2021, 07:30 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
EssJayEff's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: near Saxapahaw, NC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 423
"I'm working on a presentation for 25 May titled "Sacrifices at the Altar of Photographic Alteration" for a local genealogical society. The description tag for the talk is, "Photography can be seen as a history of limitations, producing slivers of time and place extracted from larger life using the technology then available. What happens, however, when we apply new technologies to old photographs? What do we gain and lose when we sacrifice an original photograph to produce a new incarnation?" My presentation will be "an examination of the practice and ethics of image alteration from the "First Photograph" to Photoshop." This virtual meeting and presentation is open to all, but registration is required. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for comments on this thread that might be useful for my talk (with due credit, of course, if it's an original thought!)

04-30-2021, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
AggieDad's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 979
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Not many other examples yet, so here are two that I don't think work in B&W.

The first is The Lady of Shalott by J.W.Waterhouse. It is a scene from Tennyson's poem of the same name and one of my favourite paintings. It is a portrait, a landscape, and it is gothic - what's not to like! I write gothic poetry myself. Waterhouse was effectively a second-generation Pre-Raphaelite, a movement of near-photographic painting with fanatical attention to detail, even in the background - no bokeh for them! I believe that some inspiration for this painting came from Millais' earlier Death of Orphelia, a scene from Hamlet, the second picture. Millais was one of the original Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.

The Orphelia scene in Hamlet, and Tennyson's poem, are full of colour. The colourful tapestry that the Lady of Shalott is weaving in depiction of the outside world is central to the poem, and of course that is lost in B&W, although it is still not a bad picture.
Thanks for these. I really like the Waterhouse. You are definitely correct – neither really translates to monochrome. And that's no different than what we photograph.

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
"I'm working on a presentation for 25 May titled "Sacrifices at the Altar of Photographic Alteration" for a local genealogical society. The description tag for the talk is, "Photography can be seen as a history of limitations, producing slivers of time and place extracted from larger life using the technology then available. What happens, however, when we apply new technologies to old photographs? What do we gain and lose when we sacrifice an original photograph to produce a new incarnation?" My presentation will be "an examination of the practice and ethics of image alteration from the "First Photograph" to Photoshop." This virtual meeting and presentation is open to all, but registration is required. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for comments on this thread that might be useful for my talk (with due credit, of course, if it's an original thought!)
I wish you the best of luck with your Zoom presentation. I am a retired teacher and quite accustomed to making presentations to adult groups. During the pandemic I have given 3 or 4 presentations and never felt as though any one of them was completely successful. I found audience participation very difficult to generate and consequently never really knew exactly whether I had them engaged or not. This happens when there are slides on the screen and the participants can't be seen.
04-30-2021, 10:15 PM   #18
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,185
This is such an interesting idea! Thanks for sharing and for all who have contributed.
05-04-2021, 06:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 483
I dont like the notion that some people have about photography ONLY to be used to capture "real" life. that anything altered pre/post is not photography, and that 'art form' is not a true representation of 'life'.

i find life boring. traditional things seem to irritate me. why cant someone sit upside down on a bench to read a paper? why cant the sky be green? why cant there be no bokeh?

art, to me, is about fun and expression. I dont use art to depict reality. So if i want something in black and white, even if its a sunset that shows vivid colors in the sky, then i will do just that.

05-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
AggieDad's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 979
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
I dont like the notion that some people have about photography ONLY to be used to capture "real" life. that anything altered pre/post is not photography, and that 'art form' is not a true representation of 'life'.

i find life boring. traditional things seem to irritate me. why cant someone sit upside down on a bench to read a paper? why cant the sky be green? why cant there be no bokeh?

art, to me, is about fun and expression. I dont use art to depict reality. So if i want something in black and white, even if its a sunset that shows vivid colors in the sky, then i will do just that.
I totally agree. The people who think that altering any part of a photo is sacrilege remind me of mimes in non-existent boxes. They are, in their own way, trapped, and can't find their way out. So, instead, they want others to come in and join them.
6 Days Ago   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 483
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I totally agree. The people who think that altering any part of a photo is sacrilege remind me of mimes in non-existent boxes. They are, in their own way, trapped, and can't find their way out. So, instead, they want others to come in and join them.
I like that analogy

I also counter that view point with makeup artists, and fashion.
makeup artists either hide, or enhance a person's features. *LIES! someone who JUST got out of bed is at their most natural. Anything altered from that point is a misrepresentation. Imagine brides without makeup, or hair done. where will that industry be?

plus, certain fashion outfits help hide/enhance a person's looks. vertical stripes makes a person look taller. black makes a person look skinnier. properly fitted outfits makes the person look more in shape. all lies! only a person in a toga should be tolerated. anything else is fictitious and should be abolished right away.









(for those who didn't pick it up, i am being sarcastic)
6 Days Ago   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
EssJayEff's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: near Saxapahaw, NC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 423
Gee . . . at that rate I figured you'd end up in a nudist colony, not a toga!

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
only a person in a toga should be tolerated
5 Days Ago   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
AggieDad's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 979
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Gee . . . at that rate I figured you'd end up in a nudist colony, not a toga!

I, on the other hand, will want (need) a properly-fitted, vertically-striped, black outfit along with some “post-processing.” Oh, and some rose-colored glasses for those looking at me.

5 Days Ago   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 483
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Gee . . . at that rate I figured you'd end up in a nudist colony, not a toga!

like theres something wrong with that? :P

it would work for the purists out there
5 Days Ago   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
EssJayEff's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: near Saxapahaw, NC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 423
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
like theres something wrong with that? :P
Nothing wrong with that at all!

---------- Post added 05-06-21 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
like theres something wrong with that? :P
Nothing wrong with that at all!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
artist, folks, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pets Meet Millie - she had had a long day! K2 to K50 Post Your Photos! 1 05-28-2020 05:14 PM
If you had your choice, who would you choose? Tonytee General Talk 43 10-01-2019 05:53 PM
Artist I admire using Pentax camera as a creative tool banep Video and Pentax HDSLRs 2 07-15-2017 11:59 AM
If Leonardo da Vinci had a camera... swamp boy General Photography 12 01-17-2015 03:15 PM
If you had a choice: Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG vs. Pentax FA* 300mm f/2.8 ED IF [NOS?] m8o Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 07-27-2007 07:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top