Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Getting going in street photography - in UK

throughout lockdown my photography has been somewhat constrained (and I have ended up buying more kit than I really need to compensate)

As a reaction to this I want to get better at street photography, but it always makes me nervous. Not from a technical perspective but from a social one, what are people going to think, do or (possibly worse) say and how will I deal with that

- in the UK what sort of experiences have others had?

04-29-2021, 05:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hello! I live in UK, been pass Saturday in Hyde Park - London. Honestly there's so many people outside just happy they can be out and enjoying the weather no one even paid attention to me running around with my camera snapping what I could.

Just do it, just go out and explore and don't care about others, do what you love
04-29-2021, 06:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't photo children. Don't look furtive. Ask if in doubt. If challenged just delete the image. Don't be tempted to use a long lens. Taking photos of people in compromised positions can be problematic. Street sellers etc, generally are more than happy to pose with their wares. And finally, smile and be engaging ...

I've never had issues in UK. Not done a great deal, but I often ask, which helps. Rarely had a rejection, but then I've chosen my subjects carefully - I'd not ask a young woman, for instance, but I would ask a biker type.
04-29-2021, 06:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks chaps. In central London folks seem pretty "whatever", dusk in Tottenham not so much. So I wonder how things change around the country

I am more intrigued by the gentle aesthetic Saul Leiter style street photography rather than the trendy, rushed, story centred style

I am also pondering the camera, got a variety of un-intimidating primes but my DSLR is kind of large (and grubby). ME Super might seem friendlier, cant delete an image then though. Pentax never did a rangefinder style (al la Fufifilm X-Pro)

Last edited by LittleSkink; 04-29-2021 at 06:50 AM.
04-29-2021, 06:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am from Austria and, as our legislative is leaning towards the german law concerning the 'right in one's own image', street photograph is a legal minefield.
My workaround when doing street photography is, that I either take images from the back or on a tripod with slow shutter speeds so noone is recognizable in the final image, or when they are, that they only appear as a peripheral matter in the image and not the main subject.
I get asked from time to time what or whom I am photographing but as there are usually no recognizable people in my images I've never had a problem with anyone.
That said, I realize that many people want to take or at least associate street photography with taking portraits of strangers on the street pursuing their own business, but you could start with that workaround until you are comfortable with the situation (Taking portraits is not for me though, as I would have to ask everyone I photograph to sign a model release which could possibly even be revocable because of GDPR laws)

Last edited by othar; 04-29-2021 at 07:04 AM.
04-29-2021, 06:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Its been quite a long time since I've been
in England but I imagine, like in the States, a pleasant attitude will help with street photography. It can be incredibly awkward at first but even the slightest engagement with a stranger, even a nod, a holding up the camera with a smile, has helped me take many photographs of every type of person imaginable, all going about their days....dont be secretive or anything. Just walk out with your camera and take a snap of something interesting, whatever that may be. If its a person just smile. When I first started taking photos I was unsure of how someone would feel having a stranger 'shooting' them but a smile and a positive attitude goes a long long way.
04-29-2021, 07:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
thats interesting, I have been looking at advice that suggests not making eye contact with folks - which seems wrong to me

I did try and get a photo taking mate interesting in going along, but he's really not keen - maybe I should look wider for a companion

As an alternative I looked at doing a course, but so far the only 1 that looked good cost quite a few quid

04-29-2021, 07:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
thats interesting, I have been looking at advice that suggests not making eye contact with folks - which seems wrong to me
Yup, I'd say that's wrong. Engage. Don't hide. Be out there. Friendly. Not making eye contact will go nowhere except trouble, soon ...
04-29-2021, 07:31 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Smile, do not hide, ask the subject for permission if you do it with kindness, there are usually no problems. If they are suspicious, show them a photo that you take on the camera, if they feel annoyed delete them in front of them.
With kindness and a smile, there are usually no problems. Avoid taking photos of children without parental permission. In some countries, for example France, Spain and others, the laws are very safe with minors and they do not like you to photograph children.
But above all, go out and enjoy yourself, there are many people who love to be photographed.
04-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

