Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2021, 11:42 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Wow, that Chamonix is a pretty camera. Is that wood?
Yes...oiled teak. The non-woody looking bits are alloy and carbon-fibre composite.

Steve

05-07-2021, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What the cost of 4x5 film sheets? According to google, price range 1 and 5 Euro/$ a sheet, depending on the brand. Color film 4x5 is significantly more expensive.
That sounds about right. Note that processing (develop only), per sheet, for color can be almost as high as a full roll of 35mm.

What is the main concern for getting good sharp results with 4x5 film?
DOF is razor thin and for many subjects mastery of the camera movements provides a solution.

what if the film plane doesn't exactly match the ground glass plane after inserting the film holder?
For that, one trusts the camera maker. The Graflex back is a de facto international standard and as long as camera and film holders are in good condition, the focus seen on the ground glass will the same on the emulsion face.

Steve
05-08-2021, 05:00 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
After viewing some videos and searching for lenses, cameras, film sheets, V850 scanner, and looking at prices, I concluded that getting into 4x5 is affordable, would cost about the same as buying an aspc digital system new. To make sure that nothing goes wrong when using the camera I could make and use a check list(s). For me the most tricky part would be for loading and unloading film in the dark, getting the exposures right (I already have a light meter), getting development times right, as it could be frustrating to come back from shooting some landscape and realize that something went wrong with loading, exposure or wasting good exposed films during development.
05-08-2021, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is going to sound strange but if you are going to be loading your own film try to keep your fingernail on the finger next to your thumb or your middle finger a little longer than normal -- this will help you to slip your nail under the top of the film to grasp only the very top when loading and unloading. You'll see what I mean when you try loading a sheet. Sacrifice a sheet of film or use a blown exposure sheet to practice in daylight before trying with your hands in a changing bag. Also beware with older film holders the grooves on the side may be a little tight and make it a little more difficult to get the film in and out -- it varies with holder and use/abuse the holders have been through. It all becomes second nature after a while.

05-16-2021, 01:50 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Chamonix field camera (highly recommended)
It looks like Chamonix view cameras is actually a Chinese company. But they partnered with JOBO, which apparently originates from Germany, founded in 1923. Even more interesting, JOBO organizes film photography & darkroom workshops near Cologne, Germany over two days, decent price if it saves a lot of trial & error. I think such workshop is what I need to plan for my next holidays .
05-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It looks like Chamonix view cameras is actually a Chinese company.
Yes...the owner is a mountaineer, hence the non-Chinese name.

But they partnered with JOBO, which apparently originates from Germany, founded in 1923.
That is something new that should prove a boon to both the maker and JOBO, at least in Europe. The rest of us deal directly with the factory. With any luck JOBO will have cameras at the workshop.

Steve
05-17-2021, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With any luck JOBO will have cameras at the workshop.
Yes, it looks like they are doing the workshop with a Chamonix camera, that's what they show in the workshop flyer.

05-18-2021, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder why nobody mentions to get a 4x5 enlarger. The wet darkroom is the ultimate way of treating 4x5 negatives Tessar lenses are worth to consider
06-15-2021, 12:55 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
I wonder why nobody mentions to get a 4x5 enlarger. The wet darkroom is the ultimate way of treating 4x5 negatives
Space needed at home for such equipment? Looking at enlargers for sales at B&H, it looks like larger than 24" isn't very common. I don't know how low of quality by flat bed scanner would compare to purely optical enlargement from neg. to photo paper. Digital scanner type Epson V700/V800 is much smaller to own.
06-15-2021, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Given your stated goals, you might consider researching medium format film cameras. Mamiya and Bronica SLR bodies and lenses are readily available as are Yashica TLR's for120/220 film. That type of (tank) film processing is much easier and more economical than sheet film as well.

The transfer of modern camera skills to MF film is much easier and more economical than to sheet film as well.
I second this. The enlarger and accompanying lens needed is also somewhat smaller and should be cheaper, but IDK. As an added bonus, the development tanks for 120 film works for 35mm film as well.

Check out one of these bad boys. You will note that the aperture ring has an A position, just like your DSLR kit.

06-16-2021, 02:01 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Biz engineer
dontknow the market in USA, in Denmakr analouge prices are pretty low. I got a Bezeler 4x5 with colorhead, 5 Rodenstock enlarging lensesplus more equipment for free from a retiring professional photographer. He said ;: if you dont take it will be destroyed. The trouble compared to the price was not attractive. Many members of the Danish photohistorical society have the same experience
With a Canon 8800 scanner 135 film are unsharp, 120 fil is acceptable but not good untill 4 times magnification.
I admit that a darkroom is space demanding, but what did you do in the past if you wanted the full conroll over your black and white photos?
A good advice is to get an understandind and supporting partner- I have

Last edited by niels hansen; 06-17-2021 at 02:46 AM. Reason: unclear language