One problem you will probably come up against is the issue of public versus private spaces. Many places that people think are public spaces are not and may have job'sworth security guards who will hassle you for taking photos on private property - the Thames South Bank is a prime example. Some of these idiots will attempt to force you to hand over your kit or delete your images but they have no right to do so. Some police forces also overstep the mark but have had their knuckles rapped in the past so will probably be more sensible in their approach.

There is a useful legal guide for street photographers available on the web. Being sure of your legal rights will be useful if it comes to any sort of confrontation.
04-29-2021, 08:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I think a potential problem with web-based legal advice to photographers is that it can vary in different legislations - what is legal in my country may not be in yours, and vice versa. As very few of my photographs contain people (deliberately) except in well-defined situations, such as staff on a preserved railway, where it is axiomatic that they will be photographed performing their duties, it is unlikely that I will run foul of any such restrictive legislation. I'm just glad that so many photographers in the past were able to capture the flavour of everyday life as it was then without such petty restrictions.
04-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
One problem you will probably come up against is the issue of public versus private spaces. Many places that people think are public spaces are not and may have job'sworth security guards who will hassle you for taking photos on private property - the Thames South Bank is a prime example. Some of these idiots will attempt to force you to hand over your kit or delete your images but they have no right to do so. Some police forces also overstep the mark but have had their knuckles rapped in the past so will probably be more sensible in their approach.

There is a useful legal guide for street photographers available on the web. Being sure of your legal rights will be useful if it comes to any sort of confrontation.
Add Trafalgar Square onto the list. The wardens don't like to see "professional" looking equipment being used. However, it's them up against zillions of tourists - well in "normal" times.
04-29-2021, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do a fair bit in Lancaster and have only ever had one issueand that was with an argumentative drunk. I don't go out of my way to make eye contact but I don't hide either. Be discrete, dress discrete. If someone approaches you be yourself. Explain what you are doing. Ask them if they would like a copy emailing and if they get aggressive and won't be mollified, offer to delete the image. Very few images are worth getting in a fight for and the last thing you want is to get your gear damaged. Regarding the law, it use to be the case where you could photograph anything from public land. This changed slightly a couple of years ago to protect people from indecent snaps taken with mobile phones. Now, if someone feels you have taken an image which they deem is offensive, or if you post an image on social media and use it to demean someone, you are breaking the law. The problem is that the law left the definition of offensive down to the offended. All I do is avoid kids, anyone down on their luck or having a really bad day, shoot discretely and look like you have every right to be there, which you do. You are lucky. Cameras and street photographers are quite common in big cities, in Lancaster, not so much. Regarding gear, I use my KP and limiteds (21, 35 & 40) I also bought a super cheap Fuji X-E1 and an M42 adapter. Both are superb in different ways. Bottom line, enjoy it. Shoot light contrasts and wait for someone to walk through. Just have fun. Most of mine are just OK but I won a society comp outright with one and top scored with another so you never know what you are going to get, and therein lies the fun
04-29-2021, 10:17 AM   #14

i think it depends on the situation. I think with tourist areas there is not much of an issue. IE i was in cuba visiting a small town on one of those tours so the local population was used to tourists snapping pictures. I actually asked a group of three sitting on a park bench if i could snap there photo and they welcomed it. For regular walk about town i think i would feel nervous about it.
04-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #15
Forum Member

Since the lockdown, and the subsequent easing in the UK, I have adapted my photography from close up with a Ricoh GR to standing back a bit and using primes (40/50mm) and a 135mm on my KP. The pandemic and lockdown has provided some truly surreal scenes that will be genuinely interesting to look back on in years to come. I personally feel that it is too soon to be in people’s personal space with a camera.